Olympics: Backstrom out final game for banned substance in allergy meds (mod warning post 140)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHolySlapper

Jan 12, 2013
"Feel bad for Bäckström". Wake up guys, Swedes will lose their medals because that one cheater! I feel bad for Swedes but not for cheater one..

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
In 1974 finnish goalie Stig Wetzell got caught using illegal substances unknowingly. I think Finland lost a medal due to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stig_Wetzell

"Wetzell's perhaps most infamous moment came when he was caught doping during the 1974 Ice Hockey World Championship tournament in Finland. Testers found illegal amounts of Ephedrine in his urine sample. Wetzell's positive A- and B-samples caused Finland's 5-2 win over Czechoslovakia to be reversed to a 5-0 loss to the Czechs.[1] It is still debated[by whom?] if Wetzell was intentionally using illegal substances. If Finland's 5-2 victory over Czechoslovakia had stood, Finland would have won bronze medals in the tournament.

Wetzell received an International Competition ban due to his doping in the 1974 Championship Tournament.
Later, Wetzell received an apology from the Finnish Ice Hockey Association, and he was inducted into the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame in 2004."

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This could cause Sweden a medal and have all their game results where Backstrom played nullified. That's what usually happens when a member of a team event is caught breaking PED rules.

Yeah that won't be happening.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Has to go up there with the Vicks Inhaler in the history of doping.*

However, we have been told that the NHL is clean when it comes to drugs. That might explain a reason why some owners don't want to come back.:sarcasm:

Claratin can be used as a stimulant although his allergies can still be legit. I had to use it ones for a bad case of hay fever and you could really feel its effects. Need to check the label.

* kudos for those who get it. Europeans are allowed to take a stab at it.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's really not that hard. Don't take anything labelled "non-drowsy." Should have been made very clear to the players in the lead up to the tournament and at it by administrators and medical staff.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Has to go up there with the Vicks Inhaler in the history of doping.*

However, we have been told that the NHL is clean when it comes to drugs. That might explain a reason why some owners don't want to come back.:sarcasm:

Claratin can be used as a stimulant although his allergies can still be legit. I had to use it ones for a bad case of hay fever and you could really feel its effects. Need to check the label.

* kudos for those who get it. Europeans are allowed to take a stab at it.

Alain Baxter? That was worse to be fair. Probably be like robbing the Latvians of a medal.

Feel bad for Backstrom. From what I've read, it's been on and off the banned substances list. Sucks for him, but someone should be keeping track of what the players are taking

AHB*

How is it embarrassing to the IOC?

Because you hold out Sweden's #1 center for taking a medicine that the majority of the planet takes...

No wonder these guys miss games with the flu all the time.

Question, what CAN they take?

a1cd

Jun 15, 2006
Sweden should bring Backstrom on the ice anyway and force them to give him a medal, IOC doesn't want to be embarrassed on a world stage.

Any professional athlete playing in any professional sports league knows you don't just take meds. This is 100% the fault of Backstorm or the trainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad