OT: Baseball is apparently viable - The Champions 2015 Inaugural Season Talk

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
For the LAST time, the first three pages of this very thread were discussing the viability of baseball in the city of Ottawa. Eventually, it became the Champions discussion thread. There is NOTHING negative about the thread title beyond what you and two other members "perceive" as a slight because you clearly don't understand the context of it.

We are not going to change it because you think it's negative. It's clearly not. Drop it.

I don't necessarily find it negative, but I don't understand why everything sports-wise in Ottawa that isn't the Senators needs some kind of qualifier all the time.

Like "OH WOW so it ISSSS viable LOL" is the vibe I get from the title and as others alluded to, there were similar reactions to the Redblacks and Fury threads too.

It's not negative per se, just unnecessary.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I don't necessarily find it negative, but I don't understand why everything sports-wise in Ottawa that isn't the Senators needs some kind of qualifier all the time.

Like "OH WOW so it ISSSS viable LOL" is the vibe I get from the title and as others alluded to, there were similar reactions to the Redblacks and Fury threads too.

It's not negative per se, just unnecessary.

Or, you can look at it positively as this city has come out to support baseball despite other teams failing in the past. But don't you ever miss an opportunity to make sweeping generalizations about Ottawa...

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
Today's game is on Shaw Direct channel 299 for the old format. I'm not sure what channel # it is for the new lineup.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Or, you can look at it positively as this city has come out to support baseball despite other teams failing in the past. But don't you ever miss an opportunity to make sweeping generalizations about Ottawa...

That's a fair comment to make, dude. I won't reiterate my feelings. I would welcome a full thread just on the viability of pro sport in ottawa-gatineau, (I.e. weak/disinterested ownership, stadiums, etc), as opposed to the current setup. I know its the glass half empty point of view, but this is a public forum so I'll raise my views just as I hope you and others raise countering or similar views.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
No the quality of play wouldn't be very good at all. It's not even semi pro baseball.

Boy is this ever ignorant. It's professional baseball. Not MAJOR LEAGUE baseball, but neither is any other tier of baseball in the world except for the very top level. But it's not the majors, so I guess nobody should be watching it right?

Almost think the Sens were bad for the rest of Ottawa sports. Everybody now dismisses levels of minor sports because it's not the big guys. News flash: we aren't a major league sports city in anything other than hockey.

Stop being so elitist and go to the ballpark.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Boy is this ever ignorant. It's professional baseball. Not MAJOR LEAGUE baseball, but neither is any other tier of baseball in the world except for the very top level. But it's not the majors, so I guess nobody should be watching it right?

Almost think the Sens were bad for the rest of Ottawa sports. Everybody now dismisses levels of minor sports because it's not the big guys. News flash: we aren't a major league sports city in anything other than hockey.

Stop being so elitist and go to the ballpark.

Either I'm ignorant or you are. The post I quoted was asking about quality of play. I'm not going to tell people it's awesome baseball when it isn't. If you have family go to a game I'm sure it's a good time and you get to be outdoors etc but the poster was commenting on 75 mph pitchers and that's pretty near close to what some of these players pitch. I never said nobody should watch it just that it wasn't good quality baseball. But if you don't care for the quality or just want to get of the house and do something then do whatever you want. :laugh:

I will be elitist when answering questions about the level of ball, but I don't think it's being ignorant, particularly when I played with several players on these teams before(this team, fat cats, former mlb draft picks ,college & junior college players) and could possibly have vague idea about baseball.

Last edited:

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
Not many people go to minor league or independent baseball for the final result. Sure there are the die hards who want wins but the game is just something to look at and cheer for. But people who don't go because of the quality of baseball are something else.
St. Paul Saints who the Champions are currently playing are averaging 7,820 at their new park because it's the place to be right downtown. They even have the option of going to a MLB game across town but they choose to attend the Saints because it's cheaper and more fun. If you're such a curmudgeon that you can't drink a beer and watch a ball game......

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Either I'm ignorant or you are. The post I quoted was asking about quality of play. I'm not going to tell people it's awesome baseball when it isn't. If you have family go to a game I'm sure it's a good time and you get to be outdoors etc but the poster was commenting on 75 mph pitchers and that's pretty near close to what some of these players pitch. I never said nobody should watch it just that it wasn't good quality baseball. But if you don't care for the quality or just want to get of the house and do something then do whatever you want. :laugh:

I will be elitist when answering questions about the level of ball, but I don't think it's being ignorant, particularly when I played with several players on these teams before(this team, fat cats, former mlb draft picks ,college & junior college players) and could possibly have vague idea about baseball.

What you said was just factually wrong. It's not semi-pro baseball as you said, it's a professional level of baseball that is comparable to Double-A and High-A. You called it a bad level of baseball, not knowing what level it is. Pretty much the definition of ignorance.

I'm not gonna tell you what levels of sports to watch. If you want to go see some top-level baseball, be my guest. But it'll be one hell of a hike to get there. Pretty pointless considering you have perfectly good baseball right in your backyard.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

What you said was just factually wrong. It's not semi-pro baseball as you said, it's a professional level of baseball that is comparable to Double-A and High-A. You called it a bad level of baseball, not knowing what level it is. Pretty much the definition of ignorance.

Knock off the "ignorance" stuff, guys.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008

No it isn't comparable to Double A and High A where are you getting this from?. If it was the teams in the league would be affiliated with major league clubs and players wouldn't get a weak salary of only $2-4k a month. The leagues listed below are much better!

Their is AAA, AA, A+ , Rookie ball,Japan, gulf coast league and several other levels higher than this Can Am league. I haven't been wrong about anything here other than a technicality of professional ball or not. If you're saying that is good baseball though you should watch the higher leagues mentioned above then come back here and call this Can Am League good baseball. It is a bad level of baseball and we have had much better to watch before in this city.
away.

Last edited:

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
Most of these players have played High A or Double-A. Some of these players are older and had their shot at Double-A or Triple-A and the organizations realized they won't make the majors so they give that AAA shot to another kid. That doesn't mean that the older player who was in Double-A suddenly has the skills of a beer leaguer. I can tell you their aren't former major league players on High A rosters, but yet you see tons in the independent ranks. So which level is better?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Champs lost 5-3 to St Paul last night where the attendance was 8848, so Independant ball seems to work fine there. It must be the Ottawa attitude if it's not the best i'm not supporting it.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
No it isn't comparable to Double A and High A where are you getting this from?. If it was the teams in the league would be affiliated with major league clubs and players wouldn't get a weak salary of only $2-4k a month. The leagues listed below are much better!

Their is AAA, AA, A+ , Rookie ball,Japan, gulf coast league and several other levels higher than this Can Am league. I haven't been wrong about anything here other than a technicality of professional ball or not. If you're saying that is good baseball though you should watch the higher leagues mentioned above then come back here and call this Can Am League good baseball. It is a bad level of baseball and we have had much better to watch before in this city.
away.

:facepalm: our starting pitcher played games for the Padres and our manager was the MLB's National League manager of the year... [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Here's the deal:

The Can-Am League is roughly equivalent of high-end High-A // low-end Double-A baseball, but instead of 20 to 23 year-old prospects, what you have are largely 26-30 year-old guys who've already been released by affiliated teams.

In terms of 'Major League' talent, the two players are Wilmer Font and and Andrew Werner. Font came on in relief for five games for the Texas Rangers between 2012 and 2013, and Werner got lit pretty good in eight starts for the Padres in 2012.

The best player on the team is Sebastien Boucher, the team's hitting coach and centre fielder. Let me rephrase that: he was the most consistently good player on the roster while in affiliated ball. The guy was a consistent .280 hitter with plus-speed while in AAA with Seattle and then Baltimore in '07-'08.

However, if you do some digging you'll realize that, while most of the Champions did in fact play in Double- and Triple-A, they burned out at some level. Hence their release from organizational ball, and their arrival in the Can-Am League.

i.e. power-hitting 1B Jon Talley was a decent enough power hitter in High-A ball with Dunedin, hitting .244 across four seasons and cranking 20 homers in 2011. However, he bottomed out in Double-A New Hampshire, hitting .163 in his 29 game audition in 2013.

i.e. starting pitcher Dan Tobik, decent in Angels rookie ball, became a launching pad in the High-A Cal League in 2014, released.

There's guys with all kinds of experience levels, but I'd liken this Champions ballclub to a High-A level minus the blue-chip prospects.

Still a decent level of ball, substantially better than the FatCats (and even the previous Can-Am team, the god-awful Rapidz), but not great.

I definitely encourage everybody to get out to the ballpark sometime in July or August, the ballpark isn't too shabby, the craft beer's decent, and there's the occasional jaw-dropping play.

:popcorn::nod:

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Here's the deal:

The Can-Am League is roughly equivalent of high-end High-A // low-end Double-A baseball, but instead of 20 to 23 year-old prospects, what you have are largely 26-30 year-old guys who've already been released by affiliated teams.

In terms of 'Major League' talent, the two players are Wilmer Font and and Andrew Werner. Font came on in relief for five games for the Texas Rangers between 2012 and 2013, and Werner got lit pretty good in eight starts for the Padres in 2012.

The best player on the team is Sebastien Boucher, the team's hitting coach and centre fielder. Let me rephrase that: he was the most consistently good player on the roster while in affiliated ball. The guy was a consistent .280 hitter with plus-speed while in AAA with Seattle and then Baltimore in '07-'08.

However, if you do some digging you'll realize that, while most of the Champions did in fact play in Double- and Triple-A, they burned out at some level. Hence their release from organizational ball, and their arrival in the Can-Am League.

i.e. power-hitting 1B Jon Talley was a decent enough power hitter in High-A ball with Dunedin, hitting .244 across four seasons and cranking 20 homers in 2011. However, he bottomed out in Double-A New Hampshire, hitting .163 in his 29 game audition in 2013.

i.e. starting pitcher Dan Tobik, decent in Angels rookie ball, became a launching pad in the High-A Cal League in 2014, released.

There's guys with all kinds of experience levels, but I'd liken this Champions ballclub to a High-A level minus the blue-chip prospects.

Still a decent level of ball, substantially better than the FatCats (and even the previous Can-Am team, the god-awful Rapidz), but not great.

I definitely encourage everybody to get out to the ballpark sometime in July or August, the ballpark isn't too shabby, the craft beer's decent, and there's the occasional jaw-dropping play.

:popcorn::nod:

Once again Connor brings detailed and well-researched mediation. I can agree with everything above.

I just don't like seeing things disparaged because it's not an MLB team. The players are putting on uniforms with the Peace Tower on it. They're playing to bring us and our city some glory; don't knock it - support it.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Champs lost 5-3 to St Paul last night where the attendance was 8848, so Independant ball seems to work fine there. It must be the Ottawa attitude if it's not the best i'm not supporting it.

Some would say the attendance is better then expected in Ottawa for a 1st year team.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa

I wouldn't exactly measure the success of our team up against St. Paul, they have ridiculous support over there and it's unmatched throughout indy league baseball. Their team is run like a Triple-A team.

Although, I do agree with your comment about Ottawa people not supporting anything but the best. It shows in attendance numbers - a city this size should easily average 5,000 fans per game. For whatever reason, people decide to stay home.

I think it's just a sour taste associated with baseball because of all the misinformation being spewed around by people who don't know what they're talking about. For example, people say we've lost three baseball teams because they haven't been supported. Simply not true - the only one that folded from a lack of support was the Lynx. If people weren't so stubborn, they would have an open mind and go to the ballpark. But I guess not! :shakehead

Ttracer*

I wouldn't exactly measure the success of our team up against St. Paul, they have ridiculous support over there and it's unmatched throughout indy league baseball. Their team is run like a Triple-A team.

Although, I do agree with your comment about Ottawa people not supporting anything but the best. It shows in attendance numbers - a city this size should easily average 5,000 fans per game. For whatever reason, people decide to stay home.

I think it's just a sour taste associated with baseball because of all the misinformation being spewed around by people who don't know what they're talking about. For example, people say we've lost three baseball teams because they haven't been supported. Simply not true - the only one that folded from a lack of support was the Lynx. If people weren't so stubborn, they would have an open mind and go to the ballpark. But I guess not! :shakehead

This is Ottawa my friend, there's so many events on right now baseball is the last thing Ottawans/ tourists want to see. I stumbled upon a midieval games festival today I had no idea was going on. They were jousting and serving cheap kebabs, had the option to go to bluesfest or any of our world class museums.

We have beaches, lakes, parties all weekends during the summer. Noone is going to spend money to see a semi pro Ottawa baseball team, there's way better things to do with your life. Winter is brutal but Summer in Ottawa can't be beat

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Not limited to Ottawa same with Toronto and MOontreal.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I thoroughly enjoyed the game I went to a few weeks back, and would go to more, but I'm getting too old to sit in 30-35 degree heat and humidity. The thing I find most discouraging around Ottawa is I NEVER see kids playing baseball (hacking around) at any of the parks I drive by. I have a park across the street from me, and in 3 years, I've never seen kids with friends knocking a ball around NEVER... Occasionally I see kids leagues playing on Kilborn, but I don't see young friends just hitting flyballs or whatever... I sspent my whole summers at the local ballpark with friends playing baseball, football, 500, or just working on my pitching .... very different times... DAMN VIDEO GAMES , I tell ya

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

My favorite memories of St. Paul's team was when Bill Murray was the owner of the franchise. In typical Murray fashion, he attended nearly every game and always did something to draw a laugh.

Correction: Bill Murray is still a part owner. And still shows up to games doing funny stuff.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This is Ottawa my friend, there's so many events on right now baseball is the last thing Ottawans/ tourists want to see. I stumbled upon a midieval games festival today I had no idea was going on. They were jousting and serving cheap kebabs, had the option to go to bluesfest or any of our world class museums.

We have beaches, lakes, parties all weekends during the summer. Noone is going to spend money to see a semi pro Ottawa baseball team, there's way better things to do with your life. Winter is brutal but Summer in Ottawa can't be beat

I don't think it's fair to write such an all encompassing post, specifically the bolded. I spend money to go to the ball games, so do thousands of others, that isn't exactly no one. We do in fact enjoy "doing that with our lives". Sitting in the park with a hot dog and a beer on a summer day is glorious.

I don't find bashing the team or bashing baseball in Ottawa to be necessary here. It is one of the many things to do in this city during summer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad