Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
I got booted out of a game tonight (first game back since 6 months in rural China lol) because some old (40) dink kept shoving his butt end into my gut. Ref didn't call it for 2 periods and in the 3rd period I snapped and nutted him from behind and mounted him with some blocker shots.... I only got only game after our respected captain argued in my defence...... Half cut now, but still outraged... At least our team records all the games so I'll have evidence for everything that went down in case he was someones son or something.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I got booted out of a game tonight (first game back since 6 months in rural China lol) because some old (40) dink kept shoving his butt end into my gut. Ref didn't call it for 2 periods and in the 3rd period I snapped and nutted him from behind and mounted him with some blocker shots.... I only got only game after our respected captain argued in my defence...... Half cut now, but still outraged... At least our team records all the games so I'll have evidence for everything that went down in case he was someones son or something.

Evidence of what? That, during a hockey game, you hit a guy in the nuts with your stick, jumped him from behind and started punching him? Are you hoping to go to jail? I ask because that's the only thing a video like that is going to do for you.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Last night I had a good problem to have.

Our team was getting new jerseys and the guy that was overseeing it (he works at the company that was making them) had been AWOL in December.

We had our first game of the 2nd half of the season, he was there, and he had our jerseys.

There were two problems with mine: it was a L and I wanted an XL because I like a loose jersey and they misspelled my name.

The good news is that he is going to get me a new one and hopefully he remembers to have it be an XL.

They look pretty crazy as they are mainly green and black with some white, orange numbers, and portions of it are a black and green digi camo.

We should never have issues knowing who is who out there.

:laugh:

We need pictures.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

I got no problem with that. If people want to sail close to the wind or spend all game dishing it out, they shouldn't have any complaints if something comes back their way at some stage.

Preferably they got warned beforehand though and given an opportunity to modify their behaviour.

If they choose to continue, then can't hande being on the receiving end a little, maybe they should either play it differently or go play something else.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
I got no problem with that. If people want to sail close to the wind or spend all game dishing it out, they shouldn't have any complaints if something comes back their way at some stage.

Preferably they got warned beforehand though and given an opportunity to modify their behaviour.

If they choose to continue, then can't hande being on the receiving end a little, maybe they should either play it differently or go play something else.

He got warned lots... I still have a decent sized bruised not too far above my gentleman parts.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Only halfway through this season and already looking ahead to how to build a better roster next year (assuming there will be a good deal of turnover... again). Lots of good guys, but a lot of them are super flakey and will cancel at a moment's notice, which throws everything out of whack when they do it day-of.

Most likely about half of us are going to be required to move up a division anyway, so I will just be sure this time to remind the captain that he doesn't have to freak out and recruit the first person he sees with a pair of skates just to fill the roster.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
First game of the session, we're down 5-3 when I steal the puck from a Dman, stuff it at the front of the net puck bouncing everywhere, take a stick to the face, get tripped on my ass, I bat the puck in off the back metal and out and the goalie covers it and the ref calls no goal. I mucked and grinded for this damn goal that could've made a huge difference and it was waved off by terrible officiating. The goalie even screamed an expletive starting with F right when I put it in. Nothing. I was pissed.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
My league split up into an upper and lower division due to a pretty big disparity in talent between the top players and the bottom players. The lower division is essentially a C/D level and the higher division will have a range of low level A players to high level C players. Ive been the best goalie in the league since I joined and despite having a team to play on in the upper division, was told by the league manager that I am not skilled enough for the upper division and won't be allowed to play. He replaced me with a goalie who is nowhere near as good as I am. So looks like my options are to play in what amounts to a beginner league or find a new rink to play at.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
My league split up into an upper and lower division due to a pretty big disparity in talent between the top players and the bottom players. The lower division is essentially a C/D level and the higher division will have a range of low level A players to high level C players. Ive been the best goalie in the league since I joined and despite having a team to play on in the upper division, was told by the league manager that I am not skilled enough for the upper division and won't be allowed to play. He replaced me with a goalie who is nowhere near as good as I am. So looks like my options are to play in what amounts to a beginner league or find a new rink to play at.

That sucks. Are there not fixed teams, or are they made up on the fly?

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
Only halfway through this season and already looking ahead to how to build a better roster next year (assuming there will be a good deal of turnover... again). Lots of good guys, but a lot of them are super flakey and will cancel at a moment's notice, which throws everything out of whack when they do it day-of.

Most likely about half of us are going to be required to move up a division anyway, so I will just be sure this time to remind the captain that he doesn't have to freak out and recruit the first person he sees with a pair of skates just to fill the roster.

I never understood why people flake out of hockey. It's the same night every week! I don't think I've ever been on a team who had an attendance problem.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Playing on a pretty low division at the moment(because I suck) and we have a guy on our team who is friends with the captain and probably should be a division higher, but he's not like Gretzky out there or anything. He's one of the better players in the division, but certainly not the best. Anyway, any time we are trailing he takes it upon himself to take literally a 10 minute shift. He won't change. It's so ****ing annoying. I don't know the guy very well, but he's really frustrating the rest of the forwards who just want to get some playing time. Worst part is because he's out there so long he gets tired and instead of coming to the bench like a normal person, he just coasts around until he catches his breath and hangs out at the blue line waiting for an outlet pass rather than actually marking his man. He's responsible for probably 2 or 3 goals for our team per game, but at least 2 or 3 for the other team as well simply because they basically have a PP any time he's out there because he doesn't even remotely try to play defense.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
P Anyway, any time we are trailing he takes it upon himself to take literally a 10 minute shift. He won't change. It's so ****ing annoying. I don't know the guy very well, but he's really frustrating the rest of the forwards who just want to get some playing time. Worst part is because he's out there so long he gets tired and instead of coming to the bench like a normal person, he just coasts around until he catches his breath and hangs out at the blue line waiting for an outlet pass rather than actually marking his man.

F guys like that. If talking with the Captain or speaking up isn't an option, I'd simply never pass to the guy, EVER. I'd ice it before I gave them a cherry-picking pass. Honestly, everyone pays the same money, so everyone should get fair ice time.

The only exception to this is playoffs. But it has to be agreed upon by the team that shortening of the benches may happen.

If someone on my team took a 10 minute shift and was dogging it, I'd tell them to get the F of the ice.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
I never understood why people flake out of hockey. It's the same night every week! I don't think I've ever been on a team who had an attendance problem.

Back when I was in my prime, I played on a team for 3 seasons where we had a full roster but come game time only a goalie, a full line, and 1 sub.
Back then I had no problem skating the entire game but there were some older gents on my team that couldn't do that.

I never understood who they could pay for a full season and never show up.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I created a pickup ball hockey league in my town and have about 40 people in the league.

There's a bunch of really good players like RCMP and fire fighters. I start in 2 weeks probably on Thursday. Wish me luck! I haven't played or touched a stick for about a year

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
That sucks. Are there not fixed teams, or are they made up on the fly?

Fixed teams but the split took all the best players from each of the teams and put them in a new league and made entirely new teams.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
F guys like that. If talking with the Captain or speaking up isn't an option, I'd simply never pass to the guy, EVER. I'd ice it before I gave them a cherry-picking pass. Honestly, everyone pays the same money, so everyone should get fair ice time.

The only exception to this is playoffs. But it has to be agreed upon by the team that shortening of the benches may happen.

If someone on my team took a 10 minute shift and was dogging it, I'd tell them to get the F of the ice.

We gave it to him pretty good on the bench, but he just doesn't give a ****. In his mind he's doing the team a favor by staying out there because he's our best player. We tried explaining to him that we care more about getting to play than winning but that didn't seem to work. I'm definitely going to be looking for another team after this session. I like every guy on the team with that one exception, so I don't really want to leave, but he's pretty tight with the captain so I don't think there's any way he'll be kicked.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
We gave it to him pretty good on the bench, but he just doesn't give a ****. In his mind he's doing the team a favor by staying out there because he's our best player. We tried explaining to him that we care more about getting to play than winning but that didn't seem to work. I'm definitely going to be looking for another team after this session. I like every guy on the team with that one exception, so I don't really want to leave, but he's pretty tight with the captain so I don't think there's any way he'll be kicked.

Do you not have set positions? It should be pretty standard procedure that if after a minute there's a whistle the next line can or should just jump on and start skating to the faceoff, forcing the other line back to the bench.

The sort of behaviour from this player would **** me off to no end, but there's also needs to be a bit of responsibility from the guys on the bench.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013

You're a hero bro. Should've swung ur stick at his head.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

As someone who has to drive almost 40 minutes to play, sometimes I don't feel up for playing a game at 11. :laugh:

Maybe I'm getting old.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The biggest problem I have with beer league is that nobody passes.

This.

Beer league hockey is the equivalent of playing NHL XX on a console against a team of guys all named "Datsyukian_Deke_666_Bro"

Its mostly why I stopped playing. Unless you happen to get the puck behind your own net (which is generally tough as a winger), you basically skate up and down the ice like a knob until the puck gets deflected to you. Where YOU then hold on to the puck for as long as humanly possible because you may not see it again for 4 games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, we had some fun drama before our game last night.

A few months ago we started talking about getting new jerseys. One younger guy on the team said he worked at a place that could make them and he could get us a good deal.

So, we made the order and they showed up about a month ago. There were a few jerseys that needed to be redone (they were sublimated) because either the nameplate was misspelled, it was the wrong size, or in my case both.

Last week we found out that the guy had gotten fired because he broke up with his GF and her parents owned the company.

Then before our game last night the owner showed up and said we owed him money because he hadn't been played. He then proceeded to repo a few of the jerseys (and he had mine with the right name and he kept that one, too).

He said he was taking the kid to small claims court if he didn't have the money or all the jerseys by Monday. The kid never showed last night and I haven't seen him reply to the email that was sent out this morning.

The upside was that we wore our old jerseys and won.

:laugh:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
This.

Beer league hockey is the equivalent of playing NHL XX on a console against a team of guys all named "Datsyukian_Deke_666_Bro"

Its mostly why I stopped playing. Unless you happen to get the puck behind your own net (which is generally tough as a winger), you basically skate up and down the ice like a knob until the puck gets deflected to you. Where YOU then hold on to the puck for as long as humanly possible because you may not see it again for 4 games.

Yeah, that can happen, if you aren't all on the same page. In the last month or two I feel like my team have gotten there, mostly, but there are still a few guys who don't get the memo. The "not passing" thing is definitely the biggest hurdle to get over in lower levels. But once you do as a team, you're at a distinct advantage over other teams who haven't.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This.

You must play in some horrible leagues. None of my teams have that issue. Outside of one or two teams, I don't see that against other teams either.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
You must play in some horrible leagues. None of my teams have that issue. Outside of one or two teams, I don't see that against other teams either.

My area has a huge number of levels and different leagues, and this is really common in the lower-levels across the board. The problem starts because a lot of guys at lower level don't trust themselves to make a pass that'll connect, so they just hang onto it (and then lose it). Then, the guys on their teams that are a little better will, in turn, hang onto the puck too long themselves when they get it, because they don't trust many of their teammates to actually catch a pass they send their way. And on and on it goes.

Luckily it corrects itself once you move up a level or so, as guys are more confident. I could see how in other places with fewer levels it might be less of an issue though, as lower-skilled guys may be too intimidated to play regularly in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad