Battlefield 2042 (2021)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looking at the current patch notes, and I get the feeling that a lot of fixes and changes were in the oven but they were told to just release it anyway.

Can't miss out on those holiday sales! Cause shareholders or something.

EA just fired the DICE GM and put Battlefield completely under control of Respawn (Vince Zampella of CoD fame)

They also added a bunch of CoD style stupid ass skins, like this:
xkjr51z2f3381.jpg

Franchise as we knew it is basically dead.

Reactions: HabsTown

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
At this point, the DICE we knew, especially DICE Sweden, is long since gone. I think Vince can change it up but I think he could do something good for it. Not guaranteed, but if EA lets him do his work and actually properly finish the game, saying f*** it to any engine requirements (forcing Frostbite) or release date mandates (like it has to come out during the holidays) could yield some good results.

Also, who knows, maybe he'll take what he had in Titanfall and give us a proper sequel to BF2142?

Also, above, for that pic, what game is that from? I ask because of the Vector SMG.

Sep 19, 2008
That skin is stupid.

And yeah I'm starting to lose my patience with this game. I mean everything is dead but Breakthrough and AoW Conquest which I haven't played yet. Hazard Zone and Portal are dead.

There's a slim chance people come back once the new season drops next year but right now it's only worth playing Breakthrough

Sep 19, 2008
EA just fired the DICE GM and put Battlefield completely under control of Respawn (Vince Zampella of CoD fame)

They also added a bunch of CoD style stupid ass skins, like this:
xkjr51z2f3381.jpg

Franchise as we knew it is basically dead.

Portal is dead too because everything is hardcore or Milsim. What about people who just want to run old maps?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
At this point, the DICE we knew, especially DICE Sweden, is long since gone. I think Vince can change it up but I think he could do something good for it. Not guaranteed, but if EA lets him do his work and actually properly finish the game, saying f*** it to any engine requirements (forcing Frostbite) or release date mandates (like it has to come out during the holidays) could yield some good results.

Apex heavily influenced 2042 and not for the better. I'm very concerned they'll double down, especially after the Santa skins, and just full tilt 100% chase CoD.

Also, above, for that pic, what game is that from? I ask because of the Vector SMG.

It's from 2042. There's also Christmas vehicles and whatnot:

e5jssf03g4381.jpg

Not a great look for a game that is a.) a mess b.) a tonal mess. The world is supposed to be completely f***ed up in 2042 aka resource wars, but hey we got santa skins!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Apex heavily influenced 2042 and not for the better. I'm very concerned they'll double down, especially after the Santa skins, and just full tilt 100% chase CoD.

It's from 2042. There's also Christmas vehicles and whatnot:

e5jssf03g4381.jpg

Not a great look for a game that is a.) a mess b.) a tonal mess. The world is supposed to be completely f***ed up in 2042 aka resource wars, but hey we got santa skins!

Rated M games, putting out skins for 12 years old since forever!

I will say, even if the influence is there, if they took it and made bad design choices out of it, then those people who made those choices should take the brunt of what went wrong.

I will say this about Vince, I could see EA give him autonomy to do the game how he would want it, regardless of release date. I mean, DICE was sadly slipping and Apex keeps chugging along, so it makes sense why they went with Vince, even if it may suck in the end.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I will say this about Vince, I could see EA give him autonomy to do the game how he would want it, regardless of release date. I mean, DICE was sadly slipping and Apex keeps chugging along, so it makes sense why they went with Vince, even if it may suck in the end.

EA Had “No Hand” in Apex Legends’ Development – Respawn

Vince famously made Apex in secret to avoid EA's meddling. He has clout. More than enough clout now to tell the dumb suits to pound sand when they try to ruin a game. But he is also all about that $$$ and could easily dumpster the franchise as we knew it. I just don't see a 'serious' Battlefield surviving this shakeup.

Squad is too milsim for me. Battlefield was a 1 of 1 franchise.

My best hope is that Portal gets popular enough and developed enough to keep the old games alive.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
EA Had “No Hand” in Apex Legends’ Development – Respawn

Vince famously made Apex in secret to avoid EA's meddling. He has clout. More than enough clout now to tell the dumb suits to pound sand when they try to ruin a game. But he is also all about that $$$ and could easily dumpster the franchise as we knew it. I just don't see a 'serious' Battlefield surviving this shakeup.

Squad is too milsim for me. Battlefield was a 1 of 1 franchise.

My best hope is that Portal gets popular enough and developed enough to keep the old games alive.

Considering most people point to Portal as being one of the few, if not the only, highlight the game has. So I could see it being big for the future.

I'll be honest, they should just remaster/remake BF4 with better destruction and other things and sell that. Especially if's great off the bat.

But yeah, Vince has a shit load of the say when it comes to making games. I know he's used to COD stuff, but I don't see him as someone who would just say "f*** this franchise, I'll make it like everything else I've made." We'll see though.

Sep 19, 2008
Portal is a disaster. You can't get as much xp and the servers are all hard core. Not everyone wants a realism Sim in a video game.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Considering most people point to Portal as being one of the few, if not the only, highlight the game has. So I could see it being big for the future.

I'll be honest, they should just remaster/remake BF4 with better destruction and other things and sell that. Especially if's great off the bat.

But yeah, Vince has a shit load of the say when it comes to making games. I know he's used to COD stuff, but I don't see him as someone who would just say "f*** this franchise, I'll make it like everything else I've made." We'll see though.
Well Vince certainly isn't above gutting everything that was fun about a franchise to put in battle royale mechanics while leaving the previous games to die in a hacker-fueled dumpster fire. I don't think that Battlefield going in a different direction is out of the question here.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Apparently this is quite a flop. The suit running this one has stepped down and they've put the apex legends showrunner in charge of the franchise.

You can never tell whats perception and whats reality with the online narrative, this one seems to be a doozy.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I'm not going to lie this game has its faults but Breakthrough is some of the most chaotic gaming I've experienced. In a good way.

They do need to tweak the tower objectives though, it gets kind of weird.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
As usual the internet is being overly dramatic. The serious issues with this game though still haven't been fixed. In fact one of them was even re-introduced (the operators voices can't be muted through VO options anymore)

And I've yet to see anyone explain properly why a respawn and vehicle timer are mandatory, especially when they only show up for certain maps. Again, flying in a chopper, get blown up, wait 13 seconds to respawn. Are you kidding? Why?

The point is to "stop people from skipping revives" but the revive period is so long, and nobody is waiting 30 seconds for a revive, they usually tap out after 10 seconds which is fine.

Take the respawn and vehicle timers out. At least lower them severely so you don't have to wait an hour just to get a damn car to drive to an objective 300m away. Make it easier to spawn on teammates. And mute the damn operators. Bam, game fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad