Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merla

Nov 1, 2007
Lubomir Visnovsky also tested positive for taking pseudoephdrine in the Olympics 2010. He was given a reprimand though (wasn't disqualified). Link

Lomac

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg
trainers fault here, they must have a list of all the banned substances unless he just took it on his own.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
Lubomir Visnovsky also tested positive for taking pseudoephdrine in the Olympics 2010. He was given a reprimand though (wasn't disqualified). Link

how do you reprimand a player who isn't paid? if I were Backstrom and Sweden I would now be upset about uneven treatment

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Probably a miss in communication since you are allowed to use it in the NHL. Clumsy but not malicious.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
how unfortunate, well the rules are the rules.

It's a dumb rule that has been changed in the past and should be again.

The IOC stopped having pseudoephedrine as a banned substance after they took a Romanian gymnast's gold medal away over a similar deal to this and a big controversy ensued. Then a few years after that they made it a banned substance again and again someone mistakenly took it for allergies and a great athlete is losing out on a medal over a dumb rule that does nothing to stop real cheaters but just penalizes athletes who happen to have allergies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's a dumb rule that has been changed in the past and should be again.

The IOC stopped having pseudoephedrine as a banned substance after they took a Romanian gymnast's gold medal away over a similar deal to this and a big controversy ensued. Then a few years after that they made it a banned substance again and again someone mistakenly took it for allergies and a great athlete is losing out on a medal over a dumb rule that does nothing to stop real cheaters but just penalizes athletes who happen to have allergies.

Don't you know, you must be allergy free to participate in the Olympics! :sarcasm:

What's next, insulin is a banned substance? That will make diabeetus a requirement for the Olympics :sarcasm:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

So the IOC just cheated us out of an actually competitive GMG for grins and giggles? Swell.

Although I suppose they were more lenient in the 2010 Olympics because those would have been held just 1 month after the IOC had stupidly reinstated the pseudoephedrine ban.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Olympics banned substances list is bit of an overkill. I vaguely remember a 16 yr Romanian gymnast losing her gold medal over cold medication. Everybody sympathized with her and she was cleared of any foul play, but her gold medal was not re-instated.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
OK they just said Nicklas Backstrom's name in the silver medal ceremony, so is he still getting a silver medal?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Finland lost its Bronze medal in 1974 because one of the players had used something illegal (goalie). What happens to Swedens medals? I bet they get to keep them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad