Awesome Auston Discussion thread

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Old thread is getting fairly large, so we might as well start a new one.

Last year after 20 games Matthews had 8 goals 8 assists 16 points and this year he has 12-10-22 points so he is ahead of last year's pace.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Still getting his legs back under him after coming back from injury. I predict he goes on a huge tear after another 2-3 games of struggling.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He was a beast in 3rd period against the Caps, I hope he is going to be even better against Calgary

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
looked really good back with Hyman and Brown could see Babs rolling that one out again for a while until Willy gets his "compete" level back up

Reactions: saffronleaf

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
23 points in 21 games. If he hits a hot spot at some point in the season (or you know, his line mates get hot while he racks up the assists), 90-100 points is still attainable although with 5 missed games 90 points alone is nice to think about.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Barkov seems to like him.

"Which current NHL-er's skills do you admire the most?

BARKOV: Right now, probably Auston Matthews. I don't think I've played against any better player than him. He is so good. It was tough to stay with him [on Wednesday]. It's tough to believe how good he's going to be later. He impressed me a lot yesterday. I knew before he was that good, but I didn't know he was THAT good. It's nice to play against good players and learn from them."

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

BARKOV: Right now, probably Auston Matthews. I don't think I've played against any better player than him. He is so good. It was tough to stay with him [on Wednesday]. It's tough to believe how good he's going to be later. He impressed me a lot yesterday. I knew before he was that good, but I didn't know he was THAT good. It's nice to play against good players and learn from them."

wow that's high praise.

yet on the main boards I was told 31 out of 31 GM's would 100% take barkov and not think twice out of the 2

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Great praise from probably the first U-23 center I would take after McDavid and Matthews. Him and Eichel are a close battle, but at the moment I'll take Barkov's more steady and dependable game over Jack's dynamic one, once you factor in the downsides which is injuries for Barkov and inconsistency of effort from Eichel, although, its basically a 51% (Barkov)/49% (Eichel).

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Getting that compliment from Barkov is impressive considering how good defensively Barkov is.

I think it also shows how much Barkov respects Matthews all around game to make a statement that big.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Still getting his legs back under him after coming back from injury. I predict he goes on a huge tear after another 2-3 games of struggling.

I hope this is true. I find that whenever a star comes back after some absence then the team in general takes a step backwards.
I hope that is done now and they are all ready to go again now.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I hope this is true. I find that whenever a star comes back after some absence then the team in general takes a step backwards.
I hope that is done now and they are all ready to go again now.
He's already showed signs. Predicting a big game against Calgary and he starts looking crazy dominant from there.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Took auston 2nd overall in fantasy ahead of crosby.

One criticism.. is that he forces the play forward almost always.. think if he could slow the game down a bit when opportunity strikes a la kane or datsyuk he would be more unstoppable than he already is

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Do you guys think he can crawl back into the scoring race?

I don't see why not. All it takes is like back to back games where he generates his usual number of chances and they go in/come up as assists and he goes from 23 in 21 to 29 in 23, which is one back of McDavid despite the missed games. He'd be top 3 without the injury.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't see why not. All it takes is like back to back games where he generates his usual number of chances and they go in/come up as assists and he goes from 23 in 21 to 29 in 23, which is one back of McDavid despite the missed games. He'd be top 3 without the injury.
Exactly. We've all seen how Matthews can put up goals in bunches like all great goal scorers do. Watch him get a couple garbage goals and proceed to go on an absolute tear.

Reactions: Apotheosis

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
23 points in 21 games. If he hits a hot spot at some point in the season (or you know, his line mates get hot while he racks up the assists), 90-100 points is still attainable although with 5 missed games 90 points alone is nice to think about.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but if he's at or just around PPG by the end of the year that will as or more impressive than anyone who ends up with more points just due to how Babcock uses him.

Reactions: Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->