• Eichel

• Matthews

• Draisaitl

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Matthews is superior to Draisaitl in every aspect outside of playmaking... There's a good reason the experts at TSN have him ranked ahead of Draisaitl in the NHL's top-50 players .
:laugh:

The experts at TSN have Matthews ranked ahead of all of them.

I prefer the opinions of paid professionals rather then biased haters on HF.
Those paid “professionals” are blatant Leaf homers. I can’t believe this is an argument you are actually using. Listen to Johnson and Hayes on the Draisaitl discussion with Petrillo and “O-Dog” if you want some actual non biased discussions. Petrillo and “O-Dog” are hilariously biased

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh:

Those paid “professionals” are blatant Leaf homers. I can’t believe this is an argument you are actually using. Listen to Johnson and Hayes on the Draisaitl discussion with Petrillo and “O-Dog” if you want some actual non biased discussions. Petrillo and “O-Dog” are hilariously biased
I don't buy that for one second. Phil Kessel once got ranked 47th in that top-50 list and HF even thought it was low.

That's a lazy argument. Their opinions hold far more weight than random internet posters who can't get over their hatred of the Leafs.

There is a plethora of valid reasons for Matthews being superior to Draisaitl and clearly the experts agree.

Mar 26, 2010
Do certain Leafs fans have short term memory loss or is the delusion just a trait instead of a bug?

Leon Draisaitl has a Hart, Art Ross and a Lindsay trophy. And he consistently outproduces Matthews by massive margins year after year after year.

Nobody thinks that Matthews is comparable to Draisaitl. Perhaps if he was less one dimensional and displayed something more than below-average playmaking abilities he'd work himself into the discussion instead of being a distant afterthought here.
Matthews is the way better goal scorer and better Defensively than Draisaitl. Mathews is the best goal scorer in the NHL. Matthews has a Calder and Rocket Richard Trophy. This is also the same guy that scored 40 goals in the NHL as a rookie as a teenager.

Draisaitl plays with McDavid and has his stats inflated for that fact.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Matthews is superior to Draisaitl in every aspect outside of playmaking... There's a good reason the experts at TSN have him ranked ahead of Draisaitl in the NHL's top-50 players .
Well that would be a lie. Draisaitl is better defensively, he's a better line driver, he's better on the PP and PK and can be relied on in all situations, he's a vastly superior playmaker and the difference in goal scoring between him and Matthews is miniscule.

What, exactly, does Matthews do better than Draisaitl? Seems their actual production says basically nothing. I would say Matthews is a bargain bin version of what Draisaitl actually is but that would be giving him too much credit.

better Defensively than Draisaitl.

The myth of Matthews being a good defensive player is hilarious but it doesn't make it true.

Mathews is the best goal scorer in the NHL.

That remains to be seen. Sure isn't looking like it so far this season.

Matthews has a Calder and Rocket Richard Trophy.

Why are you comparing Matthews' trophy case to other players that embarrass him in that respect?

Lazy and uninspired buzz take that means nothing and isn't backed up by any tangible data since every good player plays with other good players. Matthews plays with Marner, Tavares and Nylander, it's not Draisaitl's fault he doesn't produce more playing with good players.

Last edited:

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
I don't buy that for one second. Phil Kessel once got ranked 47th in that top-50 list and HF even thought it was low.

That's a lazy argument. Their opinions hold far more weight than random internet posters who can't get over their hatred of the Leafs.

There is a plethora of valid reasons for Matthews being superior to Draisaitl and clearly the experts agree.
Ok cool that was probably like 8 years ago. Why do their opinions hold far more weight when it’s clear they are catering to the largest market in the league? I guarantee they don’t watch Draisaitl as much as myself or many others on this site do.

Like I said, watch that discussion. Hayes and Johnson bring up good points and say that Draisaitl is firmly the second best player in the league. Petrillo and O-Neill are pretty much just scoffing at it and rolling their eyes, no bias there at all

Reactions: Kerberos

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Matthews is the way better goal scorer and better Defensively than Draisaitl. Mathews is the best goal scorer in the NHL. Matthews has a Calder and Rocket Richard Trophy. This is also the same guy that scored 40 goals in the NHL as a rookie as a teenager.

“Way better” lol

You realize that Draisaitl has hit 50 goals, right? And is currently leading the league in goals.

And I can’t believe you are seriously bringing up the Calder when Drai has won a Hart, Ross and Lindsay. He was also one goal away from winning the rocket, without scoring a single empty net goal the whole year while Ovechkin had three or four

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok cool that was probably like 8 years ago. Why do their opinions hold far more weight when it’s clear they are catering to the largest market in the league? I guarantee they don’t watch Draisaitl as much as myself or many others on this site do.

Like I said, watch that discussion. Hayes and Johnson bring up good points and say that Draisaitl is firmly the second best player in the league. Petrillo and O-Neill are pretty much just scoffing at it and rolling their eyes, no bias there at all
So did they just start "catering to the largest market" only when Matthews joined the Leafs? How long have you been documenting this alleged phenomena? Was Toronto not the biggest market 8 years ago too?
There's precisely zero evidence of this, no reason to take it serious.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
So did they just start "catering to the largest market" only when Matthews joined the Leafs? How long have you been documenting this alleged phenomena? Was Toronto not the biggest market 8 years ago too?
There's precisely zero evidence of this, no reason to take it serious.
Ok, keep listening to the garbage that “O-Dog” and Petrillo spew.

How could there realistically be any evidence of this other than just listening to what they say?

Anyways, have fun with Matthews. Great player. We’ll keep Draisaitl, the second best player in the league.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Easy choice is Matthews. You take the Rocket Richard winning, best goal scorer in the NHL. He does not have McDavid to hold his hand and pad his stats.

Draisaitl is overrated. He is the luckiest player in the league to have 97’s coat tails to ride.
Matthews gets outproduced by Marner on a regular basis and Matthews and Marners numbers don't come close to either McDavids or Draisaitls

Reactions: Kerberos

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
“Way better” lol

You realize that Draisaitl has hit 50 goals, right? And is currently leading the league in goals.

And I can’t believe you are seriously bringing up the Calder when Drai has won a Hart, Ross and Lindsay. He was also one goal away from winning the rocket, without scoring a single empty net goal the whole year while Ovechkin had three or four

So was Matthews 2 years back. Try to keep the same standard for all players. @34 has been nothing but objective and balanced with his views.

Reactions: 34

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Calder and Rocket.

I'll take the guy with an Art Ross, Lindsay and Hart.

Lindsay and Hart trump both those awards AINEC

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This is ironic considering Matthews goal totals went up as soon as Marner started playing with him.

Who is really holding who’s hand in this situation?

His goal rate at 5v5 hasn’t actually changed from his first three seasons (without Marner) to the past two plus this one so far (with Marner). His increase can be attributed to the PP (where he always played with Marner), and an increase in minutes.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews gets outproduced by Marner on a regular basis and Matthews and Marners numbers don't come close to either McDavids or Draisaitls
Edmonton plays in the weakest division in the NHL. When Toronto played in the garbage Canadian division last season, they ****ing torched the Oilers. They also won the division.

The Oilers duo would not be putting up points against teams like Tampa and Boston.

Mar 26, 2010
“Way better” lol

Matthews > Draisaitl

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
The Oilers duo would not be putting up points against teams like Tampa and Boston.
See now your desperation to try and convince yourself that Matthews belongs in the conversation with Draisaitl has made you completely lose the plot.

You do realize that anybody can go and take a look at McDavid and Draisaitl's production against other teams, right? Pretty funny trying to lie about players who absolute trounce Matthews to the tune of 30-40 points every single season by saying they can't produce against certain teams in the NHL.

If anything, Matthews should prove that his production in a one-off division wasn't a fluke considering he's shown an inability to produce like that in a typical NHL season whereas McDavid and Draisaitl actually have. In multiple seasons. Consistently.

Reactions: McAsuno

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Edmonton plays in the weakest division in the NHL. When Toronto played in the garbage Canadian division last season, they ****ing torched the Oilers. They also won the division.

last year in the same division Draisaitl torched Matthews point totals

Draisaitl 84 points (more than Matthews career high in a full season)
Matthews 66 points.

yikesssss

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Voted Matthews at the time, would vote Drai now.

Drai
Matthews
Barkov (or have him number 2/ Matthews 3)
Eichel (until he can prove himself again, i dont see an argument for him not being bottom.)

Mar 26, 2010
last year in the same division Draisaitl torched Matthews point totals

Draisaitl 84 points (more than Matthews career high in a full season)
Matthews 66 points.

yikesssss
Ok…and Matthews scored more goals than Draisaitl as usual. Goals are way more valuable.

Matthews - 343 Games with 204 goals

Draisaitl - 488 Games with 208 goals

So yeah, almost the same goal amount with Matthews with way less games. On top of that, Draisaitl has McDavid to hold his hand.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ok…and Matthews scored more goals than Draisaitl as usual. Goals are way more valuable.
Sure. When they're close in points, the guy who scores more goals is more important yes.

Draisaitl is lapping Matthews though.

Last 3 seasons.

Draisaitl
137 GP
84 Goals
133 assists
217 points

Matthews
131 GP
93 Goals
61 Assists
154 Points

so 9 more goals, vs 63 more points.

Using Draisaitl's Rookie year from 8 years ago doesn't help you, considering this is an argument about now.

Better luck next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kupo and KidLine93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad