Beachbody Series Thread (Insanity Max 30 Released)

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Putting those Insanity Asylum plans on hold for a bit. My gf isn't ready to do them, so we're going to go through Gamma again and then Insanity Max 30. Hopefully by then she'll be ready for Asylum!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Putting those Insanity Asylum plans on hold for a bit. My gf isn't ready to do them, so we're going to go through Gamma again and then Insanity Max 30. Hopefully by then she'll be ready for Asylum!

I don't really know if you can graduate to Asylum. The Asylum is just one of those sports-performance workouts that you either have it in you... or don't. Nothing wrong with her doing Gamma and you kicking ass on Asylum.

In fact - I did a 10 week hybrid of Max 30/Asylum not too long ago. I think Asylum is perfect for hybrid workouts instead of following the calendar.

Looking to get a little Pou90x fit, eh? :)

Pou90x/Gary Roberts fit, yo. Fiji water while banging and clanging.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gotta give a little shout out to a workout that is tremendous... Back and 6 pack from Insanity Asylum Vol 2. Really good 37 minute workout.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the 22 Minute Hard Corps workout by Tony Horton. I am a huge fan of Shaun T and am a veteran of his programs for a number of years now. But am thinking of switching things up. I haven't been a fan so much of the P90X series, or Horton for that matter, but this workout intrigues me.

Anyone weight in here? How does it measure up versus Max:30 or Insanity or T25?

Thanks in advance.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a thought, Rusty, but is it on Beach Body On Demand? I think their On Demand stream is free for a month if you sign up. So you can sign up and cancel before it costs anything. Try a few workouts and see what you like.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Been doing Focus T25 for the past five weeks, and seeing nice progress. I really enjoy it. I was getting a bit tired of repeatedly doing Max:30.

Unfortunately, as I was about to kick off Beta phase this week, I got hit with a stupid cold, so I'm out of commission for a few days. I hate it. :(

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Started RushFit recently after a long time doing Insanity/Max: 30. I find Rushfit to be a pretty good product and quite a bit more technical than Shaun T's routines. I am really enjoying it so far.

Anyone else do (or have done) this program and have any feedback or comments?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Thought I'd revive this thread with a little Insanity note of my own: just finished the last day of Max 30 today. I'm pretty stoked I made it all the way through (and even added a 5th week of month one to try and make sure I was ready to tackle month 2). I gotta say, as difficult as they are, I love the Shaun T programs. Dude knows how to make you work and push yourself.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Max 30 was special. The getting extremely in-shape was secondary to the mind game it plays. Improving your max times and pushing your mental will. When that sound hits on Friday Fight Round 2 when you are in the cooldown, you know you did something special. At the end of 60 days, it's almost emotional.

Mental strength is just as important for an athlete as anything. Max 30 is an insanely special program, IMO.

If I can ask - what were some of your bad and some of your very good max times? First time I did Cardio Challenge 1, I made it like 6 minutes. I've completed it 30 full minutes w/o maxing about 8 times now.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Max 30 was special. The getting extremely in-shape was secondary to the mind game it plays. Improving your max times and pushing your mental will. When that sound hits on Friday Fight Round 2 when you are in the cooldown, you know you did something special. At the end of 60 days, it's almost emotional.

Mental strength is just as important for an athlete as anything. Max 30 is an insanely special program, IMO.

If I can ask - what were some of your bad and some of your very good max times? First time I did Cardio Challenge 1, I made it like 6 minutes. I've completed it 30 full minutes w/o maxing about 8 times now.
It really is a mental battle. You have to motivate yourself to put that DVD in every day, and it's not always easy. I think this summer was the perfect storm for it because I've been studying for the bar exam and I would use Max 30 as a way to split up my days. I'd do about 4 hours or so in the morning, do a Max 30 video for a break, and then do another 4 or so hours in the afternoon. That type of schedule helps with maintaining a consistent workout routine.

Some of my worst-to-best times would be:

Cardio Challenge 8:45 in the first week to 15:42 in the fifth and Tabata Strength 8:13 in the first week to 20:08 in the fifth.

I didn't have great improvements in month 2, even though I was pushing myself. For me, it wasn't so much an aerobic limitation on my ability to improve times, but a muscular issue where my legs would not let me push farther as much as I tried. For some reason that's always been an issue for me when I'm in good aerobic shape.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Did Cardio Challenge yesterday. I've completed that w/o maxing many of times. If I do max, it's usually on suicide burpees. On this day, it kicked my butt straight from the beginning. I luckily made it to 17:29, but there were times in the squat kicks that I wanted to just stop and take a break. :laugh: Seriously there was a time at like 7 minutes where I almost convinced myself to take a 5 second break.

I've been training really hard with quick feet and building strength at the gym, that it's been about 5 weeks since i've thrown a Max 30 DVD in. Boy it kicked my ass. This is the DVD collection that keeps on giving.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Did Cardio Challenge yesterday. I've completed that w/o maxing many of times. If I do max, it's usually on suicide burpees. On this day, it kicked my butt straight from the beginning. I luckily made it to 17:29, but there were times in the squat kicks that I wanted to just stop and take a break. :laugh: Seriously there was a time at like 7 minutes where I almost convinced myself to take a 5 second break.

I've been training really hard with quick feet and building strength at the gym, that it's been about 5 weeks since i've thrown a Max 30 DVD in. Boy it kicked my ass. This is the DVD collection that keeps on giving.

Kinda keeps ya honest, doesn't it

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It sure as hell does. I set up a 6 week program to do Max 30/Asylum + weight lifting just to switch it up. I was working a lot on footwork and explosiveness with lifting. So today I have Friday Fight Round 1 + back/bis. I am going to find out how much that workout will kick my ass today.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Crushed some Speed & Agility (Asylum) today. Perfect through jump rope and on fire through the workout. Hot damn it is a great workout.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ok Cole, been thinking about what you wrote last month... challenge accepted. Grabbed the max 30 set and I'll use it in the winter when I back off my hill/sprint training.

Going to lift two days a week still and supplement around the workouts. See how it goes.

Hopefully it's way harder than T-25.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Ok Cole, been thinking about what you wrote last month... challenge accepted. Grabbed the max 30 set and I'll use it in the winter when I back off my hill/sprint training.

Going to lift two days a week still and supplement around the workouts. See how it goes.

Hopefully it's way harder than T-25.

Definitely more challenging than T25. Max: 30 is one of the best programs to ever hit the market IMO. Hopefully you like it too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Definitely more challenging than T25. Max: 30 is one of the best programs to ever hit the market IMO. Hopefully you like it too.

I did the original insanity and really liked it, but now I train differently than I did 5-6 years ago.

Basically I do interval training and need something that can kick my ass in 30 mins or less. Cole suggested Max 30 as the ultimate option... so I ordered it yesterday and will start using it when I can no longer do sprint/hill training when it gets too cold outside.

We'll see how it goes and most importantly if I can get the results I'm looking for.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can't wait to hear your results. Stick with it and kill it. Month 2 is where the results pour in. The workouts are crazy intense but worth it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Can't wait to hear your results. Stick with it and kill it. Month 2 is where the results pour in. The workouts are crazy intense but worth it.

I usually train outdoors, save pushing iron, until late November. So I will probably start doing the program then, with a few random Max 30 workouts thrown in on days I can't get outside for my usual workouts.

So figure a Dec-March rotation of Max 30.

Hill training especially is mentally exhausting, so the max 30 sounds like a great substitute of mind over body.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly a great idea is test running each workout. Just to get used to the moves and get used to format. I always do that w/ my Shaun T DVDs.

You know I always hybrid my Insanity with lifting, but Max 30 is one that I highly recommend following the schedule/calendar because it gets your mind in such a good place. The only DVD I switched out from Month 1 was Tabata Power. Some really love it, but I found it just a tad too easy for a strength day, so I did Tabata Strength each time where the Tabata Power/Strength was in the calendar. Tabata Strength is harder, IMO.

Nonetheless - I found doing this one with a full calendar was one of the best things I've ever done. Made me feel younger. I was stronger. My mental game improve by numbers I cannot calculate. And that helped me lifting afterward because I knew I had another level every time I was in the gym.

I just cannot wait to hear your results once it's said and done. If you have the time, post your daily workout max out times/thoughts. And if you start it on a specific date, I might just re-start it, because I'm getting quite bored in the gym with powerlifting and building strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad