Post-Game Talk: Babcock and "Gud Pros" let Leafs down AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He knows what he's doing, but I give the coaching much less credit for the success of this season. We did largely because we are talented. The coaching made lots of boneheaded decisions this season. Could have cost us home ice because Babs was too stubborn to move Komarov off the Kadri line when it was obvious it was no longer working. Once he was removed and Marner put there instead we instantly took off.

just because a team is talented doesn't mean they don't need (or have) good coaching.
this argument never makes sense to me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
To be fair... its not an 18 wheeler. Its just a Ford F 350 with a huge towload.

Derailed... but not as catatrophic...

Its just a reality check of the rebuild in 2 years, rather than miracle worker Babcock in two years. Who i believe even convinced some here that Leo on the first line would drive the offense.

:laugh:

2019 rebuild continues -
Hyman, Marner, Dermott, AJ and Kap prove they can hang in the playoffs...

Lets have a good look at Nylander... he has a houdini Act going on.

Lets Make sure Matthews can up his play.
Reilly and Gards have to improve...

Other than Kadri the rest of the team can leave or be moved.

Agreed, I am sure it will all work out but this is a great measure. We needed this if it weren't the case it wouldn't go down like this in the first place.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
It’s actually very worrisome that these people are part of society.

All Babcock has done is bring a joke of a team just 3 years ago to the playoffs 2 straight seasons

Do people realize that there are 30 teams that will not win the Stanley Cup, many of them that have failed many more times than the Leafs.

Seriously it’s been 2 years that this team has been good, if anything, Babcock has done too well. Now all these spolied brats expect us to be Stanley Cup champs with a core of 24 year olds and younger.

Hilarious

Lol it's been almost a decade since Babcock has been out of the second round... Babcock is a good coach but i'm not going to crown him the Lord of all coaches because he was able to win a Stanley Cup 10 years ago.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing Grundstrom replacing Brown. I don't understand how Brown gets away with little or no criticism around here. He has been complete trash.

Martin for Komo
Grunny for Brown

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol it's been almost a decade since Babcock has been out of the second round... Babcock is a good coach but i'm not going to crown him the Lord of all coaches because he was able to win a Stanley Cup 10 years ago.

Valid point. He did win on the world stage with loaded up TCs though. Gotta give props for that.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
So let me counter the propaganda of the Babcock Defense League™.

Who is the person that:

1) Keeps Plekanec in the lineup despite the fact that it clearly isn't working?
2) Gives Hainsey premium minutes when it is quite clear he is gassed?
3) Keeps playing the passive box PK system when it obviously isn't working against Bawston?
4) Refuses to stack lines or the PP when clearly behind?
5) Is obsessed with line matching so much that it causes confusion, penalties, and prime scoring chances for the Broons?
6) Watches Zaitsev, Polak, and Reilly repeatedly suck while Dermott gets third pair minutes?
7) Keeps a GUD PRO® VET on every line?
8) Watches his team get intimidated repeatedly yet won't bring in Matt Martin?

Oh. One more thing. I have been watching various forms of sports for over 40 years. This team appears to have the look of a team who have tuned out their coach. Seen it a lot. Between him and Lou Lam's "Be professional" rules (i.e. no beards during the regular season), there's no fun in it for them. This are a group of young guys and this can tend to be grating. I'm almost to the point of thinking that Willie N doesn't want to play here. Almost.

Flame away!

I agree man. I kept mentioning how the Leo roster moves were like the icing on the cake for Matthews and Nylander... like really?!?! KOMOROV? IT DOESnt inspire confidence, then the line Matching keeps everykne worrying abiut too many things.

Hope the dissention isnt that bad...

Reactions: ToMaLe

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Either am I

I don’t care one way or the other about Babcock, but the fact remains you can’t hang these loses on him. They have simply been outplayed.

Boston has gotten a lot of breaks, but the Leafs d is being exposed. That’s a personnel issue not a coaching issue. I doubt he is telling Hainsey and Zaitsev to stand right beside guys and pretend they are not there.

People just like to pretend how much they know about hockey.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's done wayyyy too well. we won 2 playoff games last year and now we're right back in the playoffs again. no other team has this kind of success

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
There are showing a clip of Laine where he's fighting back the Wilds. Checking, slashing and just battling front of the net

Kids got some fire under belly. Good for him
Even Ehlers, looks so determined

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I can't believe I am saying this, but I want to see Martin back in this lineup.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Johnsson
JVR - Bozak - Kapanen
Martin - Plek - Brown

Marner - Matthews could be spicy. Johnsson looked good out there. Mearleau isn't a viable C anymore. Brown needs less icetime. The bottom line could play 4-5 mins.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This reminds me earily of the late 70's Leafs, (1976) an up and coming young team with a great core, going up against a strong flyers team that just dominated in Philly for the first 2 games. A brawl filled series that saw the Leafs adjust back in Toronto and take both home dates. Splitting the next two, it came down to a game 7. We lost, philly went on to play Montreal in the finals. We came back and gave a good series. What I am saying, is this isn't over. Not at all.

Yeah coming home is going to be a different animal, but it's extremely discouraging to see the Leafs are capable of Game 1 and 2.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Valid point. He did win on the world stage with loaded up TCs though. Gotta give props for that.

Give him superior talent and he wins. Most coaches do.

It’s fair to evaluate his contributions in this series.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I want people to have some perspective before we start turning on this team, calling it the proverbial 18 wheeler

CORE GUYS:
Matthews - 20 years old - 8 career playoff games
Marner - 20 years old - 8 career playoff games
Nylander - 21 years old - 8 career playoff games
Kapanen- 21 years old - 8 career playoff games
Brown - 23 years old - 8 career playoff games
Rielly - 24 years old - 8 career playoff games.
Hyman - 25 years old - 8 career playoff games

additional core:

Dermott - 20 years old - 2 career playoff games
Johnsson - 22 years old - 2 career playoff games

And there's still young guys like Grundstrom and Liljegren who are going to make the team in the next few years.

It's kind of the opposite for Boston, aside from Pasta and McAvoy, their main guys are veterans who have won a cup, been to finals, and/or had long runs (Marchand, Bergeren, Krug, Krejci, Chara).

Our core guys leadings are still learning; it's unfortunate that inexperience is showing, but thats the painful shortcomings of a team who is led by 20 year olds who have played 8 playoff games or less. Even the vets lack experience, aside from Marleau, Hainsay, Andersen, Plekanec and Polak) no NHL vet has been the 2nd round (JVR did it too but that was like 10 years ago). Compared to Bruins who had 10 in their lineup; majority who are the go to guys. But luckily these 2 games have been a learning experience for them, hopefully they learn fast and come up with a better effort and result for game 3.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would say that's pretty good considering our team and the fact we were #1 overall 2 years ago.
who was the coach of our team when we finished dead last?
then suddenly things got better when we added Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Andersen, Zaitsev, etc. Quite amazing really

Reactions: dsred

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You are ignoring the genesis of the problem.
We have gotten absolutely embarrassed and just a couple of players have shown any pride, and just a couple of players have played to any kind of standard. The whole lineup have been dreadful, and you argue that they should avoid almost all blame because the coach played the wrong player in the wrong spot, even though he wasn't the one victimized?

That's absurd.

Babcock being the plug that he is decides 7 goal Komarov is good enough for the first pp
Yeah. Babcock being the plug that he is, decided to keep together a PP that have converted at over 40%, one of the best stretches of PP hockey in years.

Of course, he should have burned it to the ground. If not for Komarov, they would have had 80% eh?

double shifting JVR on the PP
Which is exactly what he's done. Perhaps you should pay attention.

THEN we could criticize the players more, but I don't see any reason why 2nd year players who aren't making brutal mistakes should be the focus of criticism when you have a guy who has won the cup making THE most ELEMENTARY mistakes in his lineups.
You should learn what elementary means, because it's not what you think. If Babcock forgot to play left wingers in his lineup, that would be an elementary mistake. If he put the goaltender at center and the PP coach in goal, that would be elementary mistakes.

And who said it's just about the second year players? The whole team shares the blame, including the coach, as the whole team has performed so bad that they are the laughing stock of the league right now. Their play has been absolutely dreadful, and absolutely chock full of brutal mistakes.

None of that is on anybody but themselves. Just like Babcock's mistakes are on nobody but himself. You are going to some ridiculous lengths here to exonerate them from any responsibility.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I want people to have some perspective before we start turning on this team, calling it the proverbial 18 wheeler

CORE GUYS:
Matthews - 20 years old - 8 career playoff games
Marner - 20 years old - 8 career playoff games
Nylander - 21 years old - 8 career playoff games
Kapanen- 21 years old - 8 career playoff games
Brown - 23 years old - 8 career playoff games
Rielly - 24 years old - 8 career playoff games.
Hyman - 25 years old - 8 career playoff games

additional core:

Dermott - 20 years old - 2 career playoff games
Johnsson - 22 years old - 2 career playoff games

And there's still young guys like Grundstrom and Liljegren who are going to make the team in the next few years.

It's kind of the opposite for Boston, aside from Pasta and McAvoy, their main guys are veterans who have won a cup, been to finals, and/or had long runs (Marchand, Bergeren, Krug, Krejci, Chara).

Our core guys leadings are still learning; it's unfortunate that inexperience is showing, but thats the painful shortcomings of a team who is led by 20 year olds who have played 8 playoff games or less. Even the vets lack experience, aside from Marleau, Hainsay, Andersen, Plekanec and Polak) no NHL vet has been the 2nd round (JVR did it too but that was like 10 years ago). Compared to Bruins who had 10 in their lineup; majority who are the go to guys. But luckily these 2 games have been a learning experience for them, hopefully they learn fast and come up with a better effort and result for game 3.

Well, it looks like this may not be the right mix. There is no Marchand, Bergeron, or Charra in your list.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
His decision to ride Hainsey into the ground is costing us right now. He thinks that Polak is some great penalty killer, he is a pylon. Does absolutely nothin. Komarov is slow and awful yet Babs thinks he is great and can play in all situations. The players have played poorly as a whole, but Babcock also makes some interesting decisions.

well outside of those guys you mentioned and kapanen and johnsson, we don't have anyone else who can play the PK. I don't want Matthews or Marner out there killing penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad