Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Yakupov

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yakupov is at his best when he's having fun. Edmonton was a hell-hole for him, and in St. Louis he had to get use to a defensive structure, new teammates, and trying to find his game all at the same time.

I was being pretty cautious with my expectations, but it's hard not to be a little excited based off his (limited) play with us. Although we haven't had a player gel with Dutchy for awhile, so he'll probably be PPG for ~20 games and then suffer a horrible injury.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yakupov has that reputation for a reason. Best to keep expectations low. I agree that he needs to be given a proper opportunity to show what he can do, because in the past when he's been given a longer leash and a bit of an offensive opportunity, he's shown he can produce. I've outlined it before during his rookie season and his half-season stint with Derek Roy as his centre.

But the "dumb" Yak will show up occasionally, make no mistake about it. It's just who he is. There will be games where you'll want to punch the nearest object because of what he does. Whether it's a blind turnover, running around like a chicken with his head cut off, or trying to go 1v5 up the ice like it's junior.

Now, I hope he can limit them as much as possible because I'm rooting for the guy, but I expect those to show up 100% this season.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yakupov has that reputation for a reason. Best to keep expectations low. I agree that he needs to be given a proper opportunity to show what he can do, because in the past when he's been given a longer leash and a bit of an offensive opportunity, he's shown he can produce. I've outlined it before during his rookie season and his half-season stint with Derek Roy as his centre.

But the "dumb" Yak will show up, make no mistake about it. It's just who he is. There will be games where you'll want to punch the nearest object because of what he does. Whether it's a blind turnover, running around like a chicken with his head cut off, or trying to go 1v5 up the ice like it's junior.

Now, I hope he can limit them as much as possible because I'm rooting for the guy, but I expect those to show up 100% this season.

If he keeps up his play/creativity while making a few dumb plays once in awhile, that's worth it. I mean every player makes dumb plays, O'Rielly gifted Montreal the win that game with his turnover.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If he keeps up his play/creativity while making a few dumb plays once in awhile, that's worth it. I mean every player makes dumb plays, O'Rielly gifted Montreal the win that game with his turnover.
Of course every player makes dumb plays. I mean MacKinnon made an asinine behind-the-back pass to Desharnais tonight. It's just been constant in the past with Yakupov which is why he's had a short leash. And what I mean by constant is that there's been times in the past where he tries to go 1v5, turns it over, then tries it again the next game, and the next game, and the next game, etc.

If he makes the occasional blunder, that's ok with me so long as he's given a long leash to produce.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Of course every player makes dumb plays. I mean MacKinnon made an asinine behind-the-back pass to Desharnais tonight. It's just been constant in the past with Yakupov which is why he's had a short leash. And what I mean by constant is that there's been times in the past where he tries to go 1v5, turns it over, then tries it again the next game, and the next game, and the next game, etc.

If he makes the occasional blunder, that's ok with me so long as he's given a long leash to produce.

The fewer the handles the better. Yak just needs to defer and get open especially with pass happy Kerfoot on his line.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Oilers fan coming to say that I hope Yakupov works out for you guys. He is one of my favourite players. :)

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
Another Oilers fan hoping Yak does well.
Man I hated the Avs a few years ago when you were good and we sucked. Now that you have Yak, Avs are my 2nd favourite team!

How did he play last night. I tried to watch a bit of it. I saw his assist to Duchene (great play), and also the highlight of his other beautiful assist that he could have had if Duchene had finished

But how was his game otherwise. Maybe I need to go to the GDT instead of bothering you all.

Go Oilers! Go Avs!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Another Oilers fan hoping Yak does well.
Man I hated the Avs a few years ago when you were good and we sucked. Now that you have Yak, Avs are my 2nd favourite team!

How did he play last night. I tried to watch a bit of it. I saw his assist to Duchene (great play), and also the highlight of his other beautiful assist that he could have had if Duchene had finished

But how was his game otherwise. Maybe I need to go to the GDT instead of bothering you all.

Go Oilers! Go Avs!

He played a real good game. Looked much more calm and relaxed than he did in pre-season. Wasn't running around, stuck to his position and made some real great plays. Consistently the first forward back on the backcheck too.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Good job Yaks, nice goal!

Anybody mind giving me an update on how he's played so far?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hes played well. 3 points in 3 games. He hasnt been a liability. He works hard and hes engaged out there. Nothing but good things for his first 3 games as an Av.

Agreed, although I have to admit his first couple steps look really awkward. Like hes stuck in quicksand and then just shoots off.

Hes been reading the play well, and not trying to hold onto the puck too long. A lot of give n go, and moving into the right spots to get open. He hasn't been a liability in his own end either, and looks like hes getting a bit more confident.

He had two goals today, but they were easy peasy. He could have had a third, but Rask robbed him blind.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Agreed, although I have to admit his first couple steps look really awkward. Like hes stuck in quicksand and then just shoots off.

Hes been reading the play well, and not trying to hold onto the puck too long. A lot of give n go, and moving into the right spots to get open. He hasn't been a liability in his own end either, and looks like hes getting a bit more confident.

He had two goals today, but they were easy peasy. He could have had a third, but Rask robbed him blind.

I can name 9 guys on our roster who would miss the net on that first goal.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I have to say...his playmaking skills are very underrated. He is a very good passer.

Set up Dutchy a few times with some pretty sweet passes that haven't unfortunately been converted, so he could easily be on 5 points in my opinion. What a great acquisition so far ! Long way to go, but the early signs are amazing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov is the type of player where you just have to let him play his game and the results will start coming. He was drafted to be a scorer and Edmonton/STL tried to force him to play a 2 way game. We all know he's horrible defensively but still has the potential to be a 30 goal player.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
it's all about confidence with Yak, if he feels good he plays well. Like others have said he's at his best when he's having fun

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I dont think they showed in on the altitude feed but Yakupov was trying to high five the Bruins fans by the bench after he scored lol.

giphy.gif

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

You read stuff like this and Kinda feel for him. It does make it seem he was pretty isolated with his former teams. Really hope he's able to find his groove here and somewhat live up to that hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad