Awesome Auston Discussion thread

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Thing is, he hasn't even gotten hot at all yet this season. 22 points in 20 games is normal Matthews minus a bit due to injury.

Also to note - his line mates having been Nylander who has 4 goals so far (one of which an EN) and Hyman who may not score 20 goals this season.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but if he's at or just around PPG by the end of the year that will as or more impressive than anyone who ends up with more points just due to how Babcock uses him.

Agreed, but take those games back and he likely finishes the season at 90-100 points guaranteed.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews has been dominant for most of the games he's played this season but I don't think that we have seen the best of him this season just yet. I feel like he's going to go on a ridiculous tear in 2018 as far as production.

It feels so good to have one of the games best players on the Leafs.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Lmao remember before the draft, other fans on HF said it would be smart to trade him for OEL, and that we’d have to add something as well?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Lmao remember before the draft, other fans on HF said it would be smart to trade him for OEL, and that we’d have to add something as well?

I got laughed at for saying that Arizona would be smart to try and package OEL, Domi, Strome, Dvorak and a 1st for Matthews because Matthews was going to be that good and would solidify the team in Arizona for management. I also said the Leafs would still say no.

I think Arizona would take this trade today in a heartbeat, possibly trying to sweeten the pot even more to try and pry Gards back the other way as a tempo replacement for OEL as they wait for another top line D to want to come and play with the Matthews show.

Would they be better than they are now? Not sure but they would be selling a helluva lot more tickets.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Have my babies Auston

how about you have Matthews babies, that way the rest of us can enjoy Matthews and you can raise his kids.

plus we all know from babcock players who have to feed their families work harder than other players so Matthews with family responsibilities will be such a better player than we have now

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think he's going to have a big month. He looks up to speed again and Babs has reunited him and Nylander.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Matthews was awesome against VAN.

Matthews showed last night Tanev really isnt that great as a shutdown D. Matthews had his way with him and had many high danger scoring opportunities. I would expect "the best shutdown d in the league" to at least limit his chances. It may have been a one off game but couple that with his injury history and the price vancouver would want. no thanks

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Matthews showed last night Tanev really isnt that great as a shutdown D. Matthews had his way with him and had many high danger scoring opportunities. I would expect "the best shutdown d in the league" to at least limit his chances. It may have been a one off game but couple that with his injury history and the price vancouver would want. no thanks

Never been a Tanev fan.
Especially not at the insane price he will cost.
Good player, really nothing more.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Why won't he offer sheet as 1/2 the league would be willing to pony up +12 mil a season easily in hopes of stealing him away?.

Leafs will not play hardball with Matthews .. They may however with Mitch and Willie offering them bridge deals or try and keep their contracts lowever.

Matthews is already likely considered a top 10 player in the NHL and will get rewarded for that as he is only scratching the surface of his abilities.

$10 million x 8 years is not playing hardball. It’s more than fair for someone coming off an ELC. Edmonton overpaid for McDavid and Draisaitl, and then Buffalo followed suit. Winnipeg doesn’t overpay for their players, and I’m confident neither will we. Lou will simply tell our youngsters that they will be paid competitively, but that the Leafs won’t be gouged.

Matthews won’t sign an offer sheet. The headache is not worth it. Hypothetically, if Matthews ever did sign an offer sheet elsewhere for $12 million after we initially offered him $10 million, the Leafs would then be forced to grudgingly match, and then Matthews would lose all goodwill with the fans and media. Then he’s stuck with being known as a greedy sob for the next 8 years, and only winning us a cup will cure that, and not before. No, Auston will know better than that.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
That's all well and good but, like it or not, comparables set market value, not sentiment. Right now Eichel is the lower bound, McDavid is the upper bound. He's most likely going to be in between somewhere.

And those contracts are sure doing Edmonton and Buffalo a whole lot of good right now. Our kids will have no choice but to get on board the Leafs’ salary structure because we will remain a competitive team. To follow Edmonton and Buffalo off the cliff by overpaying just because they did would be insane. There’s a reason Winnipeg is playing so well. Great contracts.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
And those contracts are sure doing Edmonton and Buffalo a whole lot of good right now. Our kids will have no choice but to get on board the Leafs’ salary structure because we will remain a competitive team. To follow Edmonton and Buffalo off the cliff by overpaying just because they did would be insane. There’s a reason Winnipeg is playing so well. Great contracts.

Edmonton and Buffalo giving those deals has absolutely no bearing on their respective positions this year. Neither deal even takes effect until next season. Draisaitl's deal did, but Edmonton still has like 10 million in open cap space right now.

Regarding Winnipeg, the biggest thing for them is that they locked up Scheifele long term before he really broke out and already had Wheeler on a pretty great deal from before. That said, Wheeler is getting a big raise in 2019 and Laine is gonna be paid too, so their cap issues will come like everyone else.

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Edmonton and Buffalo giving those deals has absolutely no bearing on their respective positions this year. Neither deal even takes effect until next season.

It indicates that having a player worth paying $10-12 million is no surefire sign of success. That you need money to build a team around them. Lou will be telling the youngsters that very message: learn from their mistakes.

Edmonton and Buffalo are not paying market value. If you look at the league as a whole, and what other teams have recently paid their superstars coming off ELCs, you’ll realize that Edmonton and Buffalo are not the norm. It’s not even that complicated. Just ask yourself what has Matthews (or Eichel) done to earn $10 million? Nothing. Same McDavid with $12.5 million. It’s simple logic- don’t pay someone more than you have to.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It indicates that having a player worth paying $10-12 million is no surefire sign of success. That you need money to build a team around them. Lou will be telling the youngsters that very message: learn from their mistakes.

Edmonton and Buffalo are not paying market value. If you look at the league as a whole, and what other teams have recently paid their superstars coming off ELCs, you’ll realize that Edmonton and Buffalo are not the norm. It’s not even that complicated. Just ask yourself what has Matthews (or Eichel) done to earn $10 million? Nothing. Same McDavid with $12.5 million. It’s simple logic- don’t pay someone more than you have to.

Eich did not earn his contract and McDavid can't carry the whole team just yet. Cap problems occur when you pay Draisaitl $8.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad