Awesome Auston Discussion thread

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
And he's very obviously had some rust on him since coming back from his injuries this year, and he's still one of the youngest players on that list.

I was also discussing with my dad last night that I can see Matthews being a Toews/Kopitar/Yzerman kind of player who sacrifices some offense for their well-rounded 200-foot game, which Matthews is already bringing at 20-years-old.

He's one of the best up-and-coming stars the League has to offer, and is capable of being a top scorer in the NHL - But he hasn't been flawless this year, and he's obviously still developing and was getting over some lingering issues earlier. There's absolutely no reason to worry about Matthews' production, as far as I'm concerned.

Matthews is also only 59th in the League in TOI/G among Forwards - He's not being utilized to compete with Stamkos and McDavid right now.

That's true, I guess. Datsyuk was easily one of the most talented players ever to play in the NHL, but Babcuck made sure that Datsyuk would never even come close to any distinctions that are scoring related. Completely stymied Datsyuk's creativity and passion for the game. That's Babcucks' way of doing things.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Just trying to set real expectations, we've all been down this road before with the Leafs and its players.

25g-20a-45p seems hopeful at this point.

You think Matthews scoring 6 more goals in the next 36 games is hopeful? whaaaaaaaaaat.

That's absurd, he could very well score 6 in the next 6 games.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Right. I shouldn't speak for him, but it's safe to assume he meant "more of a chance".

Once he gets more of a chance, as in plays on the first unit, or isn't 204th in the league in power play time per game.

Mcdavid averages "45" seconds more a game on the PP than Matthews...

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Whats your point? That's a shift more a game, and that least places him in the top 100 of pptoi/gp.

Also using a awful Oiler PP as an example isn't really helping. Whatever they're doing isn't working.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

That would be pretty huge. It's not just the raw time, either, it's when you get these opportunities.

We've had 5-on-3s where Matthews is on the bench until there's only 40 or so seconds left on the powerplay and limited time to get set up and have some real chances.

He should ideally be STARTING powerplays, which I think makes a significant difference. And of course he should be out there longer.

It's like saying, oh Matthews has decent OT ice time or whatever. Sure, maybe he does spend a couple minutes chasing for the puck after Hyman gives it up to the other team in the previous shift, but in addition to low ice time it's the stupid usage.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This started because cantloseguy said Matthews hasn't had the "chance" to prove he is a top 10 player in other peoples eyes.

I disagreed and say he has and I posted stats. You guys are telling me if he played a minute more a game on the PP, he would become great or something?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Compounding Matthews' lack of PP time is the Leafs' overall lack of power play opportunities. The team is in the NHL upper tier of goal scoring at 6th place. However, all the teams in that top 6 are positive in power play opportunities for than against except for the Leafs. That's extra wear and tear on Hainsey, Hyman, and Komarov, but also less feasting time for Nylander, Matthews, Marner, and JVR.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This started because cantloseguy said Matthews hasn't had the "chance" to prove he is a top 10 player in other peoples eyes.

I disagreed and say he has and I posted stats. You guys are telling me if he played a minute more a game on the PP, he would become great or something?

Yup, I think his ice time in even strength should be increased, he should be on the top starting PP unit and that unit should get more time, he should be taking critical faceoffs and he should be starting OT.

Combined, yes, I think those factors can make a big difference over an 82-game season. For the team and for him as an individual.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yup, I think his ice time in even strength should be increased, he should be on the top starting PP unit and that unit should get more time, he should be taking critical faceoffs and he should be starting OT.

Combined, yes, I think those factors can make a big difference over an 82-game season. For the team and for him as an individual.

He plays almost 2 minutes more at even strength than any other leaf forward ... He also plays as much as all the other elite centers in the league at even strength. Leafs are 28th in the league at PP opportunities, we dont get a lot of PP time.

He has take advantage of his PP and score, he has 2 goals and JVR has 7.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matthews' PP time is on par with the other forwards. The Leafs having two fairly effective units since the start of last season is a big reason why nothing has changed despite the recent slump. Besides last year and even the start of this season, the other PP unit was more effective IIRC.

Matthews is one of the best in the league at ES scoring anyway ... So he's producing fine at ES and the Leafs had been successful on the PP without the need for him to log big minutes.

Now should something change currently, given the slump of the PP in the last month or so? A shake up couldn't hurt I guess. But then again the PP will need more than one person to get going for it to get back on track.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I was checking some stats out, thought i would share, last 10 games.

pp1.jpg

pp2.jpg

Pens are 4th and we are 28th at PP opurtunities

Last edited:

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Compounding Matthews' lack of PP time is the Leafs' overall lack of power play opportunities. The team is in the NHL upper tier of goal scoring at 6th place. However, all the teams in that top 6 are positive in power play opportunities for than against except for the Leafs. That's extra wear and tear on Hainsey, Hyman, and Komarov, but also less feasting time for Nylander, Matthews, Marner, and JVR.

Hockey Gods better give us that playoff PP and we take round 1 in 6 games, because the refs have a heavier arm when they see that Blue and white maple leaf

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I remember those early Crosby vs Datsyuk debates where Wings fans talked about how if Datsyuk was in a different system he'd thrive and have 100++ points. I now understand what they mean.

But they aren't exactly wrong. We're talking about Datsyuk. The same guy who scored 97 points playing on a Babcock team as the best two way player in the league.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Matthews is so awesome, it's almost boring to talk about now. That's a good thing.

Boring? I guess if you aren't straining your ocular muscles rolling your eyes trying to talk about him on the main boards.

ESPN Article: Leafs should trade Matthews.
HF Boards (Anti-Leaf fans): Great article. Makes a lot of sense.

NHL.com Article: Compare Matthews to Ovechkin
HF Boards (Anti-Leaf fans): Ridiculous concept. I'm offended.

It seems that a Leaf being very good threatens the way some people enjoy hockey. Anti-Leafers need the Leafs, and every single player on the team, to be bad or they can't enjoy it.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
^^^
Trade Matthews? Oh no, he will retire a Leaf, after multiple Stanley Cups. I can post on the 'main board' if you like.

I'm not bothered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad