WWE: Best Heel of the last 10 years?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Randy Orton from late 2008 to early 2009 was some of the most compelling heel work I seen this decade. This was when he was transitioning into his more psychotic character. Too bad Triple H destroyed all his momentum at Mania.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Heat as in people want him to get his ass kicked or heat as in people would actually try to kill him? For the former, Miz is probably a good candidate. For the latter, easily CM Punk during the SES days.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's difficult to pinpoint one standout because a lot of the best heels have only been part time in the last ten years. Jericho's 2008ish run is probably the best heel work of the last ten years. Edge was consistently a very good heel in the 2000s, but his best run was 11-12 years ago. Punk had great periods as a heel. Suzuki is very effective as a heel in Japan. Kevin Owens has been the best heel in wrestling for a few years now. Credit also to the Miz, who over the last few years has gone from essentially a joke to a great mid-card heel.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
CM Punk from June-July 2011 had a career's worth of bad guy material in a very short period of time when he, Cena, and Mysterio all caught fire at the same time. Pretty fitting that Bret Hart refereed one of their matches, because CM Punk was on that 1997-wavelength.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Miz? I think Triple H was majority babyface since 2007 until The Authority angle, and even that is balanced out with his NXT stuff.

Miz is a guy who gets a lot of heat and makes people want to see him get his ass kicked while also doing many good things for his counterparts, namely Riley and Sandow.

CM Punk is one too when he did his turn in 2012. A guy that was seemingly loved overwhelmingly got the crowd to almost completely turn on him beautifully because he was such a despicable *******. Too bad it lasted less than a year.

Edge is another one for sure.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It's difficult to pinpoint one standout because a lot of the best heels have only been part time in the last ten years. Jericho's 2008ish run is probably the best heel work of the last ten years. Edge was consistently a very good heel in the 2000s, but his best run was 11-12 years ago. Punk had great periods as a heel. Suzuki is very effective as a heel in Japan. Kevin Owens has been the best heel in wrestling for a few years now. Credit also to the Miz, who over the last few years has gone from essentially a joke to a great mid-card heel.

Jericho came to my mind as well. His feud with HBK was terrific.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Maybe I don't understand something about pro wrestling, but in my opinion Owens, who can't get his face opponent cheered over him and mocks the tired wrestling cliches to get laughs and cheers, isn't a good heel at all.
In fact, I don't even know. The Shield as a heel group were great. Miz, Charlotte, CM Punk and that's it I guess. In fact, Ellsworth is doing a great job.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Maybe I don't understand something about pro wrestling, but in my opinion Owens, who can't get his face opponent cheered over him and mocks the tired wrestling cliches to get laughs and cheers, isn't a good heel at all.
In fact, I don't even know. The Shield as a heel group were great. Miz, Charlotte, CM Punk and that's it I guess. In fact, Ellsworth is doing a great job.

I'd give it to Miz as the best one now. KO is too funny/likable to be a true heel.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The problem with heels like Owens and Styles is that they're so good and well liked that people want to see them win. It's hard for the other guy to get any heat because people just love KO and Styles.

Vickie Guerrero should get an honorable mention, people HATED her so much.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

That's a very valid point. It can be difficult to differentiate between good heel/face work and reactions (particularly when simply being bad at wrestling is a sufficient way to get booed), and some would say that there is no need to differentiate. I wouldn't disqualify someone from being a good heel just because they are liked though. I wouldn't say that Darth Vader or Hannibal Lecter aren't good villains because people like them, just that they aren't pure villains. Likewise, Owens isn't a pure heel. Perhaps the best way to put it is that Owens is the best wrestler consistently working as a heel the last few years.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's a three way problem.

WWE can't book or write faces, so there is no one for the fans to like. These leads the fans to cheer for the best workers/characters that are heels. This means that the heels are really the faces to the fans in their matches, so they get cheer for being good heels.

So you have guys like Owens and Styles who are great at everything getting cheered in their heel programs, and it's really not their fault.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Punk transcended the company at times. I don't know how many times I saw 'Punk brought be back' posts on here.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Coolest "heel": CM Punk
Actual heel: 2008-2009 Jericho when feuding with HBK. The guy even made my mother who hates wrestling absolutely despise him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad