Bergevin happy crying while talking about Gallagher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Bergevin messed up big time on Anderson's contract, but overall, he did a really good job this year. On paper, at least.

It's the first time in almost 10 years that I'm looking forward for the first game lol

Can't wait to watch the final product

As for the Gallagher's contract, there were no gifts from Gallagher, but the contract is market value. Plus, he's the next Captain, face of the franchise, etc. And we need him to score goals, so...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's a good representation of what most people get out of education. People might write some essays with wikipedia as the primary reference or memorize material the night before the final and forget it the next day. For most of the population education is overrated, and it's an economic disservice to require it as a prerequisite to a middle class job.
Middle
Class
Job

?

Also, I disagree with that, Im sorry, but I think you come from an educated background (Probably your family too?)

I am literally the only one with a higher education in my family, extended to cousins of both sides, an education is essential, from what Ive seem.

Reactions: Doc5 and ArtPeur

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I knew a lot of successful business people who had no diplomas. And have known a lot of MBAs that litteraly sucked at business. One does not equal the other. Being street smart is a great form of intelligence.

I never judge a human by its education.
My dad is a good example of this, he rose from St henri in the 60s, a family of 11 and never got an education... Hes now a millionaire.

With that said, obviously its not black and white.

Bergevin is also a very succesful man, Im not taking that away from him.

Reactions: dinodebino

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Middle
Class
Job

?

Also, I disagree with that, Im sorry, but I think you come from an educated background (Probably your family too?)

I am literally the only one with a higher education in my family, extended to cousins of both sides, an education is essential, from what Ive seem.

No, I'm the first of my family to get a post secondary degree (I think my sister almost finished), my mother didn't finish high school.

An education is essential for all credentialist professions. That's true by definition.

But it's not essential for skill, competence, passion, or reason.

Meanwhile most people in university are only there for the partying and the degree. They either don't care about the material or barely care.

Never mind CEGEP and high school which you're critical of Bergevin for not finishing.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
That's a good representation of what most people get out of education. People might write some essays with wikipedia as the primary reference or memorize material the night before the final and forget it the next day. For most of the population education is overrated, and it's an economic disservice to require it as a prerequisite to a middle class job.

All good points. Also, education doesn’t quantify the quality of an individual.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, I'm the first of my family to get a post secondary degree (I think my sister almost finished), my mother didn't finish high school.

An education is essential for all credentialist professions. That's true by definition.

But it's not essential for skill, competence, passion, or reason.

Meanwhile most people in university are only there for the partying and the degree. They either don't care about the material or barely care.

Never mind CEGEP and high school which you're critical of Bergevin for not finishing.

I think its very different in Quebec when it comes to higher education.

Obviously its not essential to anything, but it sure can help someone if they choose to better themselves.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Obviously its not essential to anything, but it sure can help someone if they choose to better themselves.

I went to McGill for undergrad. I took courses in three different faculties.

Education can help for the minority of people who make good use of their time there. But people can make good use of their time in places other than the classroom.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I went to McGill for undergrad. I took courses in three different faculties.

Education can help for the minority of people who make good use of their time there. But people can make good use of their time in places other than the classroom.[/QUOTE]
Can we agree that this is way less likely ?

I don't know, maybe I have had better experiences than most in school I guess.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Do I need to teach you about sample size or can we stop here?
I myself am "higher educated" in a relevant degree: economics. I can safely tell you that the material Bergevin would be learning in many majors would do nothing to change how he approaches business.

Hell, Babcock took some sports psychology classes and basically tried to intentionally create a toxic work environment with Marner and the vets of the Toronto team.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Interviewers are more likely to look at the diplomas between 2 people applying for a normal job.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
words missing

It's less likely because our society funnels the most talented people to higher education. That's a selection effect -- you should know about that !

You know a lot about weightlifting and physiology. Did you learn by taking it anatomy courses? How did you learn about macros? From nutrition 101?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's less likely because our society funnels the most talented people to higher education. That's a selection effect -- you should know about that !

You know a lot about weightlifting and physiology. Did you learn by taking it anatomy courses? How did you learn about macros? From nutrition 101?

Reading and reading, basically. I dont expect most people to be such a nerd though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I myself am "higher educated" in a relevant degree: economics. I can safely tell you that the material Bergevin would be learning in many majors would do nothing to change how he approaches business.

Hell, Babcock took some sports psychology classes and basically tried to intentionally create a toxic work environment with Marner and the vets of the Toronto team.

Yeah it doesn't mean it will work. A guy like Guy Boucher benefited from it though, his failures were probably linked to his education too.

I dont know, I might have an utopic view of the value of education for what it did to me, our opinions are shaped by how we experience them after all.

Reactions: dinodebino

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Reading and reading, basically. I dont expect most people to be such a nerd though.
Yes but Bergevin is clearly a hockey nerd.

Would he be a better GM if he had played fewer games in order to learn how to compute derivatives?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

I don’t think it’s about being better a business. Who cares, for some “higher education” is important and to others it’s not.

Just because one may have more formal education doesn’t mean they are any better of a person than one anyone else. Like you, I’m “higher educated” but I don’t think I’m any better than those that aren’t. In fact, I’m just a flawed, if not more!

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t think it’s about being better a business. Who cares, for some “higher education” is important and to others it’s not.

Just because one may have more formal education doesn’t mean they are any better of a person than one anyone else. Like you, I’m “higher educated” but I don’t think I’m any better than those that aren’t. In fact, I’m just a flawed, if not more!
Nobody actually thinks hes better than anyone in this thread.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Hold on, is he saying buckle up for this year? Not the following year where we can add a killer wrist shot from within in Caufield? I just see it as a learning year, not a no-excuse year. I think shit gets real in 21-22 with a really good push possible for 22-23.

Is that realistic? Weber will be 37 and nearly 38 come playoff time and Price will be 35 almost 36?

The deals I'm seeing are to make the next 2 years as strong as possible but this team may have a hard time being competitive moving past 2021-2022 when both Price and Weber consume 25% of our cap while not being those kind of players anymore.

Time catches up to everyone...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is that realistic? Weber will be 37 and nearly 38 come playoff time and Price will be 35 almost 36?

The deals I'm seeing are to make the next 2 years are as strong as possible but this team may have a hard time being competitive moving past 2021-2022 when both Price and Weber consume 25% of our cap while not being those kind of players anymore.

Time catches up to everyone...
Is 35 too old for a generational goaltender like Price? Marty was good until like 39? Hank ? Lu?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Price is a goalie that should age well, theoretically speaking. He doesn't rely on athleticism as much as others, but on his size and positioning.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Is 35 too old for a generational goaltender like Price? Marty was good until like 39? Hank ? Lu?

All 3 started dipping around 36 and certainly weren't worth their original salary during the twilight years. It doesn't make them bad goalies even during those years but they certainly weren't leading teams to glory during that span. Tim Thomas was one of the exceptions but he hasn't been in the NHL since he was 20 like Price.

I stand by my statement Bergevin made some solid moves but he is clearly maximizing the remaining strong years that Price/Weber have remaining.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
My dad is a good example of this, he rose from St henri in the 60s, a family of 11 and never got an education... Hes now a millionaire.

With that said, obviously its not black and white.

Bergevin is also a very succesful man, Im not taking that away from him.
The story of your father is the story that I loooove to read. Kudos to him. They are the real heroes. He earned it, like the old ad used to say.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad