Rumor: Babcock linked to Pens rumors

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
there has been some speculation that the red wings aren't going with a lame duck coach. i don't believe that's the case, though.

they can go into next year with babs not having contract beyond that but it tends to be rare among coaches. they tend to get extended even if it's likely that they'll be gone before their deal runs out. carlyle with leafs for example, wilson before him.

if he's not signed when the season starts, it likely means that he's gone after the season is over. not 100% but it would strongly indicate that.

he might sign one year deal or five year deal or whatever.

it's basically speculation since we don't know what he wants.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Aren't we fortunate that Weiss is from Ontario and turned down a better offer from the Blues. Oh wait... Nope Holland is an idiot, we only use location to take away from signings like DeKeyser and Rafalski... Guess it was luck of the draw we were talented enough to lure them, not like the winning tradition he played a huge part in building or anything.:sarcasm:

We don't know at all Holland wasn't huge in landing DeKeyser. Remember the woe is us Yzerman is going to get him just by walking in the room. Funny how once they nailed him down it was of course they did that was in the bag. Pretty different narrative at the time, like it or not Holland and Babs walked in the room and knocked that one out of the park, he heard from all 30 teams and we had to pitch him and not just as a local kid and everything he indicated is we had a very attractive pitch with the local play being a part of it but not the whole thing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Aren't we fortunate that Weiss is from Ontario and turned down a better offer from the Blues. Oh wait... Nope Holland is an idiot, we only use location to take away from signings like DeKeyser and Rafalski... Guess it was luck of the draw we were talented enough to lure them, not like the winning tradition he played a huge part in building or anything.:sarcasm:

We don't know at all Holland wasn't huge in landing DeKeyser. Remember the woe is us Yzerman is going to get him just by walking in the room. Funny how once they nailed him down it was of course they did that was in the bag. Pretty different narrative at the time, like it or not Holland and Babs walked in the room and knocked that one out of the park, he heard from all 30 teams and we had to pitch him and not just as a local kid and everything he indicated is we had a very attractive pitch with the local play being a part of it but not the whole thing.

source pls?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That was out there on free agency day, Armstrong said he was in on both Filppula and Weiss and offered them more than they eventually signed for. They then inked Roy. Not sure a google search wouldn't turn it up not really that interested in hunting for it right now, okay I lied it was found pretty quickly. But it was out there. We were not Weiss' only suitors.

“We targeted two players, Stephen Weiss and Filppula from Detroit and we had good conversations with both of the players," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. "We made what we thought were strong presentations as far as term and dollars. We lost out on both players, but I think both players said …they appreciated our efforts.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_6a2130e8-6b41-57f9-9b76-80341a545e45.html

Think Lebrun is the one that said they beat the Wings dollars for same term and the protections he has in his contract in one of his early how good or bad signings have turned out. But Armstrong was pretty public on free agency day that St. Louis thought they outbid us and then Filppula in terms of Tampa and lost in both cases.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@dery1051
Holland says he will talk to Babcock next week. He thinks a contract extension can get done. Ken knows how highly regarded Mike is.

@DennyKapp
Holland told @dery1051 that he and Babcock would discuss an extension starting next week. He thinks MB wants it as much as #RedWings do.

@DennyKapp
"For the same reasons I hired him 2005, you'd like to find an extension. He gets results." Ken Holland on Babcock w/ @dery1051 @DSports1051

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Babcock doesn't wanna sign a 3 year contract we should just tell blashill he has the job after next year

Yeah I think he has to ink at least three years.

Guess tomorrow is when the Wings announce Holland has a five year deal? Remember Babcock even saying he knows the Wings have to do Holland before him then they can sit down. Maybe they won't announce these during the playoffs or something, but for Holland to be plotting forward must mean his contract situation has evolved.

That or very interestingly could Babcock be getting some other title in this go round with Holland's title changing. Maybe Babcock would get more say in terms of the NHL side though I think he has a considerable amount. Just wondering if that is the hold up on Holland, kind of expected that to be done and announced. If he wasn't sticking around he would have let Nill know and he probably wouldn't have left is all.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
But what about Blashill? :/

My sentiments exactly. Going with Babcock and letting Blashill walk is a mistake. I love Babcock and I think he is one of, if not the best coaches in the league, but his time with this team is winding down whether we like it or not. I can't shake this nagging feeling that we're going to be panicking in 3-4 years because Babcock wants out and we no longer have Blashill. If Holland is going to hitch his horse to Babs it sure as heck better be for the next decade.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Yeah I think he has to ink at least three years.

Guess tomorrow is when the Wings announce Holland has a five year deal? Remember Babcock even saying he knows the Wings have to do Holland before him then they can sit down. Maybe they won't announce these during the playoffs or something, but for Holland to be plotting forward must mean his contract situation has evolved.

That or very interestingly could Babcock be getting some other title in this go round with Holland's title changing. Maybe Babcock would get more say in terms of the NHL side though I think he has a considerable amount. Just wondering if that is the hold up on Holland, kind of expected that to be done and announced. If he wasn't sticking around he would have let Nill know and he probably wouldn't have left is all.
Lets hope it is something like old kenny moving on up, as is Babs to GM and Blashill moves on to coach?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lets hope it is something like old kenny moving on up, as is Babs to GM and Blashill moves on to coach?

I don't hope for this at all. Fine with Blashill taking over as coach if Babcock won't ink a long enough contract. You have the idea of a new voice in the room and some other things that could change the team. The idea that Babcock would be an upgrade over Holland at GM is pretty bad though. No thanks, there isn't a single available GM I would take over Holland even if his job execution is down over the last couple years in terms of the NHL product.

Still need a better option if we are going to try and push Holland out and up. Certainly I want one better than untested Babs in charge of that role. They can grow his say if they want, but he shouldn't have the power Holland does in this organization.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I don't hope for this at all. Fine with Blashill taking over as coach if Babcock won't ink a long enough contract. You have the idea of a new voice in the room and some other things that could change the team. The idea that Babcock would be an upgrade over Holland at GM is pretty bad though. No thanks, there isn't a single available GM I would take over Holland even if his job execution is down over the last couple years in terms of the NHL product.

Still need a better option if we are going to try and push Holland out and up. Certainly I want one better than untested Babs in charge of that role. They can grow his say if they want, but he shouldn't have the power Holland does in this organization.
I did not say he would take Kenny place! just that they both move up. Like Kenny teaching him in mentoring way if you will. Nill is gone not coming back, Steve y is not coming back to do it. Why not put Babs in that roll if he wants? Have him learn from what has to be considered one of the best in the league.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
I did not say he would take Kenny place! just that they both move up. Like Kenny teaching him in mentoring way if you will. Nill is gone not coming back, Steve y is not coming back to do it. Why not put Babs in that roll if he wants? Have him learn from what has to be considered one of the best in the league.

I don't really think Babcock is a GM/Management type in my opinion. Not that he isn't smart enough to do well in that role or that he couldn't be a great evaluator of talent in putting a team together, but moreso that he is more of an X's and O's guy and enjoys teaching the game more than anything. I think Babcock had as much fun coaching this year as he has any of his years here with all of the young players he got to work with.

Which is why I think the rumors about him being next in line at UofM are very likely true, especially with the Wings, now, doing everything they can to keep Blashill in the organization and Babcock being so open to playing it year by year waiting for Red to retire.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Didn't know where to put this, but it looks like the Wings are keeping Blashill for 2 or so more years in exchange for paying him like a head coach.

from http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/05/red_wings_expect_to_sign_griff.html

Thank you for posting this Guru. I was starting to worry, but I'd like nothing more than to keep the status quo for a couple more years.

Also, I'm not sure what makes people so sure Babcock is even interested in sharing GM responsibilities. Having a healthy say in personnel decisions is one thing, but giving him much more leeway than he already has would be flirting with disaster. After all, the guy is at least partially responsible for a couple of the team's most recent blunders (Cleary, Sammy and Tootoo come to mind).

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
But what about Blashill? :/

He's an unknown quality at the NHL level being compared to one of the best coaches of the modern era.

Perspective.

My sentiments exactly. Going with Babcock and letting Blashill walk is a mistake. I love Babcock and I think he is one of, if not the best coaches in the league, but his time with this team is winding down whether we like it or not. I can't shake this nagging feeling that we're going to be panicking in 3-4 years because Babcock wants out and we no longer have Blashill. If Holland is going to hitch his horse to Babs it sure as heck better be for the next decade.

Babcock has not shown any indication he wants out (but if he does, he likely won't sign an extension). Nor is he the type of coach to "give up and go away" because a team isn't doing well. He's the sort of guy that would take that as a challenge to improve himself and the team to win.

Which is why I think the rumors about him being next in line at UofM are very likely true, especially with the Wings, now, doing everything they can to keep Blashill in the organization and Babcock being so open to playing it year by year waiting for Red to retire.

Or maybe they just want to keep Blashill in the org because they like the job he's doing in GR. Part of this is also probably Kenny's obvious vindictiveness at this point of having "his people" constantly poached the last handful of years. He's not going to get the team compensated, he's not going to allow discussions.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm really surprised by this. The pay differential is huge from AHL to NHL gig.

Seems pretty clear cut Detroit will either have Blashill or Babcock as coach for the foreseeable future. Doesn't even sound like they are looking at other options.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Seems pretty clear cut Detroit will either have Blashill or Babcock as coach for the foreseeable future. Doesn't even sound like they are looking at other options.

And they're willing to spend the money to make it happen. I think it's about time they start using this to their advantage. At some point, you just can't spend more on the players but there's no cap on the guys behind the bench, in the front office, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad