Barzal rookie season vs. Matthews rookie season

Which?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Pretty weak counter. At least the leafs have the depth to be top 6 in the league with him missing a quarter of the season I guess?
All over this thread I have read that Mathews is carrying them to the playoff. Is he carrying them to the playoffs, or are the leafs a good team?

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
All over this thread I have read that Mathews is carrying them to the playoff. Is he carrying them to the playoffs, or are the leafs a good team?
I have also read how Barzal is having this historic rookie season which he is, however are the Islanders any close to being a playoff team because of that? The standings show that to be further from the truth.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015

Honestly? I couldn’t care less how people want to classify it. What matters to me is the leafs are going to make the playoffs for the second straight year after drafting Matthews and have progressed both years. Since drafting Matthews he is clearly our best player. The rest doesn’t matter

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have also read how Barzal is having this historic rookie season which he is, however are the Islanders any close to being a playoff team because of that? The standings show that to be further from the truth.
I am pretty sure Matthews couldn't carry the Islanders to the playoffs since he cannot play Goal or be a #1D man. All you have to look at is see JT is on this team. He's supposed to be the franchise player and one of the NHL's best Centers. Your arguments are becoming more desperate with every point Barzal puts between he and Matthews as Barzal nears the 82 game mark. He has 72 points in 71 games. He's already outproduced Matthews rookie season. But using team success to make a point in who has had a better rookie season. It's non sensical.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am pretty sure Matthews couldn't carry the Islanders to the playoffs since he cannot play Goal or be a #1D man. All you have to look at is see JT is on this team. He's supposed to be the franchise player and one of the NHL's best Centers. Your arguments are becoming more desperate with every point Barzal puts between he and Matthews as Barzal nears the 82 game mark. He has 72 points in 71 games. He's already outproduced Matthews rookie season. But using team success to make a point in who has had a better rookie season. It's non sensical.
If the Islanders were guaranteed to be a playoff team you would be the first person to mention that along with Barzal's success.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

I think his point was it's easier to put up points when your team is a complete dumpter fire defensively and play a run and gun offense.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think his point was it's easier to put up points when your team is a complete dumpter fire defensively and play a run and gun offense.
Rinse and repeated ad nauseum since Matthews is stuck on 69 pts, and Barzal is at 72 pts. If Isles play run and gun. Tavares would be at 90 pts as opposed to 70 right now don't you agree? Leafs played high event hockey last season did they not? The difference if you actually watched the Isles is they do not have an Andersen covering up for them. They also have a pretty bad defence corps. Barzal is one of the Isles best 2 way players. Again his possession metrics are one of the teams best all season long and are better than Matthews possession metrics despite being on a poorer possession team.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Rinse and repeated ad nauseum since Matthews is stuck on 69 pts, and Barzal is at 72 pts. If Isles play run and gun. Tavares would be at 90 pts as opposed to 70 right now don't you agree? Leafs played high event hockey last season did they not? The difference if you actually watched the Isles is they do not have an Andersen covering up for them. They also have a pretty bad defence corps. Barzal is one of the Isles best 2 way players. Again his possession metrics are one of the teams best all season long and are better than Matthews possession metrics despite being on a poorer possession team.

Even though I picked Matthews, I completely agree about the fact that it doesen't de-value the other player for not making the playoffs.

I know that all too well with my teams guy, Connor McDavid...and again Tavares-Barzal, you can have the most talented players on awful teams with no goalies-d-coaching or whatever else it lacks and other fans will try and convince you that its (Barzal) that isn't "LEADING" your team to the playoffs, like I've heard "EICHEL is leading the sabres to last place." it's such non-sense.

If it weren't for these star players on these bad teams these teams could be historically bad.

As great as Matthews is, he is not the reason the Leafs are making the playoffs this year.

Infact Freddy Anderson I think should of gotten more credit last year, just as he is this year.

Notice how the Leafs started to get good when he got there? It's just that Matthews was the front and center man so a lot of people attribute the Leafs success to him.

I think if a GOalie is good, he should always be more important then any player for team MVP status if that forward isn't a top 5 point getter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Even though I picked Matthews, I completely agree about the fact that it doesen't de-value the other player for not making the playoffs.

I know that all too well with my teams guy, Connor McDavid...and again Tavares-Barzal, you can have the most talented players on awful teams with no goalies-d-coaching or whatever else it lacks and other fans will try and convince you that its (Barzal) that isn't "LEADING" your team to the playoffs, like I've heard "EICHEL is leading the sabres to last place." it's such non-sense.

If it weren't for these star players on these bad teams these teams could be historically bad.

As great as Matthews is, he is not the reason the Leafs are making the playoffs this year.

Infact Freddy Anderson I think should of gotten more credit last year, just as he is this year.

Notice how the Leafs started to get good when he got there? It's just that Matthews was the front and center man so a lot of people attribute the Leafs success to him.

I think if a GOalie is good, he should always be more important then any player for team MVP status if that forward isn't a top 5 point getter.
This is why I have Jack at #2. I can't blame him for the Sabres being so bad. This is not Basketbal where 1 man can make or break a team.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

So the islanders are a bad team and the leafs are a good team independent of Barzal and Matthews...... what’s your point?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Let's say the Sabres traded for Andersen and not Robin Lehner, however they still make all the same moves we have seen. Are playoff team with him or are they still in the same position in the standings?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So the islanders are a bad team and the leafs are a good team independent of Barzal and Matthews...... what’s your point?
If people want to say Barzal is having a great rookie season go ahead. I just think Matthews 40 goals in his rookie year and taking the Leafs to the playoffs is better than what Barzal is doing.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Let's say the Sabres traded for Andersen and not Robin Lehner, however they still make all the same moves we have seen. Are playoff team with him or are they still in the same position in the standings?

Still not a playoff team.

Because the Leafs have a way deeper talent pool then just him.

JVR's 30 goals, Marleau's contributions Kadri's two way play 60 pt years. Marner and Nylander, competent D like Zaitsev, Gardiner, Reilly, or how about a Coach like Babcock.

I didn't even get into other solid contributor's like Hyman, Brown, Komarov, etc

Etc, Etc.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Matthews but I really think his 40 goals last year just automatically took credit away from the goaltending perhaps, and this year when Matthews has been out the Leafs don't really miss that much of a beat. He's still there best forward and arguably there best player. (Matthews is)

The Sabres got waaaay too many holes for just Anderson to fix.

He'd have to be Hasek, which he isn't but then again no one was/is.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Still not a playoff team.

Because the Leafs have a way deeper talent pool then just him.

JVR's 30 goals, Marleau's contributions Kadri's two way play 60 pt years. Marner and Nylander, competent D like Zaitsev, Gardiner, Reilly, or how about a Coach like Babcock.

I didn't even get into other solid contributor's like Hyman, Brown, Komarov, etc

Etc, Etc.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Matthews but I really think his 40 goals last year just automatically took credit away from the goaltending perhaps, and this year when Matthews has been out the Leafs don't really miss that much of a beat. He's still there best forward and arguably there best player. (Matthews is)

The Sabres got waaaay too many holes for just Anderson to fix.

He'd have to be Hasek, which he isn't but then again no one was/is.
While Marleau is contributing to the Leafs this season, let's remember how last season he was in San Jose and had nothing to do with that Leafs making the playoffs.

I also agree that Andersen is a huge factor why the Leafs made the playoffs last season and will again this season, which is remarkable considering how he's played during the month of October.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
While Marleau is contributing to the Leafs this season, let's remember how last season he was in San Jose and had nothing to do with that Leafs making the playoffs.

I also agree that Andersen is a huge factor why the Leafs made the playoffs last season and will again this season, which is remarkable considering how he's played during the month of October.
Thats his point exactly...leafs are deep they made playoffs without marleu last season and are making it with alot bigger margin this season despite matthews missing a significant chunk of the season.... the single player that most likely would hit the leafs hardest to lose is andersen i believe. Obviously depends on how his replacement does (mcbackup looks good this season)

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

ANd last year the Leafs squeeked into the playoffs in the last spot, and had 14 loser points.

Not taking away from that team but the team this year is more complete says the standings, and on paper. I'm not suggesting Marleau is the difference, he's not but don't read too much into me listing him second there, the other guys I mentioned after Marleau actually mean more. (Marner, Nylander, that D, Babcock) etc

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
ANd last year the Leafs squeeked into the playoffs in the last spot, and had 14 loser points.

Not taking away from that team but the team this year is more complete says the standings, and on paper. I'm not suggesting Marleau is the difference, he's not but don't read too much into me listing him second there, the other guys I mentioned after Marleau actually mean more. (Marner, Nylander, that D, Babcock) etc
Last season the Leafs were 1-8 in the shootout, so far this season they are 7-2 in the shootout. So if anything they were unlucky to lose those games where they ended up with just 1 point and you can say it made the difference between them finishing in the 2nd Wild Card spot and not 3rd in the Atlantic.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Last season the Leafs were 1-8 in the shootout, so far this season they are 7-2 in the shootout. So if anything they were unlucky to lose those games where they ended up with just 1 point and you can say it made the difference between them finishing in the 2nd Wild Card spot and not 3rd in the Atlantic.

And isn't the most important player in the shootout, the one in the pipes? ;)

And for your part in bold, nah bud I don't think it works that way.

Because you could do that for any team.

You could take anyones ten loser points and turn that into wins and when doing that take any 8th seed and turn them into a top or 2nd best divisional seed.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Your Barzal boy is an overrated poopster. 15+35 next season when the truth comes out, quote me in a year.

This summer: Barzal is an overrated poopster. He's a bust just like Strome, Reinhart and Dal Colle because the Islanders only draft busts and you can quote me on that.

This season: Barzal is an overrated poopster. Sure he's had a good start but he'll come back down to earth. He'll never come close to Matthews rookie season and you can quote me on that.

Now: Barzal is an overrated poopster. The truth will come out next year when he's terrible and you can quote me on that.

Exactly how many incorrect predictions about Barzal from Maple Leaf fans do I need to log? Computers these days only have so much storage space.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
This summer: Barzal is an overrated poopster. He's a bust just like Strome, Reinhart and Dal Colle because the Islanders only draft busts and you can quote me on that.

This season: Barzal is an overrated poopster. Sure he's had a good start but he'll come back down to earth. He'll never come close to Matthews rookie season and you can quote me on that.

Now: Barzal is an overrated poopster. The truth will come out next year when he's terrible and you can quote me on that.

Exactly how many incorrect predictions about Barzal from Maple Leaf fans do I need to log? Computers these days only have so much storage space.

Be sure to call him out if he’s proven wrong... I personally don’t think Barzal will struggle that much, but if Tavares leaves, things are going to be a lot more difficult for him next season, as he will basically be the only player on the Islanders that opposing defence will have to keep an eye on.

Best of luck to him.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Be sure to call him out if he’s proven wrong... I personally don’t think Barzal will struggle that much, but if Tavares leaves, things are going to be a lot more difficult for him next season, as he will basically be the only player on the Islanders that opposing defence will have to keep an eye on.

Best of luck to him.

Toronto fans: Barzal's stats are massively inflated because he has drastically superior linemates compared to Matthews.

Also Toronto fans: If Tavares leaves Barzal will be the only player defenses worry about because every other Islander is trash.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
then to say Matthews is the reason they made it the playoffs is alao just as wrong

are you a leafs fans or a Matthews fan?
Please point me to where I've said that.

Leafs fan, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad