Awesome Auston Discussion thread

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’ve got no issue with Matthews sitting out for an extended period. Would rather him sit out a month and be at 100% than play through a lingering injury and risk making it worse.

Also, if he’s just going to be playing between Hyman and Brown anyway he may as well sit out.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I’ve got no issue with Matthews sitting out for an extended period. Would rather him sit out a month and be at 100% than play through a lingering injury and risk making it worse.

Also, if he’s just going to be playing between Hyman and Brown anyway he may as well sit out.
Gotta get that 2nd paragraph in there lol
Like some well written political attack ad.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I really don’t ubderstand babcock and injuries. In the post game he said he thought Matthews would play today and expects him Tuesday. Is he hurt or not? Is he just not playing through things that most do or is babs out to lunch

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I really don’t ubderstand babcock and injuries. In the post game he said he thought Matthews would play today and expects him Tuesday. Is he hurt or not? Is he just not playing through things that most do or is babs out to lunch

I think what he meant was Matthews could have gone today but they took precautions since it was a back-to-back scenario.

They'll give him the extra rest and bring him back on Tuesday (most likely).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Agree 100%. He has been nowhere near the player he was since getting injured. I want back the old Matthews, I don't care how long I have to wait and the more games he plays at below par, the more I start to worry if he'll recover fully at all before next season.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
He can sit out tomorrow's game but he had better be in the lineup on Thursday! I have prime tickets to the Minnesota game and will be travelling quite a distance to get there. Seriously though, I don't think that he's hurt that badly. I think that he got the wind knocked out of him and jammed his wrist as well. Get well soon Auston..

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
He can sit out tomorrow's game but he had better be in the lineup on Thursday! I have prime tickets to the Minnesota game and will be travelling quite a distance to get there. Seriously though, I don't think that he's hurt that badly. I think that he got the wind knocked out of him and jammed his wrist as well. Get well soon Auston..

Speaking of which, I feel for anyone who shelled out big bucks to watch what they thought would be McDavid-Matthews last night. Not a big deal if you are a season ticket holder, but for those of us who only go to one game a year, it’s unfortunate.

But I’m in the “let him rest until he’s fully ready” camp.

Reactions: Optomist

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Well what you need to understand is that Babcock doesn't make the call on who plays after injury, it's the medical team who makes that call.

So Babcock is basically saying he thinks he's good to go but the medical team obivously decided the healthier decision was to sit him out for that game and reassess at the next game.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
All the talk has the injury being a concussion. Touchy subject with our star player. No way of knowing if this is true but what does that mean potentially?

Short term 1-5 games %?
Long term 6-10 games %?
No time line 11+ games %?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
All the talk has the injury being a concussion. Touchy subject with our star player. No way of knowing if this is true but what does that mean potentially?

Short term 1-5 games %?
Long term 6-10 games %?

Well if it was a concussion he would be in the protocol. Babcock said he expects next fame

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Short term 1-5 games %?
Long term 6-10 games %?

All of what talk? First I’ve heard concussion

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Agree 100%. He has been nowhere near the player he was since getting injured. I want back the old Matthews, I don't care how long I have to wait and the more games he plays at below par, the more I start to worry if he'll recover fully at all before next season.

It's been around 6 weeks since his injury..( back ..leg ? )
There doesn't seem to be any improvement.....and that is worrisome.
He is no where close to what he was.......oy!
I wouldn't be upset if they shut him down ....anything to see him healthy again..
(I'm not talking about his latest injury..concussion or not).

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Matthews shots heat map

shot-heat-map.png

Laine shots heat map
shot-heat-map.png

Mcdavid shots heat map
shot-heat-map.png

Crosby shots heat map
shot-heat-map.png

Ovi shots heat map
shot-heat-map.png

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Sorry I don't have a link but "concussion" was mentioned by various Leafs insiders on TSN radio today. The Leafs have not stated the nature of the injury so we can only guess.

Yes, Concussion has been speculated in a few reports.

E.g.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Sorry I don't have a link but "concussion" was mentioned by various Leafs insiders on TSN radio today. The Leafs have not stated the nature of the injury so we can only guess.
They were just spitballing though. They don't know. On overdrive they even said they don't know. Fear mongering I think.
When Matthews skated back to the bench he was favoring his left arm I think it was and that was the main point of contact. It could be a concussion but I think it's his arm :dunno:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The media is click bait ... lets trade Willie, lets trade Mitch, Auston is concussed, auston is going to make more than mcdavid, etc

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Best bet is the back, he's had issues with it in Switzerland and it lines up with what I'm seeing from him on the ice. Head's there, hands are still there, but the strength on the stick and shot quickness is gone. Makes sense if he's having a hard time bending/twisting.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Best bet is the back, he's had issues with it in Switzerland and it lines up with what I'm seeing from him on the ice. Head's there, hands are still there, but the strength on the stick and shot quickness is gone. Makes sense if he's having a hard time bending/twisting.

He got injured like October of 2015 and missed 6 games and came back and dominated. There is no point in suggesting it is a recurrent problem at all. He played the Swiss league. WJC. WCH. WHC and then over 100 nhl games since the original injury. That doesnt sounds like the same injury.

It could be oblique. Abdominal shoulder rib cartilage. He also played pretty well in multiple games after. He did appear to be begging off shots last week but that could wrist too. We will see. Either way there are 3 major 4-5 day off stretches in dec Jan so hopefully he will be ok.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013

Seems to me that his skating is fine but he's mishandling the puck and is passing off rather than shooting like he normally does.
Would that be his back or arm?

We need a sports injury guy here to tell us what to look for.....

And we want to know....at least I do..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad