OT: Baseball is apparently viable - The Champions 2015 Inaugural Season Talk

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
Went to today's game , they lost 8-5.. Game started with lots of scoring over the first 5 innings... I enjoyed it, $12 ticket ,$5 parking, there were spots available, and it was just fun going to a game in a stadium type facility... $1 hotdogs for Thursday night's game this week !!.. Some good looking ladies in the stands , I might add.... Fries were good, I can't complain... I'll go back for another... Next on my list is a cgame, as I haven't been to a gam in the new stadium yet...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Went to the doubleheader on Saturday. It's not the highest level of baseball by any means, and you can certainly tell. That being said, it's still a great atmosphere and you can't beat the prices. I still wish it was a single A team instead, but the can/am league is winning me over.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Sussex County Miners pitcher Jamie Walczak tossed a no-hitter in the last game of Saturday's doubleheader in Ottawa. It's only the sixth no-no in the Can-Am League's 10-year history - and it happened here. Pretty cool.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Champions att. yesterday 621, today 698.

simpsons-awkward-collar-pull-o.gif

littleD

Felt bad for them, but had to have a laugh at the poor grounds crew today.

The rain was always coming. Thunder, some lightning, and rain hits in the top of the 3rd(I think?). Stands clear, players pulled off the field. Almost immediately starts pouring rain. After about 5 minutes of this heavy rain, a couple guys make their way over towards the tarp. Another 10 minutes of super rain, and half of the outfield is covered.

But the infield? You know, the part that's going to turn into mud? Yeah. After 15 minutes, these poor guys were pulling on that tarp, and weren't getting it to budge. Even if it stopped raining that second, the game wasn't restarting.

Stood at the main entry/exit for 10 minutes waiting to see if the rain was going to let up. Apparently they still hadn't gotten the tarp on the infield.

littleD

The... strangeness of independent baseball?

Ottawa's next ten games, all on the road, are against teams that aren't in the same league as them. They play Winnipeg, St. Paul and Fargo-Moorhead of the American Association of the Independent Baseball.

Do these games count in the standings of the Can-Am League?

Ttracer*

This thread title is negative and should be changed. Everyone can play softball its more popular than you think. The lynx had a great atmosphere before the stadium/ management went down the drain

Overall, does the team atleast look like pros out there? Paying to see some high school prodigy throw 75mph, with pinpoint accuracy doesn't do it for me.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
This thread title is negative and should be changed. Everyone can play softball its more popular than you think. The lynx had a great atmosphere before the stadium/ management went down the drain

Overall, does the team atleast look like pros out there? Paying to see some high school prodigy throw 75mph, with pinpoint accuracy doesn't do it for me.

No, it's not negative. The original thread title was "Is Baseball Viable?" and seeing as it is, we changed it to "Baseball is apparently viable"

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008

No the quality of play wouldn't be very good at all. It's not even semi pro baseball.

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
The... strangeness of independent baseball?

Ottawa's next ten games, all on the road, are against teams that aren't in the same league as them. They play Winnipeg, St. Paul and Fargo-Moorhead of the American Association of the Independent Baseball.

Do these games count in the standings of the Can-Am League?

Yes the games do count. The AA and the Can-Am league have been doing interleague play for a few years now. In August, Winnipeg makes the trip to play Quebec, TR and Ottawa. Even the Japanese games count in the standings as well as the three series against the road team.

Winnipeg has been getting throttled lately by Sioux City who have two Canadians on their roster who are going to the Pan Am games.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa

Agree that the thread title should be changed to something more neutral, like "The Official 2015 Ottawa Champions Thread" or something along those lines.

There are two former major leaguers on the roster and three others who played AAA. They just signed a player who spent the last three seasons with the Reading Fightin Phils in AA. So yes, it's very good baseball.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Yes the games do count. The AA and the Can-Am league have been doing interleague play for a few years now. In August, Winnipeg makes the trip to play Quebec, TR and Ottawa. Even the Japanese games count in the standings as well as the three series against the road team.

Winnipeg has been getting throttled lately by Sioux City who have two Canadians on their roster who are going to the Pan Am games.

Quebec City also has a few Pan Am athletes, two Cubans and a Canadian. The Canadian is Tim Smith from Toronto.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Agree that the thread title should be changed to something more neutral, like "The Official 2015 Ottawa Champions Thread" or something along those lines.

Agreed. It may not intend to be, but I perceive it to be sarcastic, especially given the fact that the content of the thread is not really about the viability and more about scores, etc

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

IMO the bolded is irrelevant. Technically "everyone" can play soccer too but the Fury still don't pack a stadium.

The part of the title stating "The Champions 2015 Inaugural Season Talk" accomplishes this.

Agreed. It may not intend to be, but I perceive it to be sarcastic, especially given the fact that the content of the thread is not really about the viability and more about scores, etc

The current title makes sense in the context of the former thread title, it's a little carry-over.

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
Ottawa 2
Winnipeg 1
Att: 4587

Goldeyes crowds have been down this year. My opinion is that their promotions are lackluster. They need dollar dog nights and cheap beer nights like other teams do. St. Paul Saints are the masters at promotions.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
IMO the bolded is irrelevant. Technically "everyone" can play soccer too but the Fury still don't pack a stadium.

The part of the title stating "The Champions 2015 Inaugural Season Talk" accomplishes this.

The current title makes sense in the context of the former thread title, it's a little carry-over.

That doesn't make it any less insulting. I don't see anyone other than mods advocating for it not to change. Not sure why its such a big deal. In addition I find the current title very cyncial, - if i recall correctly tjere was a similar negative title associated with the RedBlacks - not really something I really want to associate with being an 'Ottawa' fan

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That doesn't make it any less insulting. I don't see anyone other than mods advocating for it not to change. Not sure why its such a big deal. In addition I find the current title very cyncial, - if i recall correctly tjere was a similar negative title associated with the RedBlacks - not really something I really want to associate with being an 'Ottawa' fan

For the LAST time, the first three pages of this very thread were discussing the viability of baseball in the city of Ottawa. Eventually, it became the Champions discussion thread. There is NOTHING negative about the thread title beyond what you and two other members "perceive" as a slight because you clearly don't understand the context of it.

We are not going to change it because you think it's negative. It's clearly not. Stop derailing the thread with the title talk. This is about the Champions, so discuss the Champions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad