Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Maybe I was a little too vague .....small town ..Town league that has been run by same couple of guys for a few years ....they collect close to 20k from 60 players 4 teams ....they pay refs , ice , timekeeper etc .....because there has been never any financial accounting some players in league who know their revenues and expenses and things really don't add up ....when players have asked for information they are stonewalled ....nobody is accusing anyone of wrong doing but feel that financial information should be available on request ...Do u feel that make sense or just turn blind eye to this?

$20k/60players is $333.33 a player... is this a full winter league? Because that's really cheap.

Or when you say the accounting doesn't add up do you mean the other direction, where they should be losing a ton of money so maybe they're using the league as some nefarious criminal front? :sarcasm:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
sounds like the ref did his job properly. You hit the other team's goalie so he called you for interference. Maybe you only hit the goalie because you were pushed in to him, but that's not how the ref saw it. Like you said at the end of your post, refs only need to do their job properly. Sounds like you also want them to do it perfectly which, unfortunately, is a very unreasonable expectation.

Missing a call here and there is not worthy of crying about it on a message board. That's called hockey.

I've had refs apologize to me for missing a call and I tell them that until I start playing a perfect game I don't expect them to ref a perfect game either.

On the other hand, if a ref is awful and blows several calls throughout the game you have the right to be upset. Still not worthy of complaining on this message board, but at least you would have legs to stand on if you wanted to give the ref some grief during the game.

:rolleyes:

This is the "beer league frustrations vent thread." I play beer league. I was frustrated. I vented. Get over yourself, please.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

This is the "beer league frustrations vent thread." I play beer league. I was frustrated. I vented. Get over yourself, please.

hey man, you're new to hockey. As a lifelong vet, just trying to give you advice on when you should/should not be upset about what happened in a beer league game. Griping over one missed call is definitely in the "should not" category.

Griping about refs in general is pretty much a waste of time. Going up to a ref and complaining about a call is an even bigger waste of time. Been doing this for decades and I can count on less than one hand the amount of times I've seen a ref change a call after someone complained about it.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014

i agree, i had someone else try and lecture me a couple pages ago about me having "bad form" regarding my vent. now I'm venting about beer league vent threads!!! :help:

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Shorten your damn shifts. Even if you don't care about anyone else, you'll skate faster in four one-minute shifts than you will over a four-minute shift. We will all be impressed by your amazing speed, I promise.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Shorten your damn shifts. Even if you don't care about anyone else, you'll skate faster in four one-minute shifts than you will over a four-minute shift. We will all be impressed by your amazing speed, I promise.

There are athletes and there are non-athletes playing beer league hockey; and it's not directly related to skating, playing or 'athletic' ability or fitness, but rather how to maximise your performance and maximise the chances of winning. It's an awareness. If you put Le Bron in a rec hockey team, soccer team, paintball or whatever, he'd pretty quickly figure out how to maximise his performance and best contribute to winning or to the team performing.

It's just lost on some people, the concept of how to perform best and how best to compete and win. Those guys who aren't 'athletes' are the ones who never get it and never will get it, they don't have awareness and they're usually the ones who talk the most telling others what to do..and who skate the long shifts. The athletes just shut up and play. I play pick up with some guys who aren't great skaters, but have plenty of clues and make good plays and don't hog the ice. Conversely there are some guys that have plenty of skills but little awareness in terms of improving the team or results. I know who I prefer to play with.

Last edited:

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Last night we only had 5 show up, out of 14 rostered players. This would have been great if I was in my 20's, but we managed to still get the W!

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Last night we only had 5 show up, out of 14 rostered players. This would have been great if I was in my 20's, but we managed to still get the W!

How is this possible? Don't you guys use something like Team Cowboy to track how many guys you will have and if subs are needed?

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
First game back in like four months is at 10:45PM. I almost want to tell the guy I don't want to play, but I do miss the ice.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
How is this possible? Don't you guys use something like Team Cowboy to track how many guys you will have and if subs are needed?

This is only my second season with this team, the captain sends out an email the day of as well as a group text. I'm on the emails but not the group texts, so I'm not too sure what other means he may use to track who is or is not going to be there.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Join a group to play some 'fun" hockey . Being new I was paired up with the bottom line.
Made a short pass to my line mate and he does not bother taking the pass when it goes directly on his tape.
He looks like all he wants to do is skate up and down the wing.
When we get to the offensive zone I tell him to go in front of the net, where he can get rebounds or at least I can pass a simple pass he can redirect to the net.
He doesnt even follow my directions.
Just frustrated. I really dont know why he suits up just to skate around and no concept of team play.:help:

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Join a group to play some 'fun" hockey . Being new I was paired up with the bottom line.
Made a short pass to my line mate and he does not bother taking the pass when it goes directly on his tape.
He looks like all he wants to do is skate up and down the wing.
When we get to the offensive zone I tell him to go in front of the net, where he can get rebounds or at least I can pass a simple pass he can redirect to the net.
He doesnt even follow my directions.
Just frustrated. I really dont know why he suits up just to skate around and no concept of team play.:help:

I know the type. I don't get it either. My theory is that some guys you wind up playing pick up hockey with didn't grow up playing the game and missed a lot of the fundamentals. You've also got guys who maybe have the fundamentals but have zero hockey sense. If this guy falls into either of these categories, it's unlikely that a little talk on the ice or on the bench is going sink in...

If you're going to continue to play with this guy or guys like this, I have learned that it's probably better to play to his skill set rather than vice versa. 99% of the time he will probably do the opposite of what you would do, so accept his limitations, put him in positions to succeed (that he understands) and try to have fun with it. It will create an interesting challenge for you and being able to make these types of adjustments to his tendencies helps make you more versatile and a better teammate in the future.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
If you're going to continue to play with this guy or guys like this, I have learned that it's probably better to play to his skill set rather than vice versa. 99% of the time he will probably do the opposite of what you would do, so accept his limitations, put him in positions to succeed (that he understands) and try to have fun with it. It will create an interesting challenge for you and being able to make these types of adjustments to his tendencies helps make you more versatile and a better teammate in the future.

I love this. Great way to approach the situation.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I know the type. I don't get it either. My theory is that some guys you wind up playing pick up hockey with didn't grow up playing the game and missed a lot of the fundamentals. You've also got guys who maybe have the fundamentals but have zero hockey sense. If this guy falls into either of these categories, it's unlikely that a little talk on the ice or on the bench is going sink in...

Ended up playing with another line with who I have more "chemistry" with They know when to take and give a pass Not wanting to be on the ice with this guy all the time

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
First game back in like four months is at 10:45PM. I almost want to tell the guy I don't want to play, but I do miss the ice.

Is this in Brandon? This is the exact reason I stopped playing there. They wanted some people to start games at 11:30 on a Monday night, get the **** out of here with that. I love playing but sorry, i've got a career.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Tournaments stop being fun when teams play below their skill level.

Played in a bronze division against two teams that beat us by a combined score of 15-3. They both made the championship because nobody else could compete with them.

He'll, one of the teams had some Czech guys who played in one of the pro leagues out there. What exactly are you trying to prove in some rinky dink tourney in a division one step above novice?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
He'll, one of the teams had some Czech guys who played in one of the pro leagues out there. What exactly are you trying to prove in some rinky dink tourney in a division one step above novice?

I'm going to venture a guess that the guy is terminally ill with a case of micro-pee-pee. The only chance for a miracle cure is to stroke the ego more vigorously than a teenager strokes a lingerie catalogue.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So I started playing in a new league and I'm considering quitting after 3 games.I only know two guys on my team.

In each of the 3 games I've been in, there has been at least one fight which I will describe as quite serious, and one of them was after the game in the parking lot.Most of the guys are early to mid-20s whereas I'm in my 30s, and probably they're all coked up.There seems to be a bunch of psychopathic criminals in this league.I just don't think I have it in me anymore to tolerate that BS.I just want to play hockey to relax and enjoy the few remaining years of my "youth".I feel like I'm in kindergarden, the slightest contact in the corner and everyone gets all worked up and insults are flying, and the gap between insults and fights is minuscule.

I'm not against robustness in hockey, and I actually enjoy when the game is quite physical, but this is just stupid level.I'm also not against fighting in hockey, but fighting in a beer league in a meaningless game for no reason against young maniacs on cocaine is not what I have in mind when I think of a good and meaningful hockey fight.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Tournaments stop being fun when teams play below their skill level.

Played in a bronze division against two teams that beat us by a combined score of 15-3. They both made the championship because nobody else could compete with them.

Sounds like one a teammate of mine was in a weekend or so ago in Niagara. They were in the lowest division, and I guess all but one of their games was competitive. The one that wasn't, the other team had a bunch of guys who looked like they were from some Euro pro league based on their gear.

Had to play them in the round robin, then the next day in the final. For the final, it was something like 5-0 in the first five minutes of the game. So they pretty much just kept telling the timekeepers to keep the clock running.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Played last weekend. Our game lasted nearly 1.5 hours and no one was really trying near the end. Some guy on my team decided to tell people on our team I wasn't playing defense.

I decided to cherry pick and got a nice pass, went to the left hashmarks and top shelf. Almost pointed at the guy after the goal, but I'm not that egotistical. I have 6 goals in 4 games now..

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
scorekept a fairly high level beer league game on Saturday night. one of the refs decided to bring a tallboy of Bud Light to the penalty box and was chugging every time there was a stoppage in play and faceoff at the other end. as the game went on he was more and more in the way of the play and blew a couple of calls near the end. after discussing it with a friend via text I ratted him out (as a league board member I didn't really have a choice) to the supervisor of officials. I really frakking hate being put in that position. :madfire:

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Is this in Brandon? This is the exact reason I stopped playing there. They wanted some people to start games at 11:30 on a Monday night, get the **** out of here with that. I love playing but sorry, i've got a career.

when I was there it was so hard to get into that rink to play. I was able to play one game and barely bumped a guy in the corner and got a warning... It's non check but damn contact happens.. Never went back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad