Beachbody Series Thread (Insanity Max 30 Released)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My hybrid for the week:

Friday: Asylum Speed & Agility
Saturday: Max 30 Tabata Strength
Sunday: Gym (chest/tris/back) + 10 minute ab attack
Monday: OFF
Tuesday: Asylum Vertical Plyo
Wednesday: Gym (Back/shoulders/legs) + 10 minute ab attack
Thursday: OFF

Today's Tabata Strength - maxed out 20:09 on the shoulder low holds.

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
Out of all the programs, is there any ab and cardio you prefer to the rest? I remember p90x ab ripper nearly killed me.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Abs are probably better made in the kitchen, but all of Shaun T's cardio works the core. I would recommend Max 30 because it has a 10 minute Ab workout, too. Cardio Challenge + Ab Attack is a sick 40 minute cardio/ab day.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Tuesday - tabata strength max out 26:40

Today - tabata strength made it through the full 30.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Killer to get through that. I have made it far, but the push up segment gets me every time. It's non-stop push ups.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I feel like it's the easiest disc by far...

And I do pushups with my arms tucked in to my sides so they're not too difficult. The one leg out to the side ones are rough tho lol

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Low shoulder holds typically get me. If I can beat low shoulders holds, I run that next group of push ups.

It's like... Scissor push up, knee tap push ups, toe tap push up, plank toe tap. It's ****ing brutal. By that time, my body is really feeling the constant push ups. I don't think I'll ever ever ever get past that group of 4. It's 8 sets of 30 second difficult push ups.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I'm gonna poll the Insanity crowd to see what your thoughts are.

I went on a vacation to Denver where I was gone just under a week. I was hoping my friend would have somewhere I could do the Max 30 videos, but I discovered she actually didn't. She's a trainer at a gym, so I did a class workout she had to go to, plus we did some hiking, so I stayed a little active. But it's been over a week since I did my last Max 30 video.

Now I'm going to be gone this weekend for Memorial Day.

Should I start Max 30 over when I get back, or pick up where I left off where it will end up being about a 2-week break?

Curious to see what people think.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm gonna poll the Insanity crowd to see what your thoughts are.

I went on a vacation to Denver where I was gone just under a week. I was hoping my friend would have somewhere I could do the Max 30 videos, but I discovered she actually didn't. She's a trainer at a gym, so I did a class workout she had to go to, plus we did some hiking, so I stayed a little active. But it's been over a week since I did my last Max 30 video.

Now I'm going to be gone this weekend for Memorial Day.

Should I start Max 30 over when I get back, or pick up where I left off where it will end up being about a 2-week break?

Curious to see what people think.
I would pick up where you left off, personally. No shame in taking a break, and it sounds like you managed to stay active anyways. Just jump right back in IMO.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Personally, I would just revert back 1 week. As long as you maintained your diet and were working out, just start one week prior and keep going.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hybrid:
- Friday: Speed & Agility (Insanity Asylum)
- Saturday: 3 Minute Fitness (sports training class) in morning, Chest/Tris afternoon.
- Sunday: Tabata Strength (Max 30)
- Monday: Shoulders/Back + Max Out Abs (Max 30)
- Tuesday: OFF
- Wednesday: Vertical Plyo (Insanity Asylum)
- Thursday: OFF

Speed & Agility really kicked my ass today. I try to do this workout the most because it's by far the best workout in Shaun T's collection, IMO. It just worked me over. I felt like I could max out on every single exercise.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just completed my first day of Max 30! The Cardio Challenge...and it kicked my ass :cry:

I maxed out at 3:00 from the warmup :laugh:

Whenever I "Maxed" out I paused the video for 30-40 seconds to collect my breath. I had to take a few 30 second breaks :cry: I was completely dripping after I was done with it and the 10 minute Ab thing. And the second half the workout, I was performing most of the exercises extremely sloppy.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's the awesome awesome awesome part of Max 30. Stick with it and be very true with your max out times. I only made it 5-7 minutes the first couple times, too. Wait til 60 days is over. You will be so ****ing shocked. I promise you.

Dig deep and stick with it. I promise you we will share a laugh at how amazing your results end up. And in a few months, you will be telling everyone how crazy mentally strong you are in workouts.

edit: I always say this. If this is week 1, it's okay to do week 1 twice. I ALWAYS test run the videos and try to understand the move first. So I watch it, then do it, then the next week i start the 60 days.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
That's the awesome awesome awesome part of Max 30. Stick with it and be very true with your max out times. I only made it 5-7 minutes the first couple times, too. Wait til 60 days is over. You will be so ****ing shocked. I promise you.

Dig deep and stick with it. I promise you we will share a laugh at how amazing your results end up. And in a few months, you will be telling everyone how crazy mentally strong you are in workouts.

edit: I always say this. If this is week 1, it's okay to do week 1 twice. I ALWAYS test run the videos and try to understand the move first. So I watch it, then do it, then the next week i start the 60 days.
I absolutely second this. If I remember correctly, I made it about 6 minutes or so the first time I ever did cardio challenge, and that was because I did everything I could to push myself to that point. By the time I was done with the first month, I was up to the mid-to-high teens on cardio challenge.

Keeping putting that DVD in every day and you will see a huge change.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
You guys are already making me feel worse that you didn't max out during the warmup like me :laugh:

To be fair i haven't done a jumping workout since i last finished Insanity back in Feb.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I remember the first time I put it in and I was questioning if i'd ever make it out of the warm up. :laugh:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Day 2 was much better/easier.. the Tabata Power. Taking those quick 10 seconds breaks do a lot. Maxed out sometimes around the 11 minute mark I think during all those jumps.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
You guys are already making me feel worse that you didn't max out during the warmup like me :laugh:

To be fair i haven't done a jumping workout since i last finished Insanity back in Feb.

My calves hurt for days after that 1st dvd lol

Going to do Friday fight today before the gym since I missed it on Friday.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Yeah I wouldn't worry how you do compared to anyone else here. Everyone's body structure and composition is different. Everyone's cardiovascular strength is different, mainly because of genetic differences. I would just worry about doing the best each day that you can do. That's all that matters.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Holy Crap...

Sweat Intervals was the hardest workout i've ever done. I must have drank 4 full bottles of water in the 30 minutes. Wow do I feel sore...feels great :)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: Friday Fight awaits you in 2 days. :yo:

Also, Max Out Sweat (next 30 days) will change your mind. That workout is Shaun T hell. Personally, I have never included that DVD in any of my hybrids. That is one Shaun T workout that I absolutely dread. It just kicks the **** out of you. I think I'd rather do Speed & Agility twice in a row.

Warm-up:
Low Switch Kick Punch: Start by kicking your legs left and right fairly low to the floor. Punch your arms front left and right.
Hop Hop Knee: Hop twice laterally to the right, then raise the outside knee. Return to the left, hopping twice and then raising that knee. Alternate side to side.
1-2-3 Clap: Side to side three times. Have arms at chest level and open to the sides. Bring up your knee and touch it with the same arm.
(Repeat series twice)
Speed In & Out Abs [Power Move]: In plank, jump the feet in towards the chest and then back out. Repeat as quickly as possible.

Round 1:
Plyo Hook Lunge: Start in a lunge position, jump the front leg to the back and the back leg to the front to switch the lunge. Jump back and forth changing your lunging leg each time. As you do this, do hooks, left and right, with your arms.
Wide In & Out - Knee Tap: Start in plank position with your feet wide. Hop your feet in, under your body. Take one arm and tap the opposite knee. Jump back out into plank with feet wide and bring your arm back down. Repeat and tap the other hand to the other knee. Repeat side to side.
Switch Kick Punch: As you punch your arms, kick your legs left and right as fast as you can and as high as you can.
Plyo Hook Lunge
Wide In & Out - Knee Tap
Switch Kick Punch
Plyo Hook Lunge
Wide In & Out - Knee Tap
Switch Kick Punch
Hit The Floor - Tuck Jump [Power Move]: Move laterally side to side quickly and tap the floor with one hand and then the other. Keep in somewhat a low stance. After each move to the side, do a tuck jump by jumping and bringing you feet under your glutes and your knees towards the chest.

Round 2:
Ab Attack - R: Stand in a sideways squat-type position with arms extended. Jump the feet in and lift the right knee. As you do so, bring the left arm in towards the right knee engaging the abs and twisting slightly.
Burpee Punch - R: Do a burpee by squatting down and then jumping back into plank. However, instead of putting both hands on the floor, only put down the left hand. The right arm punches straight ahead as you go down into the burpee. Jump the feet in, still with the arm punched forward and return to standing. Repeat.
Knee Switch Kick - R: Jump so that you left knee is raised towards the chest. Hop, lowering that knee to the ground and do a kick with the right leg. Then hop back onto the right leg again while raising the left knee.
Ab Attack - L: Stand in a sideways squat-type position with arms extended. Jump the feet in and lift the left knee. As you do so, bring the right arm in towards the left knee engaging the abs and twisting slightly.
Burpee Punch - L: Do a burpee by squatting down and then jumping back into plank. However, instead of putting both hands on the floor, only put down the right hand. The left arm punches straight ahead as you go down into the burpee. Jump the feet in, still with the arm punched forward and return to standing. Repeat.
Knee Switch Kick - L: Jump so that you right knee is raised towards the chest. Hop, lowering that knee to the ground and do a kick with the left leg. Then hop back onto the left leg again while raising the right knee.
Ab Attack - R
Ab Attack - L
Burpee Punch - R
Burpee Punch - L
High Knee - Switch Kick: On cue do high knees. When cued transition to switch kicks. Alternate back and forth on cue.
4 Jab - 4 Knee Punch [Power Move]: Jab left and right four times to the front. Then do four running high knees as you jab left and right.

Round 3:
Wide Fly - In & Out Ab: In plank, jump the feet in towards the chest and then back out. As you jump back, lift one arm directly out to the side. Lower the arm when feet jump back in. Alternate arm raises side to side. Repeat as quickly as possible. (Note: Balancing with the arms out in the wide fly position is a bit of a challenge here. You really have to engage your core to keep from rotating. The fly is more challenging than just a front raise with the arm because your arm is not in line with the body when it's raised, which means that your body has a tendency to get off balance. I had to do this move fairly slowly and will increase my speed as I get more accustomed to the form.)
Free Runner - R: Jump up and kick the right leg front and left leg back. Repeat.
Moving Push-ups: Starting in plank, step your left foot and left arm to the left side, moving your entire body to the left. Do a push-up. Repeat the move again to the left. Return to the center by doing two moving push-ups to the right. Alternate side to side.
Wide Fly - In & Out Ab
Free Runner - L: Jump up and kick the left leg front and right leg back. Repeat.
Moving Push-ups
Wide Fly - In & Out Ab
Free Runner - R
Free Runner - L
Moving Push-ups
360 Hop Squat [Power Move]: Start in a squat with the fingers on the floor. Hop clockwise four times, moving 90 degrees each time. As you hop try to maintain a low squat position. Reverse the move counterclockwise. Repeat alternating direction after four hops (to make the full 360 degree rotation).

Round 4:
Slalom: Start in a squat position with the legs together. Have one arms touching the floor and the other on the shoulder. Jump laterally in the direction of the arm that's on the floor. As you jump, switch arms, so that the arm on the floor is now at your shoulder and the other arm in touching the floor. Maintaining the squat position, jump laterally switching your arms with each hop.
Plank Jack Tap: Start in plank position. Jack your feet out and in. As you jack your feet out, take one hand and tap it to your opposite shoulder. Jack your feet in and return your hand to the floor. When you jack your feet out again, tap the other hand to the other shoulder. Continue jacking your feet out and in and tapping right then left hands to the opposite shoulders.
Scissor - "X": Do four scissor runs where you ski your feet back and forth on the floor. Then do two "X" jumps, where you jump vertically in to the air from a demi-squat position with the arms extended above and the legs below, making and x-shape.
Slalom
Plank Jack Tap
Scissor - "X"
Slalom
Plank Jack Tap
Scissor - "X"
Power Jump Dive [Power Move]: Do a power jump (where you jump from a squat into the air bringing your knees in towards your chest). When you land in a squat, lean forward and dive forward so you are in a full plank with straight legs. Walk your hands back to your feet and stand up so you are again in a squat position and ready for the next power jump. (Note: I had a bit of trouble with the dive part of this move. You ended up hitting the floor fairly hard, as you were supposed to be in full plank, instead of a plank with bent legs, after the drive. I am going to need to practice this one.)
Floor Sprints: Start in plank position. Maintaining that form, run your legs back and forth on the floor as fast as you can.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
:laugh: Friday Fight awaits you in 2 days. :yo:

Also, Max Out Sweat (next 30 days) will change your mind. That workout is Shaun T hell. Personally, I have never included that DVD in any of my hybrids. That is one Shaun T workout that I absolutely dread. It just kicks the **** out of you. I think I'd rather do Speed & Agility twice in a row.

Warm-up:
Low Switch Kick Punch: Start by kicking your legs left and right fairly low to the floor. Punch your arms front left and right.
Hop Hop Knee: Hop twice laterally to the right, then raise the outside knee. Return to the left, hopping twice and then raising that knee. Alternate side to side.
1-2-3 Clap: Side to side three times. Have arms at chest level and open to the sides. Bring up your knee and touch it with the same arm.
(Repeat series twice)
Speed In & Out Abs [Power Move]: In plank, jump the feet in towards the chest and then back out. Repeat as quickly as possible.

Round 1:
Plyo Hook Lunge: Start in a lunge position, jump the front leg to the back and the back leg to the front to switch the lunge. Jump back and forth changing your lunging leg each time. As you do this, do hooks, left and right, with your arms.
Wide In & Out - Knee Tap: Start in plank position with your feet wide. Hop your feet in, under your body. Take one arm and tap the opposite knee. Jump back out into plank with feet wide and bring your arm back down. Repeat and tap the other hand to the other knee. Repeat side to side.
Switch Kick Punch: As you punch your arms, kick your legs left and right as fast as you can and as high as you can.
Plyo Hook Lunge
Wide In & Out - Knee Tap
Switch Kick Punch
Plyo Hook Lunge
Wide In & Out - Knee Tap
Switch Kick Punch
Hit The Floor - Tuck Jump [Power Move]: Move laterally side to side quickly and tap the floor with one hand and then the other. Keep in somewhat a low stance. After each move to the side, do a tuck jump by jumping and bringing you feet under your glutes and your knees towards the chest.

Round 2:
Ab Attack - R: Stand in a sideways squat-type position with arms extended. Jump the feet in and lift the right knee. As you do so, bring the left arm in towards the right knee engaging the abs and twisting slightly.
Burpee Punch - R: Do a burpee by squatting down and then jumping back into plank. However, instead of putting both hands on the floor, only put down the left hand. The right arm punches straight ahead as you go down into the burpee. Jump the feet in, still with the arm punched forward and return to standing. Repeat.
Knee Switch Kick - R: Jump so that you left knee is raised towards the chest. Hop, lowering that knee to the ground and do a kick with the right leg. Then hop back onto the right leg again while raising the left knee.
Ab Attack - L: Stand in a sideways squat-type position with arms extended. Jump the feet in and lift the left knee. As you do so, bring the right arm in towards the left knee engaging the abs and twisting slightly.
Burpee Punch - L: Do a burpee by squatting down and then jumping back into plank. However, instead of putting both hands on the floor, only put down the right hand. The left arm punches straight ahead as you go down into the burpee. Jump the feet in, still with the arm punched forward and return to standing. Repeat.
Knee Switch Kick - L: Jump so that you right knee is raised towards the chest. Hop, lowering that knee to the ground and do a kick with the left leg. Then hop back onto the left leg again while raising the right knee.
Ab Attack - R
Ab Attack - L
Burpee Punch - R
Burpee Punch - L
High Knee - Switch Kick: On cue do high knees. When cued transition to switch kicks. Alternate back and forth on cue.
4 Jab - 4 Knee Punch [Power Move]: Jab left and right four times to the front. Then do four running high knees as you jab left and right.

Round 3:
Wide Fly - In & Out Ab: In plank, jump the feet in towards the chest and then back out. As you jump back, lift one arm directly out to the side. Lower the arm when feet jump back in. Alternate arm raises side to side. Repeat as quickly as possible. (Note: Balancing with the arms out in the wide fly position is a bit of a challenge here. You really have to engage your core to keep from rotating. The fly is more challenging than just a front raise with the arm because your arm is not in line with the body when it's raised, which means that your body has a tendency to get off balance. I had to do this move fairly slowly and will increase my speed as I get more accustomed to the form.)
Free Runner - R: Jump up and kick the right leg front and left leg back. Repeat.
Moving Push-ups: Starting in plank, step your left foot and left arm to the left side, moving your entire body to the left. Do a push-up. Repeat the move again to the left. Return to the center by doing two moving push-ups to the right. Alternate side to side.
Wide Fly - In & Out Ab
Free Runner - L: Jump up and kick the left leg front and right leg back. Repeat.
Moving Push-ups
Wide Fly - In & Out Ab
Free Runner - R
Free Runner - L
Moving Push-ups
360 Hop Squat [Power Move]: Start in a squat with the fingers on the floor. Hop clockwise four times, moving 90 degrees each time. As you hop try to maintain a low squat position. Reverse the move counterclockwise. Repeat alternating direction after four hops (to make the full 360 degree rotation).

Round 4:
Slalom: Start in a squat position with the legs together. Have one arms touching the floor and the other on the shoulder. Jump laterally in the direction of the arm that's on the floor. As you jump, switch arms, so that the arm on the floor is now at your shoulder and the other arm in touching the floor. Maintaining the squat position, jump laterally switching your arms with each hop.
Plank Jack Tap: Start in plank position. Jack your feet out and in. As you jack your feet out, take one hand and tap it to your opposite shoulder. Jack your feet in and return your hand to the floor. When you jack your feet out again, tap the other hand to the other shoulder. Continue jacking your feet out and in and tapping right then left hands to the opposite shoulders.
Scissor - "X": Do four scissor runs where you ski your feet back and forth on the floor. Then do two "X" jumps, where you jump vertically in to the air from a demi-squat position with the arms extended above and the legs below, making and x-shape.
Slalom
Plank Jack Tap
Scissor - "X"
Slalom
Plank Jack Tap
Scissor - "X"
Power Jump Dive [Power Move]: Do a power jump (where you jump from a squat into the air bringing your knees in towards your chest). When you land in a squat, lean forward and dive forward so you are in a full plank with straight legs. Walk your hands back to your feet and stand up so you are again in a squat position and ready for the next power jump. (Note: I had a bit of trouble with the dive part of this move. You ended up hitting the floor fairly hard, as you were supposed to be in full plank, instead of a plank with bent legs, after the drive. I am going to need to practice this one.)
Floor Sprints: Start in plank position. Maintaining that form, run your legs back and forth on the floor as fast as you can.
I'm having PTSD flashbacks.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: Seriously, DBU. **** that workout. It's brutal. It's the only Shaun T video that I sometimes just have to flat out rest. I count to 5 and go back at it, but it just knocks me down again and again and again. I get up like a boxer, but one that is just getting his ass kicked.

There is no easy recovery move like the other ones. Everything hurts. :laugh: And I mean this all in a very good way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad