Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Yakupov

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Thanks guys. How good is Kerfoot? I've honestly never herd of him.
He's the 23yo college guy that we managed to sign as an UFA this summer. He's been surprisingly very good so far in preseason. Smaller guy who's a puck magnet with high hockey IQ.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm glad to see Yak is getting a chance with Duchene.

He is such a great kid. I really hope he lights it up for you guys this year.

I think you mean it's nice to see that dutchy & Yak are getting a chance to play with Kerfoot ;-)

But yes Yak is way too easy to root for.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Oiler fan just wondering how Yakupov has looked during the preseason? Really rooting for him to reach his potential.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Oiler fan just wondering how Yakupov has looked during the preseason? Really rooting for him to reach his potential.
Unfortunately they only played him in one of the televised games. But through out and camp and preaseaon games all reports are that he's played really well. Had a nice goal in the televised game and 3 assists in another. Really clicking with Duchene and Kerfoot. Hoping he keeps its going, he seems pretty comfortable in the room and the job is his to lose at this point.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's a highly skilled player, it wasn't a tough call to predict he'd look good in camp. But he seems to be fitting in well and finding chemistry. There's really no pressure on him and we've all been happy with what we've seen. Grigo always felt like he knew he was fighting an uphill battle, Yak just seems like he's happy about everything.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m worried about him falling into no-mans land between the scoring and depth lines, but at least he’ll always be bringing effort. Bednar will likely be more lenient with him in his slumps. The worst thing for Yak would be if he had only 1 point through ten games and we bust him down to the 4th line. You might as well just cut him loose at that point.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I’m worried about him falling into no-mans land between the scoring and depth lines, but at least he’ll always be bringing effort. Bednar will likely be more lenient with him in his slumps. The worst thing for Yak would be if he had only 1 point through ten games and we bust him down to the 4th line. You might as well just cut him loose at that point.

Hopefully they have Rantanen's start of the season still fresh in their minds.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's a highly skilled player, it wasn't a tough call to predict he'd look good in camp. But he seems to be fitting in well and finding chemistry. There's really no pressure on him and we've all been happy with what we've seen. Grigo always felt like he knew he was fighting an uphill battle, Yak just seems like he's happy about everything.

Yak managed to stay that way through everything that happened in Edmonton. How he remains such an eternally positive person is kinda inspiring...and why he's so easy to root for.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I think that Bednar will improve as his coaching staff gets better and the NHL is more familiar to him.
He was bad last season but that was a no win situation, especially at the last minute and with Varly going down.

I think we will see a different way of him dealing with players this year.

Reactions: klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Sea Eagles really Yakupov???

Long lost twins who were separated at birth.

PS it does amuse me that the two most positive/optimistic/happy-go-lucky players on our team are the russian 1st overall bust & the russian polarbear on skates that loves crushing other teams' players.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think Colorado has great offensive potential, I mean a top 9 of :

Mackinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
Rantanen
Yakupov
Andrighetto
Kerfoot
Wilson
Compher

The offense has excellent potential while if you improve the D(hopefully Makar develops quickly!) and add a couple decent veterans, the team could easily be in the playoffs.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this young team, best of luck!

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think Colorado has great offensive potential, I mean a top 9 of :

Mackinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
Rantanen
Yakupov
Andrighetto
Kerfoot
Wilson
Compher

The offense has excellent potential while if you improve the D(hopefully Makar develops quickly!) and add a couple decent veterans, the team could easily be in the playoffs.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this young team, best of luck!

I would love to be this positive but we were one of the worst offensive teams in league last season. Half of those players are still nobodies at NHL level. it's going to be rough couple years.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I would love to be this positive but we were one of the worst offensive teams in league last season. Half of those players are still nobodies at NHL level. it's going to be rough couple years.

This is very possible, my scenario was more better/best case. However, l I think having another bad year will do wonders for your prospect pool. This core can easily be salvaged and I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene traded for a good young player and a pick. This will support the rebuild and allow the team to get competitive by 2018-2019 or worst case 2019-2020.

I can even confidently say you guys just need a quick tweak/rebuild and the team will be right on track.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For all the talk when we signed him about how he has no Hockey IQ, great motor but cant think the game, etc. etc. it's been his heads up, smart little plays both with and without the puck that have me the most excited about him so far.

The kid is good. Just needs an opportunity to really get comfortable on a team and he'll turn heads.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, I never thought of Yakupov as a playmaker, but his highlights tonight were all passes. I'd say it was a fluke if I hadn't been at the preseason game vs Dallas where he got three assists from crisp passing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad