Awesome Auston Discussion thread

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think you're going to be disappointed when Matthews isn't signed for $10 mil per X 8. IMO

That seems more like what you want to happen and not really what will happen.

While all Leaf fans would love him locked up for a cheap as possible for as long as possible because that serves their own interest bests believing it makes the Leafs more Cup competitive, that doesn't take into account the market, comparables, the Cap ceiling and standard negotiating process of stars get a % of the Cap ceiling.

Players don't ask for a specific flat amount #, as their agents generally negotiate the amount based on a % of the overall team Salary Cap.

McDavid's agent negotiated a C.H.%
q.svg
: 16.67
(Cap hit percentage of Cap ceiling) & $12.5 mil AAV . If you follow this pattern and say Matthews C.H% = 15% then with a $80 mil cap ceiling = $12 mil per.

If you look at other Pat Brisson agents Crosby (C.H.%
q.svg
: 14.50) in 2012, Toews (C.H.%
q.svg
: 15.22), Kane (C.H.%
q.svg
: 15.22) in 2014 you can see how he operates and Lou Lam will not be going up against an unknown here but rather an agent who represents the best in the game on his client list.

His agent can ask for whatever he wants. It’s still the team that will be the ones handing out the cheques. I think you underestimate this is a two-sided negotiation, and the Leafs do have leverage. This isn’t a matter of Matthews’ agent saying “here, sign and gimme.”

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The other side of that is why are we insisting on 10 million instead of giving him the 11 million? 1 million probably isn't going to the difference between us winning or not winning a cup. He has an agent, if he's smart he listens to what he says, not just to what Lou tells him.

Marleau took every penny he could get from us. Why would we expect Matthews to take below market value? Remember that he is on pace to be the best player in franchise history. 11-11.5m is a fair price, if what he asks for is fair, you just pay the man his money, even if it isn't a bargain discount price. You just pay him and be glad he isn't asking for 12.5m.

Because Leafs should start negotiations at $9 million and settle for giving $10 million.

I think the Leafs wanted to pay Marleau $6 million. Or at least, the team didn’t mind overpaying. It’s a short term contract that doesn’t hurt the cap, and gives Marleau a sense of authority over the youngsters that maybe he has less of if he is only making $4 million. And he is 38, so he is not a comparable for the green youngsters to ask for double Marleau’s pay. Lou would say “when you are 38, we’ll overpay for you too.”

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
NYR offer sheet Matthews $15 mil per X 7 years max = $105 mil to steal him away, while Leafs offer him as you suggest $10 mil X 8 years max = $80 mil take it or leave it offer.

+$25 mil can buy a lot of aspirin for the headache to subside for Auston. ;)

Now I don't believe Matthews will force an offersheet on the Leafs because I believe they will negotiate in good faith and not play hard ball, and pay him what he deserves and that is going to be north of $10 mil and likely closer to McDavid contract. He will end up after the ink dries as a top 5 NHL salaried player.

PS. Leafs begrudgingly matching is how the CBA works for players/agents forcing teams to pay market value or lose the player for draft pick compensation if they don't match. Its business !!!!

Like it not other contracts have moved the scale upwards as comparables.

Their isn't going to be an offer sheet on Matthews lol.

If the Rangers wanted to play that game, we could pay it back with dividends by tossing a max offer sheet at any free agent they have coming up.

Draisaitl went the entire summer without a contract and their were no offer sheets from other teams. GM's don't want to start playing that game.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It’s business. I know we haven’t had a player of his caliber in, oh, 50 years, which makes people think the only answer is to bend over backwards, but I’m confident Matthews can be an adult about the business side of things.
and if Mathews holds firm on wanting say 12m over 8 your answer would be to let him sit until he signs for what you want to pay him ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Abso-effin’-lutely.

You said that we have leverage. OK, so you want to use that leverage and start playing hardball? If you start playing hardball then I think it's pretty naive to confidently proclaim that Matthews will not sign an offer sheet. Hardball is a nasty game with potentially serious consequences.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You said that we have leverage. OK, so you want to use that leverage and start playing hardball? If you start playing hardball then I think it's pretty naive to confidently proclaim that Matthews will not sign an offer sheet. Hardball is a nasty game with potentially serious consequences.

Matthews sticking to $12 million is not the Leafs playing hardball. That is Matthews playing hardball.

Matthews isn’t Mario or Wayne, nor has he won us a couple of cups. When he is a two-time cup champion with us, yeah I’ll be more willing to bend over.

I’m just about done here.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sure. Matthews should just go all in and ask for $16 million. What’s another $4 million. Leafs need to bend over backwards anyway or my job is toast.
i said 12 not 16 and if he was holding out for almost 4m more than the highest paid player in the league then a GM would look reasonable by drawing the line , however AM wanting 12m while a steep price to play is reasonable

if a GM wants to play hardball he does it with his lesser players and not with his 20 year old franchise player

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sure. Matthews should just go all in and ask for $16 million. What’s another $4 million. Leafs need to bend over backwards anyway or my job is toast.

I predict Matthews will come in at between 15 - 16% C.H. (Cap hit as percentage of the Cap ceiling).

If the Cap Ceiling is ~$80 mil (when Auston signs) that means 15% = $12 mil AAV and 16% = 12.8 mil AAV.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Matthews sticking to $12 million is not the Leafs playing hardball. That is Matthews playing hardball.

Matthews isn’t Mario or Wayne, nor has he won us a couple of cups. When he is a two-time cup champion with us, yeah I’ll be more willing to bend over.

I’m just about done here.

I threw out the numbers 11 or 11.5 not 12 and I believe that is fair. You said you were willing to let him sit out until he signs for what you want him to sign for - that's hardball.

Edit - I'm also not a fan of the cups argument. He's a player, not the GM.

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Matthews is at elite level and probably the best 2 way forward in the league and can handle any competition without any doubt

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He needs the big checklist. He's got the Canadian Bank (Scotia probably wanted a big player in Canadian market after Subban got traded), now he needs a Rogers/Bell deal, and a Sport Check or Canadian tire one, Tims wouldn't hurt either. I think he's a bit hurt by being American, some of those companies love having a guy who they market due to international Canadian success.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Hey Matthews, we wouldn't mind a discount on your second contract. I wish he would take Eichel money at this point lol but he's most likely getting 12M.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't even know what to say when in the Matthews threads. I mean, what do you really say? Wow, Great player, Always a dominant force even when not scoring. He really isn't very interesting to talk about unless he scores an awesome goal or wins an award because there is no real debate. He is the Franchise player, best player on the team after Nazem Kadri ;)

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He needs the big checklist. He's got the Canadian Bank (Scotia probably wanted a big player in Canadian market after Subban got traded), now he needs a Rogers/Bell deal, and a Sport Check or Canadian tire one, Tims wouldn't hurt either. I think he's a bit hurt by being American, some of those companies love having a guy who they market due to international Canadian success.

Can Rogers/Bell legally give him a deal?

That's cap circumvention I'd assume.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Hey Matthews, we wouldn't mind a discount on your second contract. I wish he would take Eichel money at this point lol but he's most likely getting 12M.

Just the beginning for Matthews and he and his people know it. Lots of scoffing by people at the notion of being the star Leaf would lead to huge endorsements, Matthews is going to hit a stratosphere never seen in Canada and only surpassed by a few worldwide.
Florida tax rates and privacy are advantages this guy will make a fortune outside of his playing contract.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can Rogers/Bell legally give him a deal?

That's cap circumvention I'd assume.

Sure they can. Bell owns both the Habs (18%) and the Leafs (37.5%) and the league doesn't care.

I am sure the media wing of those companies operates independently of the owners (MLSE). McDavid has a contract with Rogers IIRC so Matthews can represent Bell with the Leafs being blue and white.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad