GDT: Belarus vs Sweden (Mod warning in post #101)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Note: We're discussing hockey, not politics. Further posts that show that posters don't understand this will lead to formal warnings and thread-bans.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I’m not expecting dominant wins with this roster, but losing against Denmark and Belarus is unacceptable.
Feels like Garpenlöv had zero plan except hoping for NHL players and when that didn’t really happen he had nothing.

For me it's a total shock, I like Garpenlöv but obviously he failed motivating, coaching and pushing the players completely.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
No, it hasn't. But the only positive quality you can get - by signing defensive pairings or top lines who have great chemistry, instead we get this. Dysfunctional garbage. Skellefteå had a very productive and effective line before the WC. Was it kept intact? Of course not, because Garpenlöv expected a floodwave of NHL signings where he could sit and drink whiskey while the team did the rest.

I can guarantee you the 4 best lines and defensive pairings from the SEL would've done much better than this clown circus with inept defensemen from the Swiss league. Or NHL players in a role they're not supposed to handle.

The team plays like it has no plan and that starts with the team composition, which starts with the inept coach, which starts at the main foundation of the organization. They're clowns. The general quality of Swedish players has covered that ugly truth for a long time.

This is a good wakeup call that there should be pressure that the national team has won alot DESPITE the dysfunctional morons calling the shots.

Say what you will about former coaches like Hardy, BÅG and Pär Mårts, but at least they had success as SHL coaches before being hired for the national team. Let's not forget that Swedish junior hockey was in shambles in the early 2000s, before Tommy Boustedt came in started implementing changes in youth hockey development. It seems like the federation has started reverting back to old ways after he left.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Didnt team sweden decline 19 NHL players that wanted to come? What the heck. Are they playing like this to get rid of the coach ?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Didnt team sweden decline 19 NHL players that wanted to come? What the heck. Are they playing like this to get rid of the coach ?

the thing is that most of them are nothing but decent nhlers or ahlers who got few nhl games, garpenlöv wanted only "stars" and joakim nordström, since he think we have enough depth in europe.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden

Not exactly, we know from news paper interviews that Lias Andersson and Mathias Bromé were willing to go.

This the list of players not invited according to the federation website, it is unknown who of them that wanted to go:

Ej tillfrågade
Jacob Larsson, Anaheim Ducks
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Arizona Coyotes
Viktor Söderström, Arizona Coyotes
Rasmus Asplund, Buffalo Sabres
Alexander Nylander, Chicago Blackhawks
Emil Bemström, Columbus Blue Jackets
Kevin Stenlund, Columbus Blue Jackets
Gabriel Carlsson, Columbus Blue Jackets
Christian Djoos, Detroit Red Wings
Gustav Lindström, Detroit Red Wings
Mathias Bromé, Detroit Red Wings
Tobias Björnfot, Los Angeles Kings
Carl Grundström, Los Angeles Kings
Lias Andersson, Los Angeles Kings
Jesper Boqvist, New Jersey Devils
Marcus Högberg, Ottawa Senators
Anton Forsberg, Ottawa Senators
Filip Gustavsson, Ottawa Senators
Erik Brännström, Ottawa Senators
Robert Hägg, Philadelphia Flyers
Joel Kellman, San Jose Sharks
Fredrik Händemark, San Jose Sharks

We definitely need help on the blue line, so I think at least Brännström, Björnfot and Lindström should've been asked. The forwards idk, most of them are wingers in the same mold as Rakell, Olofsson and Kempe but with worse stats. What we are lacking forward wise is centers. I guess Lias Andersson would've been worth a look.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I realize it's complicated deciding upon a roster these days for the national team but this was a complete failure, both a roster and a coaching failure.

We (Swedes) are sometimes a bit difficult to analyze though. When we are too relaxed, laid back and calm it's simply not good, it's dangerous in a sport like hockey. Before every Swedish game we should have somebody there doing faceslaps. ;-) Sometimes we lack energy, intensity and grit unless playing a team like Canada (usually I L O V E how Sweden play vs Canada but I wish we could play intensive like that all games).

At least the journalists have something to write about now a year or two.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Or maybe Kazakstan, Latvia, Denmark and Belarus are real powerhouses this year?

Not sure ;-) but of course it's good for hockey with countries like Denmark and Belarus improving. Hurts it's against Sweden though... why not defeating Finland instead? ;-)

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden

Ran the article through Google Translate, seems like he is allright:

In the 10th minute of the World Cup match Sweden - Belarus, the defender of our national team Yevgeny Lisovets tried to stop the opponent's forward Karl Klingberg, but unsuccessfully fell and collided with the board.
The 26-year-old hockey player could not leave the site on his own and, after a long pause caused by the work of doctors, was taken away on a stretcher.
According to preliminary information, Evgeny Lisovets received an upper body injury. The hockey player was taken to the hospital for further diagnostics.
UPD. After the match, the Hockey.by correspondent in Riga Dmitry Avramchik received a comment from Evgeny, who said that the episode ended for him without serious consequences.
Evgeny Lisovets: thank you all for your support, everything is fine with me

Reactions: Elvs

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not sure ;-) but of course it's good for hockey with countries like Denmark and Belarus improving. Hurts it's against Sweden though... why not defeating Finland instead? ;-)

Didn't Kazakhstan do exactly this? Of course, Finns, unlike Swedes, got one point, but they still were beaten.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
No, it hasn't. But the only positive quality you can get - by signing defensive pairings or top lines who have great chemistry, instead we get this. Dysfunctional garbage. Skellefteå had a very productive and effective line before the WC. Was it kept intact? Of course not, because Garpenlöv expected a floodwave of NHL signings where he could sit and drink whiskey while the team did the rest.

I can guarantee you the 4 best lines and defensive pairings from the SEL would've done much better than this clown circus with inept defensemen from the Swiss league. Or NHL players in a role they're not supposed to handle.

The team plays like it has no plan and that starts with the team composition, which starts with the inept coach, which starts at the main foundation of the organization. They're clowns. The general quality of Swedish players has covered that ugly truth for a long time.

This is a good wakeup call that there should be pressure that the national team has won alot DESPITE the dysfunctional morons calling the shots.
Glad that some Swedes, recognize that this team is disconnected and I am glad to here that it is not the quality of the player.
Sweden did not loose, games, because of missing NHL players.
With this coach, they may even loose with the NHL stars missing.

Newer has I seen this team so disconnected. Sad, Sad, sad.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
It is Sweden so I don't see that is that big a task.

Then you haven't seen this clown show for 120 minutes. Basically NOTHING in the traditional Swedish hockey strategy is working. Nothing. I'll be happy if this team manages to win against Great Britain.

I've never seen a more dysfunctional Swedish national team in... 30 years?
I will say, I has not seen many team that disconnected teams in 30 years.

It is really a chock how bad Sweden has played in this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad