Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Yakupov

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I think Yak looks/acts very happy to be here.
Kinda hope that becomes infectious, and Dutch decides he actually still loves the Avs.

1,000% this my friend.
I've said it all along, we look balanced. We look young. Chemistry will only improve.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
so it the yak really back? Is this going to be some way romantic dual redemption season for the Avs and Yak!? OOh I hope so! Best of luck to you guys this year you guys totally deserve it!~ Of course when facing the jets I hope you fold like a cheap tent but otherwise lay waste the NHL!

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I've seen a lot of people mention how he already matched his goal total from last season (3) in a fraction of the games (6 vs. 40).

What I find more interesting his is shots on goal. Last year - (35), this year - (15) already. He was given no chance in St. Louis.

Some of the quick decisions/passes Yakupov has made with the puck are things I haven't seen since Forsberg left. Problem is he's all over the place when the puck isn't on his stick; but even with that said, it's not like he's some huge defensive liability out there.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Goodnight, sweet prince. We will not forget you, Terry Yaki.

tenor.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Classic Bednar coaching. Yak struggled under demanding coaches like McLellan, Hitchcock, and Yeo. He then has a great start to the season with a younger more relaxed group, and was having loads of fun. Then has one bad game against his former team and Bednar thinks it's a good idea to be a hardass and bench him for the 3rd period, and call him out after the game.

Just like how he (by his own admission) barely watched any tape of the Avs before taking over, this feels like another example him him not doing his homework on his players, because he thinks he has all the answers.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Bednar doesn't understand how to deal with different player personalities. It works in the A because 95% of players there are grinders willing to do anything to win and get their shot in the NHL, but big league players are different. You can't just crank up the "tough guy" moves and expect results at this level.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bednar doesn't understand how to deal with different player personalities. It works in the A because 95% of players there are grinders willing to do anything to win and get their shot in the NHL, but big league players are different. You can't just crank up the "tough guy" moves and expect results at this level.

I think he thinks all his players should be jack of all trades types. That's why he succeeds at coaching minor leaguers who are desperately looking to impress coaches and teams and make the NHL. As opposed to established NHLers who are way more talented, and know they have to do certain things to be successful at this level.

Take for instance how he's handled Jost. A 10th overall pick and quite a skilled and smart top 6 type of player. Bednar starts him in his first full season on the 4th line playing with scrubs. Then shuffles him around from center to wing. For some reason he doesn't think a player like Jost needs stability and quality minutes to adjust and develop in the NHL. He should just be able to handle whatever.

Another example is Duchene. He's been playing center all year. Then he goes into the Bednar blender and gets shuffled to RW against the Blues. Then in the 2nd period he shuffles him again when they're down 2-1, and puts Duchene at LW. What happens on his first shift playing his third position in a matter of days? He hesitates and doesn't know where he needs to be on the ice and how to cover, so he slowly goes towards the man in the corner with the puck, and lets a centering pass go right by him in the slot for a backbreaking 3-1 goal.

Bednar can coach minor leagues, and journeymen fringe players like his beloved Ben Smith, but he has no idea how to coach higher end NHLers.

Reactions: MacBradley

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Classic Bednar coaching. Yak struggled under demanding coaches like McLellan, Hitchcock, and Yeo. He then has a great start to the season with a younger more relaxed group, and was having loads of fun. Then has one bad game against his former team and Bednar thinks it's a good idea to be a hardass and bench him for the 3rd period, and call him out after the game.

Just like how he (by his own admission) barely watched any tape of the Avs before taking over, this feels like another example him him not doing his homework on his players, because he thinks he has all the answers.

What did Bednar say after the game?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What did Bednar say after the game?

He said they "had a couple passengers" then during the same answer said "we had a couple bonehead plays" and then again said "we had a couple guys that didn't show up to play."

Then the next question Dater starts asking him about Yak, and Bednar says, "yeah he's one of em."

Reactions: StayAtHomeAv

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Lol Joe Sakic has 100% faith in Jared Bednar. It's hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

Either that or he is not being 100% honest. Perhaps he has learned that sometimes he should not say the whole truth to the media to avoid creating uncertainty around the team. As he did with his statements about who was available and who was not on the team.

Reactions: MacBradley

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Either that or he is not being 100% honest. Perhaps he has learned that sometimes he should not say the whole truth to the media to avoid creating uncertainty around the team. As he did with his statements about who was available and who was not on the team.
If Joe Sakic didn't have 100% confidence in Jared Bednar, he would have fired him this past summer.

- The team had a historically bad season, a season not seen in 20 years
- The entire team quit on him by November
- Multiple players had career worst or near-career worst seasons
- He treated veteran, respected players like complete trash. Even if some of them were done or near done, you don't treat players like Iginla, McLeod, Soderberg etc the way he has/did.

That is enough for a GOOD coach to get fired. That is enough for a coach with actual NHL experience who has had success to be fired. But it is not enough for Jared Bednar to be fired? Joe Sakic has 100% faith in this man, and I hope it costs Joe Sakic his job.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did he really treat veteran players like trash? True, he didn't seem to like Cody McLeod much but frankly I think if he erred in that area it was that he gave some vets WAY too much slack. I suppose once injuries set in he didn't have much of a choice but if he truly treated vets like trash he would've done so with Iggy and Beauch as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->