Awesome Auston Discussion thread

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It would be nice if they just disclose what the issue was so all this speculation can end.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I highly doubt opposition players are going to target Matthews, shoulder, head, hand, knees, what ever the issue is and deliberately try and injure him lol. smh

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
speculation should end regardless, and I don't see the need for them to announce to the league where Matthews is vulnerable

With 24 hour sports radio, maybe it should end but it won't. Also, I don't subscribe to the theory that a guy gets his injuries targeted.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
It’s been said by a few reputable sources that it’s “most likely” not a concussion.

When I watch the video of his collision with Rielly I see him hunch over, never move his right arm, fix him helmet, and proceed to skate to the bench with no motion in his right arm. I didn’t see him coddling his head, I saw an arm injury, 90% sure. Just my opinion.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I highly doubt opposition players are going to target Matthews, shoulder, head, hand, knees, what ever the issue is and deliberately try and injure him lol. smh
You'd be surprised haha most players in the league do respect their peers enough not to do that but there's a lot of dirtbags in the league you can't put that past.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It’s been said by a few reputable sources that it’s “most likely” not a concussion.

When I watch the video of his collision with Rielly I see him hunch over, never move his right arm, fix him helmet, and proceed to skate to the bench with no motion in his right arm. I didn’t see him coddling his head, I saw an arm injury, 90% sure. Just my opinion.

Its hard to say if he was concussed or not, Matthews ran into an immovable object that he didn't see and wasnt prepared for! he felt that hit very deep inside throughout his body, I know that feeling.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Its hard to say if he was concussed or not, Matthews ran into an immovable object that he didn't see and wasnt prepared for! he felt that hit very deep inside throughout his body, I know that feeling.

It is hard to say from that video alone, but not hard to infer based on all the information we have presented to us. No concussion spotter, practicing, flying, among hearsay from reputable sources.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Yeah me too. I'm thinking ribs myself. But it could be an arm like the poster above said. Only a select few know though.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
How are people that convinced he's concussed? All signs point to no concussion but he adjusts his helmet after colliding with Rielly and that's definitive proof.

I dont know about treatments (not following Leafs hockey) but watching video clip it's pretty much obvious

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I was listening to the radio the other day, I can't remember which station (I bounce around), but one of the beat reporters was talking about one of his earlier practices this week (might have been his first where he was taking it easy). The reporter mentioned that several times he was taking a shot and after took his hand off his stick and shook it a little... as if the arm or hand or wrist was uncomfortable. They said it was very slight but it looked like he was favoring either his hand or arm a bit. I wish I could remember who said it, one of the bunch on either the fan or 1050.

Reactions: Kelly

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I was listening to the radio the other day, I can't remember which station (I bounce around), but one of the beat reporters was talking about one of his earlier practices this week (might have been his first where he was taking it easy). The reporter mentioned that several times he was taking a shot and after took his hand off his stick and shook it a little... as if the arm or hand or wrist was uncomfortable. They said it was very slight but it looked like he was favoring either his hand or arm a bit. I wish I could remember who said it, one of the bunch on either the fan or 1050.

This would actually be very good news.......hands,arms,wrists all get better sooner or later....even a concussion , at least usually, doesn't inhibit a player throughout his career....(you know what I mean).

But back injuries....those can be career threatening

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I dont know about treatments (not following Leafs hockey) but watching video clip it's pretty much obvious
Thanks Mr. Jets fan for clearing that up, now the speculation can finally end.

Why would you doubt that? Maybe not so much now, but in a playoff series some players definitely will.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Why would you doubt that? Maybe not so much now, but in a playoff series some players definitely will.

I dont think Mcdavids shoulder was targeted by players when he came back, or any players target Crosbys head, etc ... Players don't intentionally try to take other players out, but dumb shit happens though...

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I dont think Mcdavids shoulder was targeted by players when he came back, or any players target Crosbys head, etc ... Players don't intentionally try to take other players out, but dumb **** happens though...

Probably a little more difficult to legally target a players head, but if the Leafs released that it's Matthews left wrist ailing him, I wouldn't put it past SOME players to target that wrist with slashes and hacks more so than before. Somebody like Marchand if we match with the Bruins 1st round. Players can be real dirty, and like you said do dumb shit just to win.

Either way there really isn't any benefit to the Leafs in making that information public.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
I thought the collision video was obvious, he takes his glove off and shakes his arm/wrist.
The original injury happened (think it was VGK game ) and the colourman Ferraro or Millen said instantly it was the wrist. He finished that game and then started looking noticeably different.
On his first return his stickhandling was nowhere near what it is healthy, and a couple of times he flinched and pulled up when he his stick touched the ice, one of those giveaways resulted in a goal.
In a way it's a relief it's not the back, though I guess wrist injuries could require surgery as well.

Reactions: brhymes19

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Probably a little more difficult to legally target a players head, but if the Leafs released that it's Matthews left wrist ailing him, I wouldn't put it past SOME players to target that wrist with slashes and hacks more so than before. Somebody like Marchand if we match with the Bruins 1st round. Players can be real dirty, and like you said do dumb **** just to win.

Either way there really isn't any benefit to the Leafs in making that information public.

Other teams most likely already know Matthews injury, imo

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I thought the collision video was obvious, he takes his glove off and shakes his arm/wrist.
The original injury happened (think it was VGK game ) and the colourman Ferraro or Millen said instantly it was the wrist. He finished that game and then started looking noticeably different.
On his first return his stickhandling was nowhere near what it is healthy, and a couple of times he flinched and pulled up when he his stick touched the ice, one of those giveaways resulted in a goal.
In a way it's a relief it's not the back, though I guess wrist injuries could require surgery as well.

Yep this is it 100%. His stickhandling and stickwork in general were what I noticed the most after his return. I figured it had to be a wrist or arm injury he was dealing with.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
When was the last time there was an important player who missed several games with this level of secrecy? I can't really remember a situation like this in Toronto.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
When was the last time there was an important player who missed several games with this level of secrecy? I can't really remember a situation like this in Toronto.

I like it this way. I don’t see the need to publicize anything.

“Tell uuuuus!! The people have a right to know!!”

No, not really. We don’t have to know shit.

Reactions: Garthinater

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I've always preferred the secrecy, it'd be stupid for any management to not keep things in house. Sucks for us though.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
The original injury looked like a wrist or arm..
The new injury looked like a concussion......He looked dazed at the bench...was not holding his arm or wrist..
However, I still don't understand why they would let a player with a suspected concussion fly the next day......
So who knows.........I wish that they would tell us something....anything..

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I like it this way. I don’t see the need to publicize anything.

“Tell uuuuus!! The people have a right to know!!”

No, not really. We don’t have to know ****.

Yeah I don’t really care if he has bad hemmoroids or a dislocated shoulder, hopefully he’s back soon.

I just can’t remember there being a situation like this is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad