Confirmed with Link: Benoit Pouliot signs with Sabres, 1 year $1.15M

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I see him more as a Foligno replacement.

What the hell the difference? Bottom 6 LW regardless. He doesn't bring the physical game either carrier or foligno did but has much more offensive upside. Wheels may be equal to foligno's but less than carrier. He racks up 40 points and I eat serious crow...he continues to regress offensively and provides no real "intangibles" to the game and I'd just as soon break in baptiste/bailey/fasching etc

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What the hell the difference? Bottom 6 LW regardless. He doesn't bring the physical game either carrier or foligno did but has much more offensive upside. Wheels may be equal to foligno's but less than carrier. He racks up 40 points and I eat serious crow...he continues to regress offensively and provides no real "intangibles" to the game and I'd just as soon break in baptiste/bailey/fasching etc

Pouliot can also PK well. He was 3rd on the Oilers among forwards, and some Oil fans get on him for being too defensive minded at times.

Sounds to me like he's a Hecht that takes games/shifts off from time to time.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Pouliot adds needed LW depth that's worth the gamble, especially at that term and AAV, to see if he can improve upon last year's poor form. Based on career averages, odds are that Pouliot chips in at least what Foligno would have added at a discount, minus the hitting of course. If his production continues to nosedive, then he either hits the fourth line, press box, or waivers and is gone by this time next year at the absolute latest.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I think Griffith is the Carrier replacement (fringe NHL-er). Pouliot is Foligno replacement (big body) and Pomers - Ennis's (guy that could put points on the board). If we are talking replacements...

Griffith isn't a Carrier replacement. He'll never be a regular here, he's an AHLer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
https://sports.yahoo.com/five-good-five-bad-signings-nhl-free-agent-day-2017-000638452.html

The five best contracts from July 1

(As of 6:30 p.m. ET.)

5 – Benoit Pouliot, Buffalo Sabres

One of the best under the radar signings of the day.

Look, he didn’t sign himself to a 5-year, $20 million deal with the Edmonton Oilers. They inked him, it didn’t work out, they ate the last two years of his contract and life goes on.

So with that cash in pocket, he signs with the Sabres for $1.15 million for one season, which is an incredible bargain for a player who could slide in as a second line left wing and help on the power play. This is a guy that can get you around 0.60 points per game on average. As a replacement for someone like Marcus Foligno? That’s a stellar, short-term add.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I was under the impression he has good wheels.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I see him more as a Foligno replacement.

If you're plugging Pouliot in somethig along the line of Larsson/checking/4th line, then sure... he's the Foligno replacement

If you see him bringing more of a top 9 glue/complimentary scoring line player, than he is more of a Carrier replacement

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
McGinn was a net front guy who routinely saw the other team run over him when he's out there.

You've almost picked the perfect opposite.
They're both one year, low IQ scoring line bolt-ons.

And I've repeatedly called Pouliot an upgrade on most of the guys who've cycled through O'Reilly and Eichel's wings. Chill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad