Awesome Auston Discussion thread

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think there's less involvement between the coach and the training staff than you may think. At least when it comes to details of nagging bumps and bruises or things like backs that are ambiguous.

The coach is focused on maximizing what he has available to him. If it's an injury like say Polak last year, Babs will get a report that Polak broke his leg and he's out x months. Babs gets that. A broken leg in Saskatchewan is the same as a broken leg here

But the injury to Matthews is a little more vague. So Babs will ask the training staff is Matty good to go tonight, training staff says he's got some general soreness, so we'll see late this afternoon. In Babcock's mind, you don't miss games because of soreness, guys are always sore, so he should be available. But the training staff later says no, were shutting him down tonight. So then when Babs gets asked can the player go next game, in his mind he's thinking, he was ready to go last game, but wasn't allowed, so yeah, he should be ready next game. Unless he's told otherwise.

that's how i see it. (actually i think for the most part that's how a tonne of coaches see it). you seee it at work all the time. if you have the sniffles, you go to work, you suck it up, if you look/feel like death warmed over and you need to be in bed, you take the sick day. you don't take the sick day due to the sniffles,

in hockey (sports) "soreness" is the sniffles. you're expected to play with it.

i just hope whatever it is he gets better soon.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
On a side note, in a piece, for The Athletic about Columbus taking PLD over Puljujarvi, Portzline (a strongly connected guy in Columbus) revealed that their draft board was Matthews, Laine, and PLD. Not a shocker, but cool to see other teams lists.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes if he disclosed it to the Dr he would be going through the return to play protocol. He missed the Sunday game did not participate in morning practice....

Let’s see how this plays out. If he misses a couple of more games and skates we may have our answer. Hope it is a stiff shoulder or something.

I agree we have to just wait it out. I guess I am just extrapolating that it couldn’t be a concussion as he would have to be in the protocol Isn’t it Like:

Rest until no symptoms. Then.
1) light bike. Wait 24 hrs
2.) moderate workout
3.) skate
4.) practice
Wait 24 hrs then play?

That would have made it impossible for him to be potentially able to play tonight and now with no skate probably not this week. It can’t be a concussion then unless babs is just totally lying

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
On a side note, in a piece, for The Athletic about Columbus taking PLD over Puljujarvi, Portzline (a strongly connected guy in Columbus) revealed that their draft board was Matthews, Laine, and PLD. Not a shocker, but cool to see other teams lists.

PLD is looking great lately too. Big minutes and is starting to put up points. Still only 19 as well for this season. No doubt in my mind CLB made the right decision taking PLD over Puljujarvi.

Everyone thought CLB was taking puljujarvi because he was a Fin like their gm, but he obviously knew Puljujarvi was overhyped.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It looked like he was a little dazed, but let's hope it wasn't a concussion because that looked like a bit of a minor bump to the chin.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
After the bump with Rielly, Matthews played his next shift. i don't think it is a concussion issue. More likely a shoulder/back issue.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Look at his reaction post-hit. Nice positioning Rielly, you F***.

God speed Matthews take your time.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I hate how they don’t disclose injuries actually the worst. You don’t know if Matthews is dealing with a bug or a concussion for example but he looked horrible the past couple games

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's stressful not knowing anything about your franchise player's health status. It would be one thing if you knew he was out 3 weeks, but day to day, not available, it's worrisome.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's stressful not knowing anything about your franchise player's health status. It would be one thing if you knew he was out 3 weeks, but day to day, not available, it's worrisome.

really? so if they said 3 weeks you would worry less than day to day?. It is not worrisome at all keep him out as long as it takes. I get you (and we) want to know exactly but we never will, not with Lou at the helm. If every team decided right now 'we are disclosing injuries' Lou still wouldn't allow it, its worrying about something that we will never know. If we saw a leaf players arm cut blood all over the ice, Lou still wouldn't come out and say "he has a lacerated arm"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
really? so if they said 3 weeks you would worry less than day to day?. It is not worrisome at all keep him out as long as it takes. I get you (and we) want to know exactly but we never will, not with Lou at the helm. If every team decided right now 'we are disclosing injuries' Lou still wouldn't allow it, its worrying about something that we will never know. If we saw a leaf players arm cut blood all over the ice, Lou still wouldn't come out and say "he has a lacerated arm"

The unknown just creates uncertainty.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The unknown just creates uncertainty.

he will be fine man, its all good. And we are 5-1-0 without him. Get him 100% healthy and we see him back ready to dominate whether that's 3days, 3 weeks or 3 months. He will come back and this time no nagging injury and we will be all rejoicing

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Fact they'vealready announced he won't go Thursday means we may not see Matthews for a while. That isn't day to day in reality.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Most logical would be the Tuesday game. Failing that. Shut him down til the 28th. Too long and it takes a bunch of games to get back into it

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Most logical would be the Tuesday game. Failing that. Shut him down til the 28th. Too long and it takes a bunch of games to get back into it

Well, that's where the unknown is worrisome. Is it a Lemieux style back injury that will become chronic, a slew of Lupul style injuries, a recurring micro concussion? It's just not something you want to see with your brand new franchise player!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Travel and flying are bad for concussions right? I’m assuming it can’t be a concussion if he is on the road trip. There was no chance he could have played this week with one so I hope they wouldn’t have brought them

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Travel and flying are bad for concussions right? I’m assuming it can’t be a concussion if he is on the road trip. There was no chance he could have played this week with one so I hope they wouldn’t have brought them

I am a bit worried we have a player with a bad back. Back is a really really risky injury and certainly one team red flag when it comes to multi year contracts. I hope it's something really simple and easy to overcome or fix but when you hear back... cross the fingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->