Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
We were in the championship game and the organizer of it is on the other team. Before the game, of course the email goes out that players only had to play 3 out of 8 summer games to qualify to play in the playoffs. Previously it was 50% (or 4 games in this case). 2 of their key guys now qualify... we lose. If I were the captain of the team, I'd take my business elsewhere. Let them play with 3 teams in a division... F them.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Playoff ringers bother me in general; I agree that the qualification rules should have been promulgated prior to the start of the regular season.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
My team has been off for a few weeks, some of them even longer. Played an absolute horrid game to kick off our new season earlier this week. Only good part was we hung right in there w/one of the better teams and are just upset we didn't crush them. Blew many chances to make things happen, you know.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
So we're in a pretty organized multi-tier league here in Victoria, we play in Tier 5 out of 12, so pretty high up, fairly competitive.

Anyways, last night I was playing defence (which I despise) and one guy on their team is a complete ringer, probably played junior B at some point.

So he comes down on my side, he comes barrelling in and tries a shot through my legs, after the goalie stops it, he proceeds to barrel into me and our goalie.

I get up, kinda was like "what the heck are you doing" then he goes "I didn't mean to, not like I care about beer league"

Then don't run our goalie... lol.

We wound up winning 5-4 so that's good I guess, just kinda ticks me off when guys go "I don't care" and proceed to go full on try hard.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
7 games into our ball hockey league season, we haven't won a game yet. 5 losses, 2 ties. We got bumped down to the level below. My team sucks, this league sucks. I'm far above the level of the league, I put up two points per game while playing forward and defense in any given game, but I just can't get my team to win.

What else, I find that I'm not challenged enough to progress at this level, but actually I find myself regressing because of the lack of team play. We can't put together 3 passes without a turnover. I feel like I'm defending 80% of the game.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
You guys have on ice team practices or just games?

Some rinks here offer practice time,' but they generally just turn into a combination of sticks/sessions + a scrimmage. Only like 3 people will ever take drills seriously so it's a fruitless effort when we get the chance anyway. Still, the freestyle/drop-in feel helps for some guys to get out and play without having to worry about an actual game.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Some rinks here offer practice time,' but they generally just turn into a combination of sticks/sessions + a scrimmage. Only like 3 people will ever take drills seriously so it's a fruitless effort when we get the chance anyway. Still, the freestyle/drop-in feel helps for some guys to get out and play without having to worry about an actual game.

I can imagine. We don't have this 'sticks & pucks' sessions available here though, so yeah even that is much better than nothing, can do few skating drills, few passes, shots and some stick handling.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I can imagine. We don't have this 'sticks & pucks' sessions available here though, so yeah even that is much better than nothing, can do few skating drills, few passes, shots and some stick handling.

Do your rinks offer public s&p sessions? Those are great for the basics.

For a while I was doing that weekly w/my goalie, which was awesome because I got my time in and everyone loved having him there to shoot on. I often see that goalies (rightfully so) take limited shots at these things, but my guy almost wouldn't stop. We even did breakaway challenge type rills where everyone who wished would line up at center and just run down on him one by one in a row. Great fun for us, great conditioning work for him!

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Do your rinks offer public s&p sessions? Those are great for the basics.

For a while I was doing that weekly w/my goalie, which was awesome because I got my time in and everyone loved having him there to shoot on. I often see that goalies (rightfully so) take limited shots at these things, but my guy almost wouldn't stop. We even did breakaway challenge type rills where everyone who wished would line up at center and just run down on him one by one in a row. Great fun for us, great conditioning work for him!

Problem is, there are not enough rinks around and those few that are, are fully booked from noon to almost midnight. I agree such sessions would be pretty cool and it helps to be able to have puck on your stick for an hour straight, instead of just 10mins of warm up and here and there during the actual game.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
That would suck. I'm lucky to be in a non-hockey market and I can go out to a public skate session during weekday office hours and if it's quiet, which is often, can get out with a stick and puck, as long as I stay out of the way and don't do anything stupid, which I'm pretty careful about.

On occasion it's empty and I can put out a goal and a bucket of pucks and just let rip, probably get 3-4 hours a week of on ice stick handling or shooting, at nominal cost.

I'd get mighty frustrated without it.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I had a teammate cuss me out for losing a face off that cost us a goal. We tied the game. The guy never demonstrated a bad temper before then so it really caught me off guard but the more I thought about it the angrier I got. He was rage fueled and belittling. I'm angry at myself for letting him get away with it but I was stunned.

I don't know how to approach it now. I'm just gonna ignore him like he doesn't exist. I don't want to shake his hand after the game either but I can see that making a scene if I refuse to shake his hand. He also like to give directives like he's my coach. I can't stand the guy he's a bully.

I'm not sure what to do.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I had a teammate cuss me out for losing a face off that cost us a goal. We tied the game. The guy never demonstrated a bad temper before then so it really caught me off guard but the more I thought about it the angrier I got. He was rage fueled and belittling. I'm angry at myself for letting him get away with it but I was stunned.

I don't know how to approach it now. I'm just gonna ignore him like he doesn't exist. I don't want to shake his hand after the game either but I can see that making a scene if I refuse to shake his hand. He also like to give directives like he's my coach. I can't stand the guy he's a bully.

I'm not sure what to do.
He got mad at you for losing a faceoff?

I can understand getting frustrated (internally, not externally) about a teammate doing something stupid or lazy to cost the team, but a faceoff is a faceoff. Sometimes you win them, sometimes you lose them.

If you play with him regularly you should at least talk about it. Express your concerns and let him know you didn't appreciate how he treated you as a teammate.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

I'm not sure what to do.

Try to laugh and brush it off as its happening. Sometimes people are having tough days and other crap going on in their lives and hockey is an outlet. If it bothers you just talk to them. Ask them if they're alright. If they say yes then tell them it wasn't cool they cussed you out its just a game and not necessary and not that serious. I've been on both sides of it before and have never had someone tell me off after approaching them or them approaching me. Doing the passive agressive high school crap usually only makes things worse

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Try to laugh and brush it off as its happening. Sometimes people are having tough days and other crap going on in their lives and hockey is an outlet. If it bothers you just talk to them. Ask them if they're alright. If they say yes then tell them it wasn't cool they cussed you out its just a game and not necessary and not that serious. I've been on both sides of it before and have never had someone tell me off after approaching them or them approaching me. Doing the passive agressive high school crap usually only makes things worse

No f*** that, everyone flips but no matter what if you flip (and I've lost it many times) you realize you have said a cutting comment and you go, like a man, and apologize and mitigate the situation so it doesn't fester and promulgate throughout the locker room.

It's called being a man. Bad day, whatever, it can slip you're right but that dude needs to apologize and man the f*** up after the game. A faceoff was lost, so what? It happens. So does frustration and so does frustration filled anger. You say a stupid comment go man up and own up to it.

On the other side, I would absolutely confront the guy in the locker room in front of everyone. If he loses his cool so what? Don't ignore it.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
No **** that, everyone flips but no matter what if you flip (and I've lost it many times) you realize you have said a cutting comment and you go, like a man, and apologize and mitigate the situation so it doesn't fester and promulgate throughout the locker room.

It's called being a man. Bad day, whatever, it can slip you're right but that dude needs to apologize and man the **** up after the game. A faceoff was lost, so what? It happens. So does frustration and so does frustration filled anger. You say a stupid comment go man up and own up to it.

On the other side, I would absolutely confront the guy in the locker room in front of everyone. If he loses his cool so what? Don't ignore it.

I agree but speaking from experience I have rubbed people the wrong way without knowing it. Granted cussing someone out after a lost faceoff should be obvious but you never know. Definitely approach them because they might think it was no big deal in their mind and might have a “whatever happens on the ice stays on the ice” mentality

Reactions: Richard

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Interesting thread.

I played in bar leagues in Buffalo many moons ago.

There would always be a couple teams in our division that were full of ringers. Tough to play against them when we were in a low division so our friends with little experience could play. I mean one team brought in guys from Canada who had played Junior A. Missing teeth, the whole nine yards.

When asked why they brought guys in and played below their level of competition, they would respond it was just practice. Who the hell practices against novices? 14 - 0 scores hardly develop good habits for a practice.

Now my son plays, and it looks like they play a couple games first, and then get placed in divisions; which makes sense to me. Most of the games then are played against proper level of competition.

What are your experiences with this situation in your respective areas?

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I can see everyone's point. The guy struck me as slightly psychotic. I know that sounds extreme but it was so unwarranted and bizarre for the situation it was disturbing. There was almost a violent tension. I just don't see a reasonable person acting like that. I understand disappointment and annoyance but not rage. The guy is generally jovial or tries to give that impression so it just didn't make sense.

If he's mentally issues I don't know how he'll react. I can't even begin to predict the outcome. He didn't seem to think anything was wrong with what he did. If he is a little off I don't know if want to confront him alone or in a group setting.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Interesting thread.

I played in bar leagues in Buffalo many moons ago.

There would always be a couple teams in our division that were full of ringers. Tough to play against them when we were in a low division so our friends with little experience could play. I mean one team brought in guys from Canada who had played Junior A. Missing teeth, the whole nine yards.

When asked why they brought guys in and played below their level of competition, they would respond it was just practice. Who the hell practices against novices? 14 - 0 scores hardly develop good habits for a practice.

Now my son plays, and it looks like they play a couple games first, and then get placed in divisions; which makes sense to me. Most of the games then are played against proper level of competition.

That's how it is in the GTA but the convenors take it a step further.
They observe to see if teams turn it on/tone it down in the "seeding games" which is usually 4-5 for winter and 3-4 for summer. Refs have quite a bit of input on this, too.

This biggest problem here is that A division one night in one league could be C division on another night and definitely in another league.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
While the ASHL is a "decent" adult league, it's likely the big show for the refs career. They like to leave their mark on games sometimes and are even clearly biased when you have the same ref multiple times a year. So best advice is to butter up to them early in the year and thank them later when they start to favor you
100%. True North has some horrible refs mixed in with some really good ones.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
That's how it is in the GTA but the convenors take it a step further.
They observe to see if teams turn it on/tone it down in the "seeding games" which is usually 4-5 for winter and 3-4 for summer. Refs have quite a bit of input on this, too.

This biggest problem here is that A division one night in one league could be C division on another night and definitely in another league.

Interesting BM14, thanks.

I ran into a fellow at a Sabres - Leaf game three years ago who runs an over 50 league in Southern Ontario. He has the players sign up individually, rates them, and makes teams.

Any ringers, or guys who act like asses, he meets personally after the game, and refunds their money, and tells them not to come back.

I like that.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

The leagues I play in they do tiering several times during the season to try and make sure everyone is in the right division. Sometimes top teams get moved up a division for playoffs. Also players aren't allowed to drop down more than two divisions, so that cuts down on players slumming it too hard.

I've played against my fair share ringers of various skill levels. Most of them try to play the team game. They play defence and use their skills sto distribute the puck to their team mates, and they only turn it on when their team is down. Had a ECHL player drop into a co-ed game once. He was way slumming it, but he wasn't hot-dogging it. He just made plays, made their team better, but gave the lower skilled players on the opposite team team room to play. Guy was classy. Don't mind playing against ringers like that.

But there are the ones who have issues with the small pee-pee. When I was in my 20's, in the playoffs, the other team had ringer that was playing way below their skill level, so I got the task of shadowing him. Didn't do anything dirty. Just stuck close, lifted his stick, and just made it so he wasn't ever really open or had any room to do anything. Guy got his pee-pee all in a bunch and threw an elbow into my chops and promptly got suspended for the rest of the play-offs. Those are the type of guys who should take a flying leap.

I've never done this but one way I thought to discourage out of control ringers is if another team brings out one, and the game becomes a farce and they're still pouring it on, just let the ringer have the puck. Have everyone part ways, making sure the non-ringers on their team are all checked, and pave a lane for the ringer to the net and have the goalie take a powder and give him an empty net to shoot at.

I mean if they're going to spoil your fun, spoil theirs. Don't give them satisfaction of actually beating a defender or scoring on a goalie. Take the fun out of it for them, and maybe they won't come around again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->