Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I play D and have decided that after last week I won't pass to one of our right wingers anymore when breaking out of our zone. He NEVER keeps two hands on his stick. One time last season I politely encouraged him to do so, (I HATE being that guy to offer advice) but he just continues to use one hand. After giving him a couple passes last game in which he failed to receive (pretty much right on his tape) I will no longer use him as an option.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Getting pretty sick of refs allowing some *******s to turn games in my "non-checking league" into full-contact slugfests. It is 100% because they refuse to call too many penalties, because they don't want to slow the games down, as they have to keep them within a certain timeframe. I understand this in principle, but when I'm getting punched in the back of the head by some overweight ******* with a crappy homelife who's taking his aggressions out on the ice (and who keeps doing this, getting his pals to join in, since they aren't called on it), the league's lack of scheduling prowess goes from "annoying" to "dangerous." :rant:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I play D and have decided that after last week I won't pass to one of our right wingers anymore when breaking out of our zone. He NEVER keeps two hands on his stick. One time last season I politely encouraged him to do so, (I HATE being that guy to offer advice) but he just continues to use one hand. After giving him a couple passes last game in which he failed to receive (pretty much right on his tape) I will no longer use him as an option.

I think that's bad form. If the guy is trying and he's otherwise the passing option, hit him. Maybe lead him a little and take some mustard off it so he can skate onto it, but don't cut him out.

If the game's on the line and you've got another option who's a little more reliable, then sure, go with the least risk option.

There's one guy in a team I'm in that I just can't stand. He's a pretty average player, but it's a personality thing. If I was playing against him, he'd be in some major trouble, but I'm not, I'd never not not pass to him though if he's the right option, so I grin and bear him for the sake of team.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I think that's bad form. If the guy is trying and he's otherwise the passing option, hit him. Maybe lead him a little and take some mustard off it so he can skate onto it, but don't cut him out.

If the game's on the line and you've got another option who's a little more reliable, then sure, go with the least risk option.

There's one guy in a team I'm in that I just can't stand. He's a pretty average player, but it's a personality thing. If I was playing against him, he'd be in some major trouble, but I'm not, I'd never not not pass to him though if he's the right option, so I grin and bear him for the sake of team.

I've tried and tried man, trust me. It's been going on since last season. Let's just say it will be a last resort or I will fling it around the boards to him. To be honest he probably shouldn't be in this level. Not that I'm great, but that's why they have lower levels in our beer league. And it is for the sake of the team that I have come to this decision. I'm not the only one on the team that feels this way either.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Its mostly why I stopped playing. Unless you happen to get the puck behind your own net (which is generally tough as a winger), you basically skate up and down the ice like a knob until the puck gets deflected to you. Where YOU then hold on to the puck for as long as humanly possible because you may not see it again for 4 games.

LOL......

:laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Playing on a pretty low division at the moment(because I suck) and we have a guy on our team who is friends with the captain and probably should be a division higher, but he's not like Gretzky out there or anything. He's one of the better players in the division, but certainly not the best. Anyway, any time we are trailing he takes it upon himself to take literally a 10 minute shift. He won't change. It's so ****ing annoying. I don't know the guy very well, but he's really frustrating the rest of the forwards who just want to get some playing time. Worst part is because he's out there so long he gets tired and instead of coming to the bench like a normal person, he just coasts around until he catches his breath and hangs out at the blue line waiting for an outlet pass rather than actually marking his man. He's responsible for probably 2 or 3 goals for our team per game, but at least 2 or 3 for the other team as well simply because they basically have a PP any time he's out there because he doesn't even remotely try to play defense.

Little update to my rant: DBag got kicked out of the league because he was playing under a false name because he had been permanently banned from the rink for fighting an official. Guy is a real winner. Really going places in life.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Little update to my rant: DBag got kicked out of the league because he was playing under a false name because he had been permanently banned from the rink for fighting an official. Guy is a real winner. Really going places in life.

Do you guys need someone to replace him? I have a friend who said he knows you and is looking to find a team.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Do you guys need someone to replace him? I have a friend who said he knows you and is looking to find a team.

Is he interested in playing roller? This is a roller league that I'm playing atm. If you PM me I'll give you the number of our captain and he can talk to him. We definitely have room for another I would think.

EDIT: Is he too advanced for our level? We're playing D1 at All American. I don't really want to add a ringer 3 weeks into the season. Kinda feels cheap.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Played 3 games in 4 nights with only 2 subs the first two nights.

We actually have like 9 players on our roster, but nobody every shows up.

So we were tired already by Saturday, and then learned that both of our best players weren't going to be there. (one had a travel tournament and the other ended up being sick) In fact, we had to play the first 5 minutes on a 3v4 PK with a substitute goalie (we play 4s because there's not enough players in my league as it is) since we'd only had 3 people show up at the start of the game. Our 4th guy (who I think was stuck in traffic) showed up a minute after the game started and had to quickly get dressed, and then we scrounged up 3 more players, including our substitute goalie's younger brother, a player from the league below us, and even a player from the other team. :laugh: We were up 5-4 with 2 minutes to go and ended up losing 6-5 in regulation.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
We've got a guy on our team that is a pretty good player, big shot, good skating, the puck always seems to find him. He always shows up wearing pro player gear that he gets because he does contracting for a lot of pro players. The guy never skates hard. Anytime he doesn't score he glides around flexing something like it might be hurt or checks his stick blade very carefully...all while ignoring the play that's going on. He rarely passes the puck (the other night I was behind the play after I lost my stick in the corner, he steals the puck, I get to the post all alone and he puts his head down and takes a clapper from the top of the circle that goes about ten feet over!) and about 90% of the time hits the goalie in the crest with his big clapper. The worst is being on the shift after him because he takes these long shifts and usually changes as the other team is breaking into our zone and he is gliding along checking his stick.

So frustrating, but I'm the FNG on the team, so I don't really want to say anything.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I play wing, but the last few games, it feels like I've spent an excessive amount of time flying back to cover for our defensemen to prevent odd man rushes (or at least trying to break up a 2 on 1). I've made what appear to be some pretty good defensive plays, but I'm getting kind of sick of having to, if you know what I mean. I'm starting to wonder if the D just assume because I'm the fastest guy on the team, they can just kind of hang out at the blue line and take a breather if I'm on the ice. And like... it'd be one thing if these guys were pushing the play, carrying the puck into the offensive zone, ripping shots, etc.... but they're not; they're just kind of standing at the blue line trying to... I dunno... scare the puck away (?) from the transitioning players on the other team? I love my teammates, but it's getting pretty old.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
So frustrating, but I'm the FNG on the team, so I don't really want to say anything.

This sounds eerily like a player I once played with. One time as the other team came in on the attack, he was gliding on one blade cleaning the snow on his stick in the neutral zone.

Our whole bench saw this and luckily our team manager did too. Luckily this isn't something that was accepted from anyone, regardless of how friggen good you were. The guy wasn't on the team long.

For me, I might be able to hold my nose and accept a puck hog if they back checked. But there's no excuse for not back checking and being an ice hog. Everyone pays equal, so everyone plays equal.

If it were me and I didn't think I could say anything about it. I'd simply not pass to him either. And if we have the lead and he's breaking up ice, I'd go offside a few times.

As for his shifts, I'd either take long shifts too, or I'd wait until he's tired and shifts off. Then I'd take a 15 second shift and give him all the ice he can handle.

Let's see how the rest of the team feels seeing him drag his lazy, tired, non-backchecking arse around the ice for more than half the game.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
It sure is interesting reading this thread.....

I have been playing pick up only for the last few years (maybe 10?), and keep thinking to myself how I miss league play in certain ways. The "team", more structure in the play ( this part the most ), having refs (although some are idiots), even penalties, etc....just the whole "meaning" of the game. But, as I read more and more, and even from past personal experience(s), I start questioning if I actually would want to play league hockey. I am 43 (soon to be 44 this Saturday), and wouldn't want to play in a league with a bunch of "kids". But....the league that was on before my pick up game last night, featured at least 2 fights (including a goalie having to separate one), and just remember the drama. Sure it's a pay to play league, with refs, but at the same time, everyone has to get up and go to work the next morning no matter if emotions get heated.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

I have been playing pick up only for the last few years (maybe 10?), and keep thinking to myself how I miss league play in certain ways. The "team", more structure in the play ( this part the most ), having refs (although some are idiots), even penalties, etc....just the whole "meaning" of the game. But, as I read more and more, and even from past personal experience(s), I start questioning if I actually would want to play league hockey. I am 43 (soon to be 44 this Saturday), and wouldn't want to play in a league with a bunch of "kids". But....the league that was on before my pick up game last night, featured at least 2 fights (including a goalie having to separate one), and just remember the drama. Sure it's a pay to play league, with refs, but at the same time, everyone has to get up and go to work the next morning no matter if emotions get heated.

Yeah, my league gets on my nerves sometimes (well, a lot), but when I hear about other leagues where people actually get in fights and stuff, I feel pretty lucky. League play is definitely more fun than pickup, so I'm glad I get to do both in a decent environment.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Yeah, my league gets on my nerves sometimes (well, a lot), but when I hear about other leagues where people actually get in fights and stuff, I feel pretty lucky. League play is definitely more fun than pickup, so I'm glad I get to do both in a decent environment.

The last league I played in, I ran the team (nobody else wanted to do it), and there developed so much internal drama in my team, I had enough. Guess what....nobody played after that. LOL

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Need some help ...Is it common place in a beer league for the organizers not giving financial information at the year end ...basically funds collected and what ever expenses they have occurred ?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Need some help ...Is it common place in a beer league for the organizers not giving financial information at the year end ...basically funds collected and what ever expenses they have occurred ?

If the leagues are private companies(which all the ones around me are) , then yeah I wouldn't expect financials.

Even guys who organize the a regular pickup session tend to be no more than 'hey guys I'm in the hole this year, get some more subs out' or 'alright there's a bit extra in the pot this year so last week the beers are on me'

Really haven't played in a situation where I'd expect financial transparency

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
If the leagues are private companies(which all the ones around me are) , then yeah I wouldn't expect financials.

Even guys who organize the a regular pickup session tend to be no more than 'hey guys I'm in the hole this year, get some more subs out' or 'alright there's a bit extra in the pot this year so last week the beers are on me'

Really haven't played in a situation where I'd expect financial transparency

Maybe I was a little too vague .....small town ..Town league that has been run by same couple of guys for a few years ....they collect close to 20k from 60 players 4 teams ....they pay refs , ice , timekeeper etc .....because there has been never any financial accounting some players in league who know their revenues and expenses and things really don't add up ....when players have asked for information they are stonewalled ....nobody is accusing anyone of wrong doing but feel that financial information should be available on request ...Do u feel that make sense or just turn blind eye to this?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Maybe I was a little too vague .....small town ..Town league that has been run by same couple of guys for a few years ....they collect close to 20k from 60 players 4 teams ....they pay refs , ice , timekeeper etc .....because there has been never any financial accounting some players in league who know their revenues and expenses and things really don't add up ....when players have asked for information they are stonewalled ....nobody is accusing anyone of wrong doing but feel that financial information should be available on request ...Do u feel that make sense or just turn blind eye to this?

It kind of depends on the understanding/expectation is of the league. Is it supposed to be a non-profit where the people running it are supposed to be doing it for the love of the game? Or is it a for-profit business where the people doing it expect reasonable compensation for their time?

Do these guys own the league or are they just caretakers and the league belongs to the town? If it's the later, then I would expect there to be some transparency. But if it's their business, it's their business.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm no sure anyone gets rich running recreational sports leagues, especially one with high overheads like hockey/ice rinks. Undoubtedly there's plenty of time involved, plus hassles and inconvenience too for whoever does it, even if they're making a few bucks.

I don't think it requires a forensic accounting approach. If you know the fees and how many players there are and you know how many games there are and the hourly ice time cost, then you can get some idea.

What it costs per game to play is the only thing I might ever ponder briefly. If players are lining up to play, it's worth it. If you're getting ripped off you can always vote with your feet.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver

I'm 44 this year too and 2 years ago I started playing league again after 20+ years. It is great to have the team experience and competitiveness again. As far as playing with 'kids' I'm in good shape and skate with 'em well enough, but yeah there will always be hot heads and ##%% going on and that's true of older guys in the league too. Drama for sure. But you just play and enjoy yourself and laugh at them. I'm glad I started playing again, even if it's expensive and sometimes late night games

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Last night I got an interference penalty for being hooked and thrown into the opposing goalie. Worst was, this was a couple minutes after the ref had been in a shouting match with a player from the other team for whacking our goalie's glove, so he was in a combative mood, and pleading my case didn't help. Times like that really make me feel like "well ****, if you're gonna give me two minutes for that, I may as well just take a real penalty next time." And that is dangerous, because I'm sure there are some crazy guys in my league who will take that thought seriously. Please refs, do your jobs properly.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Mini line-brawl broke out at the end of our game last night. People tackling each other. One guy had someone in a choke hold for like 10 seconds. :laugh: Just so stupid. Glad I wasn't out there for it. It's just rec league hockey....we're not competing for contracts or anything.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Last night I got an interference penalty for being hooked and thrown into the opposing goalie. Worst was, this was a couple minutes after the ref had been in a shouting match with a player from the other team for whacking our goalie's glove, so he was in a combative mood, and pleading my case didn't help. Times like that really make me feel like "well ****, if you're gonna give me two minutes for that, I may as well just take a real penalty next time." And that is dangerous, because I'm sure there are some crazy guys in my league who will take that thought seriously. Please refs, do your jobs properly.

sounds like the ref did his job properly. You hit the other team's goalie so he called you for interference. Maybe you only hit the goalie because you were pushed in to him, but that's not how the ref saw it. Like you said at the end of your post, refs only need to do their job properly. Sounds like you also want them to do it perfectly which, unfortunately, is a very unreasonable expectation.

Missing a call here and there is not worthy of crying about it on a message board. That's called hockey.

I've had refs apologize to me for missing a call and I tell them that until I start playing a perfect game I don't expect them to ref a perfect game either.

On the other hand, if a ref is awful and blows several calls throughout the game you have the right to be upset. Still not worthy of complaining on this message board, but at least you would have legs to stand on if you wanted to give the ref some grief during the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad