Value of: Barzal's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Boy, I've seen some pretty ignorant, hateful, vile things on the internet that have hurt my soul to the very core.

But then I saw someone ask - not ask, order - Leaf fans to talk about Matthews's contract in a Matthews's contract thread as opposed to a Barzal's contract thread. The arrogance to do that has nearly paralyzed me with shock. I guess true evil does exist in this world.

Such a victim.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I was nice I said PLEASE! :laugh:

And maybe it's about his name... You know, Matthews vs. Mathew, awfully close. He should really change it.

Also, on a more serious note. If Barzal keeps his stats from this year or goes up to 90-100, would $10 million/year be enough?

I would say if he goes to 100 points, he's in the 11-12 bracket, and worth every penny.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If Snow is still around there is no way Barzal gets double digits..even if he hits 125 points.

JT was on 5.5...everyone thought Bailey would get 6-7..yet he signs for 5.5

Barzal will get between 6-7 mill for 6 years. Snow does NOT overpay, especially when he is in the drivers seat

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
If Snow is still around there is no way Barzal gets double digits..even if he hits 125 points.

Barzal will get between 6-7 mill for 6 years. Snow does NOT overpay, especially when he is in the drivers seat

Nobody is in a drivers seat with a talent like barzal. He is as elite as they come. Hell get whatever he wants. Which is what i suspect is the issue with tavares. Isles cant hand him a blank check especially with how bad his skating has become. Tavares isnt impressive anymore. He needs a change of scenery or to get paid elsewhere.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Well he has 1 more year until he can sign and 2 more until his ELC is up.... Next year would be really interesting if Tavares leaves, it would really make Barzal the #1C and all the pressure and matchups would be put on him. He had very good linemates and also benefited from Tavares eating up most of the #1D minutes. Will be interesting to see if he can repeat at PPG.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

JT was coming of 54 and 67 point seasons, in a much lower salary cap era, and even then JT was considered a bargain. If Barzal repeats his season he will get more than Draisaitl and the like, potentially Eichel+ money. If he improves to 95-100, he's going to putting up for to McDavid level points and he'll get seriously paid.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Barzal will never get the credit Eichel and Matthews do until he holds the franchise on his shoulders. When teams play Toronto and Buffalo their game plan has those guys names highlighted, their sending their best lines out to stop them and both of them are still productive. If Tavares leaves and Barzal stays at ppg he will get $10 million guaranteed, there's no way around it after Eichel's contract. That doesn't mean Barzal isn't a great player, it's just that face of the franchise players get paid for more than production. Hell Barzal could turn out to out produce those guys every single year, but as long as Tavares is there people will question it, until he takes over for JT and takes over first line duties.

Pure points really isn't everything. If Marner outproduced Matthews each year he still wouldn't be paid the same as Matthews. There's more that goes into it then just numbers imo.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Eichel has had seasons of 56 pts,57 pts and 64 pts.
He has never come close to the 85 pts Barzal has put up.
Quit getting caught up in where they were drafted.
Those last two were 75-80 point paces on horrific teams though, it's moronic to ignore that fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad