Rumor: Babcock linked to Pens rumors

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
All the Pittsburgh media is talking and tweeting how Babcock is saying that he wants to coach Pittsburgh, and are also saying he is using it as leverage against the Wings. I don't buy it for one second but figured I would see how everyone else feels.

On my phone but will try to edit to add the tweets and links when I can.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Source for anything that says that Babcock said he wants to coach in Pittsburgh, please?

It's all baseless speculation.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'm not totally convinced but i think he would be interested to coach there. lot of smoke around babs future with DRW.. maybe too much without the fire.

that said, want to see it coming out from someone more legit.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Pittsburgh radio isn't known for it's legitimacy; I listen to it quite a bit and like all talk radio it's mostly just that - a bunch of guys speculating.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Source for anything that says that Babcock said he wants to coach in Pittsburgh, please?

It's all baseless speculation.

It's really just a bunch of over speculation by Pittsburgh media. There are no quotes from Babcock because everyone knows he isn't going anywhere this upcoming season and has even hinted at wanting to stick around the organization. Despite what everyone tries to say about "Detroit in shambles, he will want to leave" he said in his last interview he likes the area and doesn't want to up root his family.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
Kahn's responses to people asking on Twitter:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1h
He indicated after season he's not signing extension, leaving options open for both sides after 2014-15.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1h
Has one year left on contract, so I'd expect him to be here next season. After that, who knows?

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I don't understand this at all. Babcock has another year left so would Pitt just hire some interm guy until Babcock contract is up.

That doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do. Wouldn't it make more sense to find a guy to make a stable environment now.

Or is the media implying that they will stay the same this year and make a move next year?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't understand this at all. Babcock has another year left so would Pitt just hire some interm guy until Babcock contract is up.

That doesn't sound like the smartest thing to do. Wouldn't it make more sense to find a guy to make a stable environment now.

Or is the media implying that they will stay the same this year and make a move next year?

Does NHL allow the trading of coaches like MLB or NFL?

Pens could always trade for Babcock and then extend him ,, Wings could get a nice haul for him

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

Pens could always trade for Babcock and then extend him ,, Wings could get a nice haul for him

I'm pretty sure the CBA doesn't allow for trading of coaches, sadly.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

As of now I don't think they can, but its something they'll probably discuss at GM meetings.

Holland has been pushing for compensation for other teams signing front office people for the last couple years.

Bylsma still has time left on his contract so they'll probably just keep him another year claiming their new GM wants to see what he has in him while they wait and see what happens with Babcock.

There will be no shortage of suitors for Babcock when he does become available

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I could have created this speculation all by myself.

Perhaps the best coach in the league wants to coach the league's superstar. OMG!!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He'd be good in Pittsburgh, in truth. But he'd play guys like Brooks Orpik wayyyyyyy too much.

He'd also play Crosby and Malkin probably 4-5 minutes less per game and their point totals will drop pretty hard. Can they even win if those two play fewer minutes?

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I am quite curious to see where he ends up. I feel like a bunch of teams are going to get rid of their coaches next season in hopes to win the Babcock sweepstakes.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Nah ,, I like Q better then Babcock (I am in minority I expect on that)

Always liked Q with Blues and have been very happy with Q era in Chicago (And hopefully success continues)

yeah, was kidding anyway.

coach Q was good with the avs too, just didn't have the roster. and was right about the direction avs were heading (not good).

obviously you should be happy with him. though your board (well some of them) seems to want him fired after every 2+ game losing streak.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
yeah, was kidding anyway.

coach Q was good with the avs too, just didn't have the roster. and was right about the direction avs were heading (not good).

obviously you should be happy with him. though your board (well some of them) seems to want him fired after every 2+ game losing streak.

Both Babcock and Q have that obsession with vets who cant cut it anymore but still findthemselves in top 6 role

Handzus is nearly done (Still can PK) is Q's version of Cleary

Its understandable that Q would have some extra loyalty to Zus given there time in Stl and his respect for him but man was it awful watching Kane play with Handzus as his C most of year

Some Hawk fans have never embraced Q ,, Like to use usual arguments (ANyone could win with this team) to bash him. Alot of them are fans of guys like Pirri or are left over Tallon supporters who dont like the fact Q was basically a Bowman hire and put in place by Hawks president John McDonaugh and Scotty Bowman

Other people just hate his constant line juggling and things like Sharp being moved to wing permantly after 2010 cup (Sharp was #2C that year and effective in role)

Funny how a guy like Ditka is universally loved in Chicago despite his Bears underachieving and a guy like Q with 2 cups in 4 years still has to win over some people

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad