• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yes. I try to be accurate here. At a PPG and over a PPG are 2 very different things.

aiiR262.gif

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I take Matthews because of the whole 40 goal thing and making the playoffs, as well as being a complete player.

3 five point games is amazing but, scoring 4 goals in your first game is something else.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
What I'm saying is just because the Leafs will have had success making the playoffs with consecutive years with Matthews is no reason to discount it when comparing his rookie season to Barzal.
You are just talking in circles. I am not counting or discounting the Leafs making the playoffs in favor of Mathews, it has zero bearing. McDavid is not suddenly a worse player than he was last year because he cant get the Oilers to the playoffs this year. If you want to talk about accolades with teams making the playoffs we can compare Doug Weight to Babcock (I just threw up a little).
I have been on the boards alot lately and it seems as though Mathews carried the Leafs to the playoffs, Marner carried his team to the playoffs...etc.

IMO, Mathews had the better rookie season. If Barzal can actually get to 82 points, I would call it a draw.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He is, but to say the only reason we're making the playoffs is because of him is just wrong.

Leafs are a real good team, really deep offense, average defense, and a top ten goalie is why we're a top ten team in the league, not solely because of Andersen.

then to say Matthews is the reason they made it the playoffs is alao just as wrong

are you a leafs fans or a Matthews fan?

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
Both had fantastic rookie seasons. I lean towards Matthews because I value goal scoring as the number 1 skill in the NHL, but I have no problem with anyone that leans Barzal. The only people that should not be taken seriously are the AINECers, on both sides.

I doubt you will find a Leafs fan that does not side with Matthews. He has just been the perfect fit and exactly what the Leafs needed to complete their rebuild. It’s amazing how the rest of the team fell into place after the lottery balls went the Leafs way and they were able to insert the big, franchise center that plays an all around game while being an elite goal scorer right out of the gate

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Both had fantastic rookie seasons. I lean towards Matthews because I value goal scoring as the number 1 skill in the NHL, but I have no problem with anyone that leans Barzal. The only people that should not be taken seriously are the AINECers, on both sides.

I doubt you will find a Leafs fan that does not side with Matthews. He has just been the perfect fit and exactly what the Leafs needed to complete their rebuild. It’s amazing how the rest of the team fell into place after the lottery balls went the Leafs way and they were able to insert the big, franchise center that plays an all around game while being an elite goal scorer right out of the gate
Isn't he injury prone?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Love all of the 'factors' taken into account. Haven't seen this one yet though:

Who is showing Matthews the way? Who is guiding his game and career? Oh some dipshit named Mike Babckock, maybe ya heard of him.

You know who is leading Barzal? Doug Weight.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Love all of the 'factors' taken into account. Haven't seen this one yet though:

Who is showing Matthews the way? Who is guiding his game and career? Oh some dip**** named Mike Babckock, maybe ya heard of him.

You know who is leading Barzal? Doug Weight.

And Barzal has done it by carrying a winger that has seen better days in Ladd, an unproven goal scorer in Beauvillier, and a player who has not scored 30 goals in over 7 years in Eberle. He is so good now, JT has been moved to wing to make Barzal the defacto #1C .

I don't think there is a question who has had a better rookie year. If Barzal gets to 80, this will put him next to Malkin's 80+ point rookie season. That would put him in elite company indeed.

It's just too hard to ignore a 80 point rookie not winning a Calder trophy over a 69 point rookie.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
TO add on here cause the convo is fun and topical, why not a thread on who has the better season THIS YEAR?

Barzal and Matthews are the same age so that's a wash.

Matthews has an extra year of development in the NHL, thats important right? The posters from early in this thread said Barzal had a development advantage, so hows that argument looking now?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Is Matthews 30 or 12?

Oh, **** wait really? They're the same age? Thats weird.
Barzal has one more summer of training. And he couldn't crack it last year. Anyways, it's still Matthews because the objective of this game is to score goals and he does it 100% better than Barzal, while being a responsible two way player.

Your Barzal boy is an overrated poopster. 15+35 next season when the truth comes out, quote me in a year.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Barzal has one more summer of training. And he couldn't crack it last year. Anyways, it's still Matthews because the objective of this game is to score goals and he does it 100% better than Barzal, while being a responsible two way player.

Your Barzal boy is an overrated poopster. 15+35 next season when the truth comes out, quote me in a year.

lol I'd be happy to. I'll begin to bake the crow pie.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Matthews had the benefit of playing a pro year in the Swiss League. He was a very mature 19 year old last season being that he missed the 2015 draft by 2 days. Barzal was not ready last year. He came straight out of the WHL. He got a taste of the NHL and was told to work on his defensive game. To his credit he did, and he is now the Isles best 2 way Center. IE.Consistently the top SAT % players on the Isles all season. If possession is not a proxy for good defence I don't know what is? Which is coincidentally better than Matthew's possession numbers this season, despite playing on a weaker possession team. Your post lacks a few truths contextually.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Also whats this crap about "Matthews has one more year of NHL experience" bs. He has that experience because he's a great player who was good enough to play in the big league in his rookie year.

Okay, you missed my point so I shall try and simplify.

Regardless of how they got there, having one NHL season under the belt is an advantage for any player vs a true rookie. Agree or disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad