Awesome Auston Discussion thread

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
So... 40 goals seems out of the picture now.

Honestly, I'd given up on things like scoring titles and individual accolades a long while ago, but damn I hope he has a reasonably decent year in what's left of the season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Anyone who thinks Auston is struggling or hasnt been good this season is simply wrong.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hopefully he gets 25+ goals this season. If he's in the top 100 in points that'd be nice, but doubtful at this point. I mean, not to burden the kid with high expectations, I guess whatever he can do is fine.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully he gets 25+ goals this season. If he's in the top 100 in points that'd be nice, but doubtful at this point. I mean, not to burden the kid with high expectations, I guess whatever he can do is fine.
He's currently 38th in the League in Points-per-Game (among players with more than 2 games played) - What are you worried about?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
he should be way higher than that considering how good he is
And he's very obviously had some rust on him since coming back from his injuries this year, and he's still one of the youngest players on that list.

I was also discussing with my dad last night that I can see Matthews being a Toews/Kopitar/Yzerman kind of player who sacrifices some offense for their well-rounded 200-foot game, which Matthews is already bringing at 20-years-old.

He's one of the best up-and-coming stars the League has to offer, and is capable of being a top scorer in the NHL - But he hasn't been flawless this year, and he's obviously still developing and was getting over some lingering issues earlier. There's absolutely no reason to worry about Matthews' production, as far as I'm concerned.

Matthews is also only 59th in the League in TOI/G among Forwards - He's not being utilized to compete with Stamkos and McDavid right now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And he's very obviously had some rust on him since coming back from his injuries this year, and he's still one of the youngest players on that list.

I was also discussing with my dad last night that I can see Matthews being a Toews/Kopitar/Yzerman kind of player who sacrifices some offense for their well-rounded 200-foot game, which Matthews is already bringing at 20-years-old.

He's one of the best up-and-coming stars the League has to offer, and is capable of being a top scorer in the NHL - But he hasn't been flawless this year, and he's obviously still developing and was getting over some lingering issues earlier. There's absolutely no reason to worry about Matthews' production, as far as I'm concerned.

Matthews is also only 59th in the League in TOI/G among Forwards - He's not being utilized to compete with Stamkos and McDavid right now.
Matthews is too good to be so under utilized. yeah the team matters more than him as an individual, but we're losing games partially because he's not being given enough of an opportunity to be the gamebreaker for us that he can be. his talent is higher than the results we're currently getting out of him.

I guess we'll see how he finishes the year though

Reactions: saffronleaf

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

This is my new favourite video on the internet. I want to turn it into a gif and set that gif as my desktop background. I want it to be the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see before I go to bed at night. I want it to be by my side forever.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Matthews is too good to be so under utilized. yeah the team matters more than him as an individual, but we're losing games partially because he's not being given enough of an opportunity to be the gamebreaker for us that he can be. his talent is higher than the results we're currently getting out of him.

I guess we'll see how he finishes the year though
He's leading our Forwards in TOI/G, and a big part of our team's early success was built around our ability to roll over teams with multiple strong lines - Not sure if we can expect Matthews to get much different usage anytime too soon (though I do agree with you that he has it in him to be a 20-minute-a-night workhorse).

There's a forest beyond all of the trees that people are complaining about this year - I'm willing to see how/if any of this affects our abilities to make the Playoffs, perform in the Playoffs, or Matthews' development into a veteran NHLer before I start to worry about where he sits on the list of Point Leaders.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

That is a pure waste of his talent. He has a higher offensive ceiling than Toews or Kopitar. Yzerman is a different case, but that also came with Detroit surrounding him thereafter with multiple elite talents and then he sacrificed. Matthews has Art Ross potential. He shouldn't be constantly depended on for a checking role and having less ice time than Komarov.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That is a pure waste of his talent. He has a higher offensive ceiling than Toews or Kopitar. Yzerman is a different case, but that also came with Detroit surrounding him thereafter with multiple elite talents and then he sacrificed. Matthews has Art Ross potential. He shouldn't be constantly depended on for a checking role and having less ice time than Komarov.
It would be interesting to hear Matthews' opinion on the bolded.

Matthews is surrounded by elite talent, it's just also very young talent that is still developing.

Matthews being trusted against some of the NHL's elite has been a treat to watch, and again, I'd love to hear Matthews' on thoughts about this - He's always struck me as someone who thrives on the pressure and the challenge.

Lastly, Matthews is 1st in Total TOI/G among our Forwards, and 1st in EV TOI/G among our Forwards - Why do people keep saying Komarov gets the more ice-time when this is blatantly false (4th in Total TOI/G and 8th in EV TOI/G)?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
imo, Matthews is a top 10 talent in the league. once he gets a real chance he'll prove it

Even strength minutes a game this season,
  • 17:01 Mcdavid
  • 16:25 Crosby
  • 16:20 Matthews
  • 15:55 Eichel
  • 15:39 Seguin
  • 15:09 Mackinnon
  • 15:08 Stamkos
  • 15:01 Tavares
  • 14:56 Bergeron
I dont think he has been given a chance either :rolleyes:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Now show powerplay stats.
Matthews has proven to be a top 10 ES player already in my opinion. Once he gets a chance on the pp he'll be top 10 overall

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So... 40 goals seems out of the picture now.

Honestly, I'd given up on things like scoring titles and individual accolades a long while ago, but damn I hope he has a reasonably decent year in what's left of the season.

Going in I sorta expected the same or a few fewer goals, and more assists.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Power play minutes a game this season (for the same players),

3:59 Crosby
3:47 MacKinnon
3:47 Stamkos
3:31 Eichel
3:19 Tavares
3:07 Bergeron
3:04 Seguin
2:59 McDavid

2:15 Matthews

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Power play minutes a game this season (for the same players),
3:59 Crosby
3:47 MacKinnon
3:47 Stamkos
3:31 Eichel
3:19 Tavares
3:07 Bergeron
3:04 Seguin
2:59 McDavid
2:15 Matthews

and you proved my point that Matthews plays the PP?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad