Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Because they ban a substance nobody else bans for superficial reasons. The IOC is so corrupt and has such ridiculous policies. It's all embarrassing.

It's banned by WADA, not the IOC. I spent 5 years under random drug testing playing football, there's a million things that are banned, we were reminded of it everyday and had a seminar at the start and end of each season. Many of them are innocuous if they aren't being used maliciously, but there are people using these seemingly innocuous substances intentionally to gain an advantage or mask something else used to gain an advantage.

There is no way that these guys and the staff of the teams can be ignorant of it. Most embarrassing for them.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
This is complete BS just like in our case with Vitalijs Pavlovs,IOC is just imitating "war on steroids" after that whole Armstrong embarrasment,they have to do SOMETHING,right?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
You gotta be kidding me! So freakin stupid! Wow I think imma gonna go pop a few now didn't know it was a sports inhanciing drug! What a joke!

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The list of banned substances is ridiculous.

Equating taking Claritin (Backstrom) or taking food supplements (Pavlovs) with PEDs is just stupid.

They shouldn't take away his medal.

Last edited by a moderator:

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Claritin does not have pseudoephedrine, only the Clairitin-D variant does, and it's something that shouldn't be taken regularly. As an Olympic athlete, he should've been prescribed a pill that only contains antihistamine. Somebody messed up.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
This is not Backströms fault, most likely, its the Swedish staff that missed big time. They should have 110% control on what medications the players might have and if it legal or not.

Disaster really.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
There are allergy medicines that don't contain pseudoephedrine.

And many of them aren't effective or have other negative side effects for some people.

I suffer from allergies but the only allergy medication I can take and actually function is that which contains pseudoephedrine because antihistamines make me completely drowsy.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Very unfortunate if true. Poor guy. Tainted image for a simple error that he should have been made aware of long ago.

darkbrew*

I told my 8 year old son this today. Backstrom is his favorite player. He ran to his room crying after he learned it was due to a drug that he won't be playing. He is heartbroken right now that his hero would do such a thing.

Sher-Wood

May 12, 2003
Sweden
This is not Backströms fault, most likely, its the Swedish staff that missed big time. They should have 110% control on what medications the players might have and if it legal or not.

Disaster really.
It's possible he took Claritin against his migraine before anyone could stop him.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
And many of them aren't effective or have other negative side effects for some people.

I suffer from allergies but the only allergy medication I can take and actually function is that which contains pseudoephedrine because antihistamines make me completely drowsy.

Well, then fill out a form, have it signed by some recognized doctors and send it to the WADA, they'll grant you an exceptional status. Problem solved.
Anyone blaming the WADA/IOC for this is just ridiculous.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Wow.. wonder where the blame lays with this, you think someone who plays in the NHL would ask the team before taking meds.

It lies solely on the player. He knows what he can and cannot take. If he's having allergies, he knows what he can take, if he is having headaches, he knows what he can take. I suspect there's something else going on here.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Well, then fill out a form, have it signed by some recognized doctors and send it to the WADA, they'll grant you an exceptional status. Problem solved.
Anyone blaming the WADA/IOC for this is just ridiculous.

No its not WADA/IOC fault. Its either Backis own fault or the Swedish staffs fault or both.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
People feel sorry for Backstrom? He and staff made a huge blunder, as a professional how does he not know these risks?

He let his team and country down, he deserves to feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad