Proposal: Barkov in MTL

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Not great I wouldn't take this loose #1 center get a decent winger an ok defenseman and a first mmmm.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
He was drafted high, dominated junior and is 6th in rookie scoring mostly playing with 3rd and 4th liners. It's a lot closer to outstanding than "nice" first season.
If a 47 point pace is outstanding for you, that's great. To unbiased fans it would rate as nice.

In my opinion, Suzuki hasn't proven enough to be considered as the main piece for a young, established, high end 1C. Florida could easily do much better in a deal if Barkov was truly available.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Colorado could do:
Newhook
Bowers
Kaut
Timmins
Col 1st 20
Col 1st 21

If I'm Colorado I absolutely make that trade to take advantage of the Mackinnon deal over the next 3 years.

And while that is a lot to give up, it would give them:

Mackinnon (3yr x 6.3)
Drai (5yr x 8.5)
Rantanen (5yr x 9.25)
Landeskog (2yr x 5.6)
Makar (1yr x 2.85)
Byram (3yr etc)
Francouz (2yr x 2m) + Grubauer (2yr x 3.33)

Bowers, Kaut aren’t elite pieces. I’m not even sure Timmins fit that description either. Even Colorado first round picks aren’t exactly elite pieces either.

The original offer of (5) pieces from Montreal was:

- Kotkaniemi (19) former 3rd overall not even two years ago
- Suzuki (20) 20 years two way C pacing for 48 points/82 games
- One of Caufield (19) or Romanov (20) both in or relatively close top 10 prospects in the world
- #8 overall in a deep draft
- Unprotected 2021 first round pick.

I mean, in terms of value, the Colorado one isn’t even a tiny bit close. It’s even realistic to say that the 4th best piece in Montreal deal has more value than Colorado’s best (Newhook)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If a 47 point pace is outstanding for you, that's great. To unbiased fans it would rate as nice.

In my opinion, Suzuki hasn't proven enough to be considered as the main piece for a young, established, high end 1C. Florida could easily do much better in a deal if Barkov was truly available.

They probably could, yes but I wouldn’t be shocked if Suzuki was in fact the main piece discussed in a deal for Barkov. It’s unlikely to happen, but it does have some legs to it.

also, FYI, over the last 49 games of the season, Suzuki was pacing at a rate of 0.85 PPG. His first ~20 games were on the the 4th line wing with no PP time. He worked his way up the lineup.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

That's a very poor way of putting it. Hes 6th in rookie scoring playing with 3rd liners, it's nothing to scoff at. I said Suzuki is a lot closer to outstanding than nice, never said that he was outstanding, dont put words in my mouth.

I have already said that the value is way off, but Suzuki is far more valuable than Caufield or 8th OA which you treated them all to be worth the same.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
giphy.gif

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
To finaly getting a real first Center in MTL

MTL : Domi + Petry (resigned) not UFA + #8 OV 2020
For
Florida : Barkov

Lets take a look at the rosters shall we (focusing on top 4 and top 6 for simplicity, chemistry etc not considered))

Florida runs:
Vatrano - Huala - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Domi - Hoffman
bottom 6

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Petry

They get considerably weaker, not nearly as competitive as they are now. Without Barkov, their centre depth becomes worst in the league.

vs.

Montreal
Tatar - Barkov - Gallagher
Drouin - Denault - Armia
bottom 6

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - ?

Forward wise, thats significantly better. Montreal can win with that if they sort out their D a bit and they can compete quite well.

The amount this trade decimates Florida is just so noteworthy.

Reactions: Laus723

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
That's a very poor way of putting it. Hes 6th in rookie scoring playing with 3rd liners, it's nothing to scoff at. I said Suzuki is a lot closer to outstanding than nice, never said that he was outstanding, dont put words in my mouth.

I have already said that the value is way off, but Suzuki is far more valuable than Caufield or 8th OA which you treated them all to be worth the same.
It really doesn't matter if you think Suzuki is worth more than the other two Montreal pieces. The fact is, that the offer isn't fair for Florida, so the individual values of each piece don't matter and is getting off the topic of this thread.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
You don't give up a young elite 1C for a 33 year old Dman, a second line player and a lottery ticket at #8 in draft. Think over payment and that's not it. You gotta make offer that Panthers can't refuse. At that point it's just silly for Habs to do it meaning obscene over payment. Panthers have no need to move Barkov for anything less an obcene overpayment.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

He still needs to build on it and sustain it. What happened to KK? Players can regress from a great rookie season. We’ve seen this before. He’s a great young player but he’s not the main piece in a reasonable trade for a young franchise center. Your Habs fans can agree with you and you guys can enter year 20 without a true franchise center. Everyone is happy!!

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lets take a look at the rosters shall we (focusing on top 4 and top 6 for simplicity, chemistry etc not considered))

Florida runs:
Vatrano - Huala - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Domi - Hoffman
bottom 6

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Petry

They get considerably weaker, not nearly as competitive as they are now. Without Barkov, their centre depth becomes worst in the league.

vs.

Montreal
Tatar - Barkov - Gallagher
Drouin - Denault - Armia
bottom 6

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - ?

Forward wise, thats significantly better. Montreal can win with that if they sort out their D a bit and they can compete quite well.

The amount this trade decimates Florida is just so noteworthy.

It’s even worse for Florida when you consider both Hoffman and Dadonov are pending UFA’s

If they did the OP they should just fold the franchise

Reactions: kevrondl

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You don't give up a young elite 1C for a 33 year old Dman, a second line player and a lottery ticket at #8 in draft. Think over payment and that's not it. You gotta make offer that Panthers can't refuse. At that point it's just silly for Habs to do it meaning obscene over payment. Panthers have no need to move Barkov for anything less an obcene overpayment.

No, you certainly don’t. Franchise center like Barkov simply aren’t traded. You build around those players, you don’t trade them.

That being said, I still find it quite funny that you referred Barkov (24) as being a young elite #1 C (which is true) but then went on to refer Suzuki (20) has a « second line player ».

Suzuki is a second line center with elite (PPG) potential. He will never be at the level Barkov is (franchise player) but if you’re going to call out a ridiculous trade proposal (which is what OP’s proposal is) at least call the pieces in it what they really are.

Jerryvvv

Apr 4, 2020
To finaly getting a real first Center in MTL

MTL : Domi + Petry (resigned) not UFA + #8 OV 2020
For
Florida : Barkov

you don't get a #1C in his prime for that,

#1 centers in their prime are rarely traded, thats why you need to draft your own,

Montreal need to quit dreaming about Barzal, Barkov, PLD, Eichel, etc etc,

Just like Tavares, Duchene, Karlson.....it ain't gonna happen

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure why the Panthers would do that OP offer. Older D, 50-55 point winger/C that isn’t great defensively and a magic bean for a career just under PPG #1C who is very solid defensively.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It’s even worse for Florida when you consider both Hoffman and Dadonov are pending UFA’s

If they did the OP they should just fold the franchise

Alright, Huala is a UFA too eh? Can't see any of those guys returning if that trade gets done.

Huberdeau - Domi - Connolly
Vatrano - Borgstrom - Acciari
Sceviour - Wallmark - Tippet
Saarela - Heponeimi - Serron

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Petry
Matheson - Weegar

Bobrovsky
Drieger

If the trade gets done, Florida might get the 1oa.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No, you certainly don’t. Franchise center like Barkov simply aren’t traded. You build around those players, you don’t trade them.

That being said, I still find it quite funny that you referred Barkov (24) as being a young elite #1 C (which is true) but then went on to refer Suzuki (20) has a « second line player ».

Suzuki is a second line center with elite (PPG) potential. He will never be at the level Barkov is (franchise player) but if you’re going to call out a ridiculous trade proposal (which is what OP’s proposal is) at least call the pieces in it what they really are.
Was referring to the OP's original post which was Domi not Suzuki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad