Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
When I was watching, Simek looked to be the much more offensive-minded player. He'd step up in the play almost every shift. That's changed now that he's in the league, though.

DeSimone always looked more consistent but less flashy. I don't remember seeing any glaring mistakes or questionable decisions, but it sounds like that's changed too now :sarcasm:

Yeah, consistency is the one thing DeSimone doesn't have going for him.

DeSimone jumps into the play all the time this season. He's very offensive minded, way more than Simek was. That's not always a good thing, Barracuda are getting burned on some of his bad pinches lately.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And the Barracuda season ends with a whimper.

Lost 2-5 in game 4, losing series 1-3. But they scored first in all four games of the opening round (best of five).

Youngest roster (or close to youngest) in league (again). 15 rookies.

I'll expect black aces to be recalled Thursday or Friday. Bibeau/Korenar, Gambrell, Radil, True, Middleton and maybe Merkley.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Merkley was brutal tonight.....
He owns 2 of SD goals.....
Pinched when he shouldn't have and then glided back to the defensive zone....still a very selfish player.....rewarding him with PP time is t h e wrong message
Should have given Gregoire a shot over him

Reactions: NiWa

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Last couple games reminded me of that series Sharks had with Ken Hitchcock's Blues a few years ago. Gulls spent all game gumming up our lanes and pressuring the puck carrier and we had no answer for it. Doesn't matter who was on the ice, nobody could get anything through. Then San Diego scores off screens and guys just being left wide open in our zone. Frustrating and at the end you're just left annoyed.

Merkley was just not good. It's hard to give his defensive shortcomings a pass when he contributes zero points in the series.

Reactions: NiWa and UncMike

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
I thought K Middleton had been playing better this series and then he handed a blind pass right in front of our net and San Diego scores

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Merkley was brutal tonight.....
He owns 2 of SD goals.....
Pinched when he shouldn't have and then glided back to the defensive zone....still a very selfish player.....rewarding him with PP time is t h e wrong message
Should have given Gregoire a shot over him
Not that I’m excusing his play, because I didn’t watch, but the fact that he played all 4 games instead of several other dmen makes you wonder if Sommer was given orders to use him. To try to show him the pros, build his confidence, help him develop or whatever. Coming straight from juniors it’s not surprising he really struggled. I was really surprised that Roy didn’t get into a game. It’s too bad they didn’t win a round.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm liking this Sheng guy. Asks the tough questions in such a polite way.

Sommer places player development over anything else, so if he put a sub-optimal lineup I'm not surprised.

Didn't watch the game, but the comments about Gambrell seem to describe this NHL play.

Seems like Roy is a bust at this point.

Reactions: Sandisfan and NiWa

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Having watched some of Viel last season and seeing how well he progressed throughout this season, seemingly getting better as the season wore on, I think we may end up with a real solid bottom six player with him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sheng moved from Vegas, following wife's job. Well respected in hockey circles in Nevada.

Now he's asking some hard questions and often gets more than a cliche answer.
I was wondering how he got here. His trajectory seemed pretty weird to me and I was curious. Sounds like he was a Kings fan/blogger for a while before he did the Vegas gig.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was wondering how he got here. His trajectory seemed pretty weird to me and I was curious. Sounds like he was a Kings fan/blogger for a while before he did the Vegas gig.

I was going to say that The Athletic should fire Kevin Kurz and replace him with Sheng Peng, but then I realized that Peng’s Content would no longer be free.

Regardless, Sheng Peng is great. Definitely the best Sharks media guy that I can remember in a while.

Reactions: NiWa and BigDmitriy

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
What type of game does Kyle Wood play? Does he use his size and how is his skating?

For me, his first pass is his best quality and he does have a nice shot from the point. He will play the body to break-up the cycle, although, I would not characterize him as overly physical. His skating is below average. If he pinches, he cannot recover against the rush. I would say that he is in the same vein as Middleton, but Middleton is better than him in all aspects except the shot.

Just my opinion, definitely curious to hear other Cuda poster's thoughts.

Reactions: NiWa

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Here are the forwards available to the Barracuda for next year

NHL deals, can't be sent to juniors or Europe:
Viel, Dahlen, Kellman, Yurtaikin, True, Halbgewachs, Gregor, Blichfeld, Wiederer, Gambrell

AHL deals:
McCarthy, Weinger (LS can fill in if I missed anyone)

RFAs who will or might be re-signed:
Suomela, Letunov, Martin, Perron

Have junior eligibility left:
Chekhovich, Chmelevski, McGrew

May have European assignment clause:
Bergmann

RFAs I assume will not be retained:
Chartier, Schoenborn, Clifton

That's 20 forwards. Perhaps a couple of them make the NHL, but still, that's an insane number of guys, and I don't want Chmelevski or Chekhovich to be sent back to juniors when there's nothing left for them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad