Awesome Auston Discussion thread

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Was a pretty bad first 40 minutes but he stepped up like superstars do when the team needs a lift.

Was just going over the EV strength goal leaders. The pace this guy scores at 5 on 5 is quite amazing especially for just a 2nd year player.

Matthews 17 ev strength goals (33 games)

Kucherov 23 ev strength goals (41 games)

Ovechkin 19 ev strength goals (41 games)

W Karlsson 18 ev strength goals (40 games)

S Couturier 17 ev strength goals (41 games)

Andres Lee 17 ev strength goals (42 games)

Brock Boeser 16 ev strength goals (38 games)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Was a pretty bad first 40 minutes but he stepped up like superstars do when the team needs a lift.

Was just going over the EV strength goal leaders. The pace this guy scores at 5 on 5 is quite amazing especially for just a 2nd year player.

Matthews 17 ev strength goals (33 games)

Kucherov 23 ev strength goals (41 games)

Ovechkin 19 ev strength goals (41 games)

W Karlsson 18 ev strength goals (40 games)

S Couturier 17 ev strength goals (41 games)

Andres Lee 17 ev strength goals (42 games)

Brock Boeser 16 ev strength goals (38 games)

Guess who leads the league in even strength goals since Mathews entered the league? Hint: this Leaf has 49...

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
yeah probably, especially on a stacked PP unit. He's the best goal scorer in the league in my opinion, and a top 5 ES player. it'll translate to the PP soon

That's precisely why I believe he will have 1 or more 100 point seasons at his peak. This team hasn't peaked anywhere near what it will be yet. There's vet dead weight, youth ready to come in, and I trust Hunter, so we're due for a big hit pick as well; in that time, plus the potential for more PP time for Matthews; he'll hit it. Marner with him would guarantee it given how good he is on the PP.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That's precisely why I believe he will have 1 or more 100 point seasons at his peak. This team hasn't peaked anywhere near what it will be yet. There's vet dead weight, youth ready to come in, and I trust Hunter, so we're due for a big hit pick as well; in that time, plus the potential for more PP time for Matthews; he'll hit it. Marner with him would guarantee it given how good he is on the PP.
yeah pretty reasonable expectation honestly, even if it sounds high he definitely has the potential. he's #6 in ES points since he stepped into the NHL, but unfortunately he doesn't feast off the powerplay like other guys get to. Matthews - JVR - Marner - Nylander - Rielly would be a good PP unit for him next year I think, and he should get ~4 minutes a game there

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
yeah pretty reasonable expectation honestly, even if it sounds high he definitely has the potential. he's #6 in ES points since he stepped into the NHL, but unfortunately he doesn't feast off the powerplay like other guys get to. Matthews - JVR - Marner - Nylander - Rielly would be a good PP unit for him next year I think, and he should get ~4 minutes a game there

I completely understand the idea behind splitting a power play, but it has also been proven the best power play year in and year out is always some stacked power play of a team's best players. Imagine the kind of damage the line-up you listed would do.

JVR in front of the net. Matthews and Nylander on opposite sides dropping low to control the puck. Rielly on one point and Marner on the other. JVR and Matthews would feast on the tipped passing from Marner and Marner would open up SO much space for Nylander on his side to move the puck.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I completely understand the idea behind splitting a power play, but it has also been proven the best power play year in and year out is always some stacked power play of a team's best players. Imagine the kind of damage the line-up you listed would do.

JVR in front of the net. Matthews and Nylander on opposite sides dropping low to control the puck. Rielly on one point and Marner on the other. JVR and Matthews would feast on the tipped passing from Marner and Marner would open up SO much space for Nylander on his side to move the puck.
it's no coincidence that the top 3 powerplays in the league are Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, and Tampa. All of them use 1 stacked unit. it really works, and we should go that route as well

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Guess who leads the league in even strength goals since Mathews entered the league? Hint: this Leaf has 49...

Auston Matthews not only has the most ES goals since coming in the league, but also the most 1st goal of the game (17), zero empty-netters, and has obviously played quite a bit fewer games most of the other names on the list. He is second in G/GP, ahead of Crosby, Ovechkin, Marchand, Laine, Tarasenko, Tavares, etc.

Nice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Auston Matthews not only has the most ES goals since coming in the league, but also the most 1st goal of the game (17), zero empty-netters, and has obviously played quite a bit fewer games most of the other names on the list. He is second in G/GP, ahead of Crosby, Ovechkin, Marchand, Laine, Tarasenko, Tavares, etc.

Nice.
his 40th goal of last season was an empty netter

Reactions: blueberrie

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The case for trading Auston Matthews

Just awful from ESPN, author made it seem like franchise centres grow on trees, also called Hyman an effective "top six player". Main argument is that trading Matthews for a large haul including a #1 D would make the Leafs better contenders and allow them to keep Bozak, JVR, Nylander and Marner long term. He clearly hasn't watched many games and considering he mentioned Arizona is probably a native from there.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I saw that title of the article and didn’t even give it the time of day.

This reminds me of an old article from halfway through 2013-2014 season, Bernier’s First year as a Leaf. It claimed that the Kings should have traded Quick instead, because Bernier was young and cheaper, plus they would have received a big haul of players/prospects/picks.

ESPN does not care hockey. Last summer they dismissed basically their entire hockey-related staff. So the people who remain either do not watch/follow hockey, or they do and they know how/who to troll for clicks.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If there's a player to use cap space on, Matthews is that player.

I understand the argument of trading scoring for defence, but the idea shouldn't be to take away the top option to achieve that.

That was pre-cap and Lindros wanted out. Quebec received an incredible return, but that's long past
and very rare.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
American media outlet thinks the leafs should trade the best US player in the NHL, im sure that is a very balanced argument in that article

And then they realize he gets traded to another Canadian team:laugh:
No need to talk about that though. Our franchise player is here with us for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad