Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Here are the forwards available to the Barracuda for next year

NHL deals, can't be sent to juniors or Europe:
Viel, Dahlen, Kellman, Yurtaikin, True, Halbgewachs, Gregor, Blichfeld, Wiederer, Gambrell

AHL deals:
McCarthy, Weinger (LS can fill in if I missed anyone)

RFAs who will or might be re-signed:
Suomela, Letunov, Martin, Perron

Have junior eligibility left:
Chekhovich, Chmelevski, McGrew

May have European assignment clause:
Bergmann

RFAs I assume will not be retained:
Chartier, Schoenborn, Clifton

That's 20 forwards. Perhaps a couple of them make the NHL, but still, that's an insane number of guys, and I don't want Chmelevski or Chekhovich to be sent back to juniors when there's nothing left for them there.
What do you see happening for the defense?
And at this point there are already 36 NHL contracts......only 14 max left among 23 free agents

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
What do you see happening for the defense?
And at this point there are already 36 NHL contracts......only 14 max left among 23 free agents
The Cuda defense I think is easier to predict. I don't know which guys on AHL deals have another year or are coming back, but Ferraro, Roy and Sund will all be there. Wood, DeSimone and Fitzgerald are RFAS that I think will be retained. Jacob Middleton will probably be up and down again unless he has a fantastic camp. Donaghey and Brodzinski are most likely not going to be qualified.

As for the contract slots, I think the Sharks will be close to 50, but I would expect Doug to be making some deals and that will clear out at least 3-5 NHL contracts.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Cuda defense I think is easier to predict. I don't know which guys on AHL deals have another year or are coming back, but Ferraro, Roy and Sund will all be there. Wood, DeSimone and Fitzgerald are RFAS that I think will be retained. Jacob Middleton will probably be up and down again unless he has a fantastic camp. Donaghey and Brodzinski are most likely not going to be qualified.

As for the contract slots, I think the Sharks will be close to 50, but I would expect Doug to be making some deals and that will clear out at least 3-5 NHL contracts.

I hope they re-sign Gregoire. I want to see if there's something there with him.

Gregoire is on AHL deal through 2021. :D (Only D guy on AHL deal as of today)

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
RFAs who will or might be re-signed:
Suomela, Letunov, Martin, Perron

I do have a feeling Letunov might be gone. Which is a shame, because I like what he brings at times. He's still a huge project and his warts are really noticeable when his offense isn't there. Possibly the best stickhandler on the team, but he's listed at 6'4", 190 lbs and plays like he's afraid of contact.

Wouldn't shock me if Suomela goes back to Europe either.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I do have a feeling Letunov might be gone. Which is a shame, because I like what he brings at times. He's still a huge project and his warts are really noticeable when his offense isn't there. Possibly the best stickhandler on the team, but he's listed at 6'4", 190 lbs and plays like he's afraid of contact.

Wouldn't shock me if Suomela goes back to Europe either.
Suomela stated in an interview that he's coming back. Staying with the Sharks for the entire playoffs probably helped as well. DWJr. also stated that they signed Suomela for the future, so I would be surprised if he's not retained.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Suomela stated in an interview that he's coming back. Staying with the Sharks for the entire playoffs probably helped as well. DWJr. also stated that they signed Suomela for the future, so I would be surprised if he's not retained.

While I believe all that, it doesn't seem like DeBoer cares for him that much, and DeBoer is still here. I always think back to DeBoer's quote when Suomela got demoted in the first place:

“If Antti Suomela could kill penalties, and block shots, and be great defensively, and finish hits, and be hard to play against, he’d be here. Otherwise, we’d just call up the leading scorer from our American League team and put him on our fourth line. But that’s not how you build a team to win and win in the playoffs.”

It's not like Suomela has shown he's able to do any of that in his AHL time. So he might be looking at the exact same situation next season, too. All I'm saying is it wouldn't shock me if he didn't want to be doing that again.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
While I believe all that, it doesn't seem like DeBoer cares for him that much, and DeBoer is still here. I always think back to DeBoer's quote when Suomela got demoted in the first place:

It's not like Suomela has shown he's able to do any of that in his AHL time. So he might be looking at the exact same situation next season, too. All I'm saying is it wouldn't shock me if he didn't want to be doing that again.
Holy shit. That is a brutal quote.

Though you could apply this to Labanc. Lol.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Holy ****. That is a brutal quote.

Though you could apply this to Labanc. Lol.

In fairness this is when Melker was playing poorly and Gackle was raising that big stink about fans not wanting him around (i.e. DeBoer was saying "Melker Karlsson does all these things!"), but he did specifically say this is why Suomela is not in his lineup.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

That quote is from that awful article about Melker that Gackle wrote targeting fans who wanted Suomela to play over Melker. He told that to Deboer and Deboer reacted pretty unprofessionally. Deboer turns into a baby when people question him. Suomela and Melker are totally different players who play different styles and Deboer’s point about building a team basically speaks to his narrow minded approach to coaching. I’m not saying Suomela is ready to be a full time NHLer or he had a good year last year, just that I expect he’ll stick with the Sharks for another year. Maybe it wore on Suomela as the year went on, but Sorensen went through the same thing and eventually got rewarded. Hopefully Suomela doesn’t give up after one year.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That quote is from that awful article about Melker that Gackle wrote targeting fans who wanted Suomela to play over Melker. He told that to Deboer and Deboer reacted pretty unprofessionally. Deboer turns into a baby when people question him. Suomela and Melker are totally different players who play different styles and Deboer’s point about building a team basically speaks to his narrow minded approach to coaching. I’m not saying Suomela is ready to be a full time NHLer or he had a good year last year, just that I expect he’ll stick with the Sharks for another year. Maybe it wore on Suomela as the year went on, but Sorensen went through the same thing and eventually got rewarded. Hopefully Suomela doesn’t give up after one year.

His approach towards games shows the kind of team and players he wants. He wants to not lose games instead of trying to win them. He would be perfectly content with a bottom-6 of 6 Melker's with little to no ability to score. He wants the big guns to score and if they get shut down, like against the Blues, we get screwed.

I am not very pleased that he is back but not shocked either. We made it to the WCF with a banged up roster and did expect him to be back. We have True, Gregor, Ch-twins, etc. all who may deserve a chance to make it to the Sharks. But with PDB they are always going to be on an extremely short leash. Labanc (last year), Heed (last 2 years), etc.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
His approach towards games shows the kind of team and players he wants. He wants to not lose games instead of trying to win them. He would be perfectly content with a bottom-6 of 6 Melker's with little to no ability to score. He wants the big guns to score and if they get shut down, like against the Blues, we get screwed.

I am not very pleased that he is back but not shocked either. We made it to the WCF with a banged up roster and did expect him to be back. We have True, Gregor, Ch-twins, etc. all who may deserve a chance to make it to the Sharks. But with PDB they are always going to be on an extremely short leash. Labanc (last year), Heed (last 2 years), etc.
Not sure I buy that. Melter is somewhat of a pain in the ass due to his speed on the forecheck and he kills penalties. I have no problem with PDB quote about Shovels. It should have lit a fire under his ass to dominate in the AHL which he appeared to have the skill and speed for but it seems like he went down and pouted. Hopefully they gave his a list of stuff to work on in the off season which included adding 10-15 pounds to his skinny frame and he comes back and takes the 3rd center position so Jumbo can play 4th line center and 2nd PP.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not sure I buy that. Melter is somewhat of a pain in the ass due to his speed on the forecheck and he kills penalties. I have no problem with PDB quote about Shovels. It should have lit a fire under his ass to dominate in the AHL which he appeared to have the skill and speed for but it seems like he went down and pouted. Hopefully they gave his a list of stuff to work on in the off season which included adding 10-15 pounds to his skinny frame and he comes back and takes the 3rd center position so Jumbo can play 4th line center and 2nd PP.

Thats not my point. My point is that he wants 'all' players to fit his mold of a hockey player. And when you do that, you are missing out on some offensive talent because you are focused too much on that. PDB is also the kind of player who repeatedly sends his 4th line out in situation where we are down or up by a goal in the 3rd period. I have never understood that with the type of players he uses on the 4th line.

I was very frustrated that we didn't get True even 1 game last year. The dude who is a big guy and led the AHL in points. Baffling.

Does not matter. We are stuck with PDB for another year at atleast. I have not been very happy with him since our SC run and don't expect it to be much different with him at the helm.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I think the Suomela shot is done. He got a look and struggled a bit. Got sent down with the expectation that he would get more minutes and dominate. Instead, he kinda sucked. If you suck at the AHL level, your are toast. I expect suomela will not be resigned and will either return to finland, or maybe take a flyer on some other team.

The sharks are so stacked with young forward potential that there is no desperation or space for mediocrity in the forward ranks. The Chwins will get a real look and chekhovich especially looked ready last preseason, it was just not quite time yet. I expect blichfeld and gregor will get real looks too. Kellman was signed and is already an older player, so guys like that jump to the front of line (see donskoi, suomela...) so right now, I would put him near the front runner for grabbing a spot. Yurtaykin looks a bit further away. True is big and took a big step forward last year as well and Perron did too especially before he bonked his head. True's size and skillset seem to fit a bottom six grinder cycling role, kinda like Goodrow, so I wonder if we wont see him in that role sometime. The Chwins, Gambrell, and the like are more skill players that would fill the top 9 ranks.

Suomela got his shot, but he's likely out. Letunov is also now too far down on the depth chart and is likely out. Chartier got his look, but he'll be out too. Schoenborn and clifton are out. Jon martin has an outside chance of resigning as I know Sommer likes him and he projects as a longer term prospect.

It should be a fun camp among the forwards. I cannot remember a year with so many first year guys coming up or in with potential to make the team. I mean, there is a legit chance that any of blichfeld, gregor, chmelevski, chekhovich, gambrell, and Kellman make the team out of camp. Should be fun to watch.

Now the back end on the other hand....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the Suomela shot is done. He got a look and struggled a bit. Got sent down with the expectation that he would get more minutes and dominate. Instead, he kinda sucked. If you suck at the AHL level, your are toast. I expect suomela will not be resigned and will either return to finland, or maybe take a flyer on some other team.

The sharks are so stacked with young forward potential that there is no desperation or space for mediocrity in the forward ranks. The Chwins will get a real look and chekhovich especially looked ready last preseason, it was just not quite time yet. I expect blichfeld and gregor will get real looks too. Kellman was signed and is already an older player, so guys like that jump to the front of line (see donskoi, suomela...) so right now, I would put him near the front runner for grabbing a spot. Yurtaykin looks a bit further away. True is big and took a big step forward last year as well and Perron did too especially before he bonked his head. True's size and skillset seem to fit a bottom six grinder cycling role, kinda like Goodrow, so I wonder if we wont see him in that role sometime. The Chwins, Gambrell, and the like are more skill players that would fill the top 9 ranks.

Suomela got his shot, but he's likely out. Letunov is also now too far down on the depth chart and is likely out. Chartier got his look, but he'll be out too. Schoenborn and clifton are out. Jon martin has an outside chance of resigning as I know Sommer likes him and he projects as a longer term prospect.

It should be a fun camp among the forwards. I cannot remember a year with so many first year guys coming up or in with potential to make the team. I mean, there is a legit chance that any of blichfeld, gregor, chmelevski, chekhovich, gambrell, and Kellman make the team out of camp. Should be fun to watch.

Now the back end on the other hand....

DW Jr. already said they expect him back next season. There's no reason not to give him a second year when this was his first year on smaller ice.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
DW Jr. already said they expect him back next season. There's no reason not to give him a second year when this was his first year on smaller ice.

Really? that's interesting. I suppose there is little downside, but it would obviously have to be a two-way contract. I thought, given the sharks forward depth, that suomela might look around. Obviously, I would be thrilled if he leapt beack into the fray....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Looks like Seattle has selected Palm Springs for their affiliate location. (New 10k arena being built on tribal lands.)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A Utica Comets fan seeking some info on Francis Perron.
What line did he skate on?
Who were his linemates and what is their status as prospects for the Sharks?
Was he a driver or a passenger on said line?
Do you still see him with NHL potential or is he on his way to a journeyman AHL career?

You got Tom Pyatt. He is a steady performer, but he won't drive a line. He is not physical. He is not fast. His shot is nothing special. These are issues which have seen him not exactly a stalwart during his 445 NHL GP, but he is steady and dependable to play a 2-way game. That's how he's carved out a career. He is on the way down now, but can play 2nd line wing. The Comets were struggling last season and he put up 19 points in 38 games after coming over from Ottawa in a trade. Hope he does well for you guys. He is a team player and not be an anchor by any means.

Thanks!

Reactions: NiWa

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
A Utica Comets fan seeking some info on Francis Perron.
What line did he skate on?
Who were his linemates and what is their status as prospects for the Sharks?
Was he a driver or a passenger on said line?
Do you still see him with NHL potential or is he on his way to a journeyman AHL career?

You got Tom Pyatt. He is a steady performer, but he won't drive a line. He is not physical. He is not fast. His shot is nothing special. These are issues which have seen him not exactly a stalwart during his 445 NHL GP, but he is steady and dependable to play a 2-way game. That's how he's carved out a career. He is on the way down now, but can play 2nd line wing. The Comets were struggling last season and he put up 19 points in 38 games after coming over from Ottawa in a trade. Hope he does well for you guys. He is a team player and not be an anchor by any means.

Thanks!
We arent keeping Pyatt, and you got Perron because he wasnt good enough to make the sharks and woulda wanted money

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
We arent keeping Pyatt, and you got Perron because he wasnt good enough to make the sharks and woulda wanted money

This is fine, but I please read my request again. I am after some info as to what line he played on (1st? 2nd? ?). Did he drive the line? Is he physical. Is he good in both ends? Did he get PP or PK duty on a regular basis? The guy put up 47Pts in 63 GP. He was +10 and stayed out of the box. Those are pretty decent numbers.

Anybody else watching this team want to help me out? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is fine, but I please read my request again. I am after some info as to what line he played on (1st? 2nd? ?). Did he drive the line? Is he physical. Is he good in both ends? Did he get PP or PK duty on a regular basis? The guy put up 47Pts in 63 GP. He was +10 and stayed out of the box. Those are pretty decent numbers.

Anybody else watching this team want to help me out? Thanks.
Sorry, I dont live anywhere near San Jose or even get AHL games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad