Barracuda News and Discussion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
LMAO at thinking the reigning SC-winning coach is an idiot given the rookie F and the pedestrian D corps (excl. Letang) he had to work with.

And we should definitely put our #5 scorer from our SCF run on the 4th line. :shakehead

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
LMAO at thinking the reigning SC-winning coach is an idiot given the rookie F and the pedestrian D corps (excl. Letang) he had to work with.

And we should definitely put our #5 scorer from our SCF run on the 4th line. :shakehead

That was a list of coaches I don't think are idiots...

If you'd watched a game of Sharks hockey this season you'd know Wardo has had a serious drop off, even from last spring.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Honestly it's seriously time to call up Meier.

We have to assume that Labanc will be coming back up after the game today, but with Wingels back, I'm sure Carpenter will stay down. Unless Labanc starts to really struggle, I assume that Meier is going to stay down with the Barracuda. We know that Haley isn't going anywhere, and I don't think DW wants to trade any forward depth right now. It's a new situation. I'm not used to this. Usually when we have someone who clearly should be playing in the NHL, they get called up and do. Right now we have several guys that can and probably should be on the big team, but there's no room.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We have to assume that Labanc will be coming back up after the game today, but with Wingels back, I'm sure Carpenter will stay down. Unless Labanc starts to really struggle, I assume that Meier is going to stay down with the Barracuda. We know that Haley isn't going anywhere, and I don't think DW wants to trade any forward depth right now. It's a new situation. I'm not used to this. Usually when we have someone who clearly should be playing in the NHL, they get called up and do. Right now we have several guys that can and probably should be on the big team, but there's no room.

I dunno, it's actually a good opportunity to call up one of the wingers and see what Meier or Goldobin can do in the NHL.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
We can't score, Joel Ward is on our 2nd line, Chris Tierney is on our 3rd, Micheal Haley is in the lineup...the notion that "there's no room" for Meier or Goldobin on this team is laughable but unfortunately I'm sure it's a notion Doug and Petey share.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I dunno, it's actually a good opportunity to call up one of the wingers and see what Meier or Goldobin can do in the NHL.

I agree completely, I just don't think the organization feels the same way. I'd like to see an attempt to fix the Couture line with someone other than Ward.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Good point, saying I'd rather see Meier in the lineup than Micheal Haley totally means I did a 180 on my opinion that he was far from the best option at 9th overall and will never be a first line forward.

You've been claiming that Meier is likely to be a bottom 6 Tommy Wingels-esque forward that would be lucky to play on the 2nd line in his prime and now you have him playing in the top 6 for his first NHL game and are mad he hasn't been called up?

Yea, that's a complete 180.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
You've been claiming that Meier is likely to be a bottom 6 Tommy Wingels-esque forward that would be lucky to play on the 2nd line in his prime and now you have him playing in the top 6 for his first NHL game and are mad he hasn't been called up?

Yea, that's a complete 180.

Come on you can't be this disingenuous - playing on the 2nd line isn't equivalent to being a second liner. If you call a prospect like Meier up you have to give him a chance to succeed, regardless of what I or anyone else thinks his ultimate potential might be. That means playing him with the Joes or with Couture+Donskoi or at least Hertl if he was healthy, not Tommy Wingels and Melker Karlsson.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The complete 180 in a matter of two months is pretty funny lol

Changing your opinion based on new evidence shouldn't be a negative thing. I'm continually shocked that people treat it as though it is.

I also changed my opinion on Meier. The Meier I'm seeing this season is not the Meier I saw in Juniors. I think Meier is approximately on par with Barzal and Connor (although Rantanen is obviously better).

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Come on you can't be this disingenuous - playing on the 2nd line isn't equivalent to being a second liner. If you call a prospect like Meier up you have to give him a chance to succeed, regardless of what I or anyone else thinks his ultimate potential might be. That means playing him with the Joes or with Couture+Donskoi or at least Hertl if he was healthy, not Tommy Wingels and Melker Karlsson.

Disregard what Meier actually is for a second, I'm going off of your distorted view of him.

If you personally believe that he is going to be a bottom six forward with bottom six abilities and bottom six talent, why do you want him to play in the top six and drag down his linemates? I'm honestly curious, especially wen you said that this is our last year and that we can't afford to make mistakes with unknowns.

You have a huge issue with guys like Ward and Boedker playing in the top six because you believe they are bottom six quality, so why not the same with Meier?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Changing your opinion based on new evidence shouldn't be a negative thing. I'm continually shocked that people treat it as though it is.

That's not what I have a problem with it. I have no issue with someone changing their stance if they actually saw them progress and gave input along the way about their specific abilities.

SR made claims about Meier's ability and potential solely on points (showing he obviously didn't see him in juniors last year) and by giving bland descriptions like "doesn't have the vision" (which is weird because that's one of the best parts of his game) and attributed almost everything he did to his linemates (which, if you actually saw Meier, was not the case in the slightest). I also never saw him post once about actually watching Meier while playing nor did I see him give feedback on his game when he was playing in a junior game.

And, again, the biggest problem I have with those posts is that he leaves no wiggle room. You either are a bust at 20 or looking like a star. You are either going to make the NHL in a top 6 role at 19 or you are going to be a fringe player. There is no medium.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Disregard what Meier actually is for a second, I'm going off of your distorted view of him.

If you personally believe that he is going to be a bottom six forward with bottom six abilities and bottom six talent, why do you want him to play in the top six and drag down his linemates? I'm honestly curious, especially wen you said that this is our last year and that we can't afford to make mistakes with unknowns.

You have a huge issue with guys like Ward and Boedker playing in the top six because you believe they are bottom six quality, so why not the same with Meier?

First of all, drop the top six/bottom six dichotomy. It's antiquated and any team worth its salt thinks in terms of top nine/fourth line or better yet just tries to roll four skilled lines.

Second, even though I think Meier's likely outcome is Wingels in his prime A) Wingels in his prime was a 35-40 point scorer, certainly a top nine player B) I recognize Meier has the upside to be better than that so it's worth giving him an opportunity now that he has appeared to have earned it with his AHL play. Especially since Hertl is injured.

Also, successful teams have long gone with "pairs" of forwards on their scoring lines and cycled bottom six talent on the other wing. Pittsburgh had Conor Sheary and Bryan Rust in their top six in the playoffs, I envision the Sharks doing something similar with Thornton+Pavelski, Couture+Donskoi and Marleau+Hertl as pairs in the postseason.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Labanc is so dominant.

I kinda want to see what happens if we keep all of them down there. If they gain consistency, this is a Calder Cup contending team.

Then again, we really need some of these guys this year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Meier again. He's got a snipe spot at the top of the right faceoff circle like the opposite of Stamkos/Ovi/etc

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm generally hopeful about Armalis cuz the nights he's been good, he's looked good but he lets in some softies man. Also seems like his 5 hole is pretty vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad