Value of: Barzal's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Matthews getting 11 million or more is a Toronto media driven idea more or less imo. He's a great player, but I've heard multiple people on 1050 call him a top 3 player in the NHL (I even heard best in the league once), and there just really isn't any argument to put him there yet.

I think he and Barzal both land at 8 years between 9-10.5, assuming Barzal has another good season

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Matthews went over PPG in his D+2 season. Draisaitl has never done that despite being drafted two years earlier and playing with McDavid a bunch.

Eichel hasn't hit PPG and got $10 million. $7.5-8.5 is a pipe dream. And you're calling others delusional...
Matthews has not got out of the 60's in points.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I offer him 8x8 right now. If he's the real deal, that's a break on salary. If he has a normal sophomore slump, it's about what he'd be in line to get anyway, if he's worth less than that, it's really bad news for his development.

He doesn't have to take it, obviously, but he can take the risk off himself than losing Tavares and drawing 100% of opposing teams effort knocks down his stats. It gives him a substantial deal, but it tempers some of the risk on the Isles side.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Matthews so far hasn't shown anything to suggest he gets more then ~7.5-8.5M a year on his next deal, slightly below what even Draisaitl is earning.

And unless he comes out with an 80-90 point season next year that's likely what he gets. 8M for 8 years or so. He's not a Top 10 Center in the league right now and wont be paid as one unless he has a big year next year.

Matthews so far has absolutely shown to be worth a lot more than 7.5-8.5mil a season, i would suggest actually watching him because your obviously misinformed.

Also why are you pretending like Matthews scoring 80-90 points next year is not realistic? He had 63 in 62 games this year even with having to come back from injuries several times. Everybody already knows Matthews will be one of the top C's in the game so paying him a bit extra for potential is to be expected.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am guessing if he can repeat his performance(top 11-20 scoring) he probably could get 7-7.5M. Top 5-10 might get him as much as 8.5M. Now if he backtracks a bit he has to think does he want the security of a 6 X 6 deal

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I offer him 8x8 right now. If he's the real deal, that's a break on salary. If he has a normal sophomore slump, it's about what he'd be in line to get anyway, if he's worth less than that, it's really bad news for his development.

He doesn't have to take it, obviously, but he can take the risk off himself than losing Tavares and drawing 100% of opposing teams effort knocks down his stats. It gives him a substantial deal, but it tempers some of the risk on the Isles side.

Barzal isn't eligible to talk contract extension until July 1st of 2019. He still has 2 years on his ELC.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
McDavid paced 87 points in his rookie year, then jumped to 100 points and got $100 million over 8 years.

If Barzal comes close to doing the same in his 2nd year (already matched the first year), then I don't know how you can argue that he should get less.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The people speculating Matthews gets 11M are either completely delusional on the player he is right now, or have massive expectations on him becoming a better player in the next year.

Matthews so far hasn't shown anything to suggest he gets more then ~7.5-8.5M a year on his next deal, slightly below what even Draisaitl is earning.

And unless he comes out with an 80-90 point season next year that's likely what he gets. 8M for 8 years or so. He's not a Top 10 Center in the league right now and wont be paid as one unless he has a big year next year.

Barzal will need to repeat what he did this year in order to really earn a big contract as well. He had the benefit of playing behind Tavares all year this year and was sheltered to an extent(Despite Islanders fans who will come in here and claim otherwise after this). Next year there's a real possibility he doesn't have Tavares in front of him and he'll be going against oppositions top defensive lines and pairings on a nightly basis.

If he can still repeat on this season and produces another 80+ point season, I'd say he gets 9-10M on his next new deal. But I'm a heavy skeptic that he can repeat on what he did this year, so we'll have to wait and see.

Eh. I agree that he isn't worth 11 million right now, but he's shown he's better than guys like Johansen etc who got 8 million. I think assuming he's healthy for 75+ games next year he puts up around 75-80 points which is worth between 8-8.5 million IMO.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Why would he make 6-8 if he was a 20 year old PPG+ player, and a C to boot? His comparables include Eichel and Matthews, one got a similar deal and the other is expected to.

I guess so far so good but we’ll see after next year and possibly the his third before he signs

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Barzal isn't eligible to talk contract extension until July 1st of 2019. He still has 2 years on his ELC.

Then this topic should be made a year from now when we have all the evidence. It's just kind of dumb to willfully make a decision before you can within the rules.

If he's an 80 point player again leading up to it, it's 10-11+. If he regresses some and is a 60 point player it's somewhere between 7.5-9. If he badly starts to crash or gets a huge injury it changes.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If he's an 80 point player again leading up to it, it's 10-11+. If he regresses some and is a 60 point player it's somewhere between 7.5-9. If he badly starts to crash or gets a huge injury it changes.

I am not sure I like using points as the benchmark, I prefer rank in scoring. Using 80 points for instance. 80 points this year ranks me 21st in scoring, 80 points in 2016/17 ranks me 8th. I am not sure which direction the NHL will go in terms of officiating but it seemed like the NHL started to hide the whistle the more the season went on.

Barzal could get 75 points next season and finish like 10th in scoring, would you consider that better or worse then this year(85 points 14th in scoring) for instance)

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Welcome to the NHL where your best players get paid as such. McDavid took a discount albeit a small one. If you don't think Matthews is already one of the best Centers in the NHL youre just looking at his point total and not watching him play. Every part of his game progressed this season, unfortunately he missed like 20 games (and the team rushed him back the first time which led to the second injury). He did everything better this season, including turn Zach Hyman into a 40 point player.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
McDavid paced 87 points in his rookie year, then jumped to 100 points and got $100 million over 8 years.

If Barzal comes close to doing the same in his 2nd year (already matched the first year), then I don't know how you can argue that he should get less.
1) McDavid was 2 years younger
2) McDavid wasn't sheltered
3) McDavid played on a much worse team
4) 99% chance Barzal doesn't get 100 next year

I don't even think they are comparable at all.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1) McDavid was 2 years younger
2) McDavid wasn't sheltered
3) McDavid played on a much worse team
4) 99% chance Barzal doesn't get 100 next year

I don't even think they are comparable at all.

1. Doesn't matter.
2. Barzal might not be next year, and if he hits 100 points, being sheltered in his rookie year won't matter.
3. They were both on bad teams.
4. I'm assuming you mean points, not millions of dollars, so ok, but what if he gets 96?

Young centers putting up monster numbers aren't comparable?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Matthews has not got out of the 60's in points.

Matthews only played 62 games this year? He came off three injuries, and still had 63p in 62 games. He had 34 goals in 62 gams lol both Jack and Matty have been better at a younger age, and don't even get me started in Mcdavid.

Eichel was also injured, both Matty and Eichel, when healthy, and top 3 players in this league the next 10 plus years. Hell Matty was like 10 pts over the PPG when he went down early in the season.

Both are 100pt players when fully healthy.

We gonna start comparing Barzal to Orr and Howe next, after this rookie season?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad