Confirmed with Link: Benoit Pouliot signs with Sabres, 1 year $1.15M

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I watched so many Oilers games the last 2 players and this player drives me absolutely bonkers. Just takes so many offensive zone bonehead penalties, but for a million bucks it's a steal to get a guy who can really play anywhere.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Good team guy. Good skater. He's the kind of player you want when inevitable injuries happen. Can slot up and down the lineup. If he can penalty kill and contribute 30-35 points it's good value.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For the analytics crowd, here's an encouraging assessment that Botterill was very likely aware of:

It’s important to acknowledge that Pouliot was not a good player for the Oilers in 2016-17. It’s also important to note what an aberration that was.

Pouliot has long been pigeonholed as a bottom-six player, and thus limited in terms of how much he played. But on a per-minute basis, he’s always been a highly effective scorer, which can be a sign of a player who has been underappreciated.

Over the seven seasons between 2009 and 2016, Pouliot scored 2.0 points/hour in 5-on-5 situations. That ranks 56th in the NHL over that span, a number a little better than Mats Zuccarello and a little bit worse than Alex Steen.

It’s possible Pouliot’s scoring rate would have dipped with more ice-time, but that’s not what happened in his first two years in Edmonton, the first time in his career he got that opportunity. He scored 1.9 and 2.1 points/hour, respectively, in 2014-15 and 2015-16. He was also on-pace to easily top 20 goals both years when injury made that impossible.

That’s not all. Prior to 2016-17, Pouliot’s on-ice shot metrics were superior to his team’s average for seven consecutive seasons. His on-ice goal numbers were superior to the team average in six of those seven seasons. His teams do a better job of outshooting and outscoring their opponents when he’s out there.

In short, Pouliot delivers genuine offensive punch and has been part of effective two-way lines for virtually his entire NHL career. He definitely deserves a chance to show that last season was a bump in the road, and the team that bets on him could get a very good player for pennies on the dollar.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-ufa-bargain-bin-four-players-analytics-identify-value-adds/

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

“Last year was a really down year, negative in terms of personal stats and the way I played the game,†Pouliot said Saturday on a conference call. “It’s frustrating. I was really frustrated the whole year and I couldn’t get the game going.

“Not that I didn’t get a chance. The coaches down there and the management did so. I think, for me, it was figuring my game out, and I didn’t do that.â€

“I’m hoping to get a good look in Buffalo and a fresh start,†Pouliot said. “I’m going to be 31 years old. I’m not 23, 24 anymore. So I think I’m just looking for the best opportunity for me to extend my career. Buffalo is a team that’s rebuilding everything, and it’s the same thing for me in Edmnton, the first year I signed (in 2014).â€

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Would have been nice to get Vanek back over Pouliot who has been utter trash. But I was told how we had no room and Pouliot is better and a better fit by the brain trust here. He's been horrendous. He's a 13th forward at best.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's never going to do anything on this team until other players start rolling. Unfortunately there's one player on the entire team driving play right now.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@JourdonLaBarber -
#Sabres get the lead back on Sam Reinhart's first goal of the year.
Pouliot forced a turnover on the forecheck, puck dribbled toward the slot.
Reinhart tapped it in. It's 2-1 Buffalo after two.
Assist marks Pouliot's first point as a Sabre.
Scoring change awards #Sabres second goal to Pouliot.
That's his first as a Sabre. Was originally credited to Reinhart.

Brian Koziol @BrianWGR -
Reinhart says he thinks the game-winning goal went off his stick #Sabres

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@JourdonLaBarber -
#Sabres get the lead back on Sam Reinhart's first goal of the year.
Pouliot forced a turnover on the forecheck, puck dribbled toward the slot.
Reinhart tapped it in. It's 2-1 Buffalo after two.
Assist marks Pouliot's first point as a Sabre.
Scoring change awards #Sabres second goal to Pouliot.
That's his first as a Sabre. Was originally credited to Reinhart.

Brian Koziol @BrianWGR -
Reinhart says he thinks the game-winning goal went off his stick #Sabres

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remember thinking this was a nice get. He's prone to such long layoffs in his own play that he wasn't even capable of getting a mid-round pick ala. Torrey Mitchell. Instead, teams loaded up on retreads like Brian Gionta and Chris Kelly for free. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in Europe next year.

I am clear that I don't want to see him in this organization any longer.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
there are only 5 players in the entire NHL who have played 50 games, and have fewer assists than Pouliot.... and one of them is Jordan Nolan.

Here's a hilarious stat....

There are only 17 players... in the entire NHL.... who have played at least 50 games and have 5 or fewer assists.... and 4 of them play for the Sabres (Nolan 3, Pouliot 4, Zemgus 5, Wilson 5)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
there are only 5 players in the entire NHL who have played 50 games, and have fewer assists than Pouliot.... and one of them is Jordan Nolan.

There are only 17 players... in the entire NHL.... who have played at least 50 games and have 5 or fewer assists.... and 4 of them play for the Sabres (Nolan 3, Pouliot 4, Zemgus 5, Wilson 5)

This day was bad for me already...why?! Go away lol

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

Who is the 5th?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad