Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
We are basically missing a top 6 LW and a 3rd line winger if Comeau leaves but otherwise our lines are looking good.

Im a big fan of Kerfoot. He works hard, isn't afraid to get dirty and had a fantastic rookie season with 19 goals and 43 points. I would expect him to put up at least 50 this coming season and is only 23 years old.

I like Stastny but 16 goals and 37 assists for 53 points and at least a 4 year deal for 6 mil plus isn't worth it to me. Sure Stastny is a better defensive centerman and on faceoffs but I'd rather have a 10 years younger Kerfoot than spend on Stastny.

I'd rather us target a big left winger like:

James Neal
James Van Riemsdyk
Patrick Maroon

And if we don't re-sign Blake Comeau, Antoine Rousell would be my #1 target for the 3rd line. Hell, I think I'd prefer Rousell.

I also like Andrighetto but he shouldn't be on the top 6 IMO.

Sign:

James Neal (30) 3 years, 18 million
Antoine Rousell (27) 4 years, 12 million

Re-Sign

Jonathan Bernier (29) 1 year, 3 million

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Neal - Kerfoot - Jost
Nieto - Soderberg - Rousell
Wilson - Compher - Bourque
Andrighetto - Kamanev

That is a deep versatile group.

Zadorov-Barrie
Girard-Johnson
Nemeth - Barberio
Siemens

Again, there are much worse defensive groups than this. I really like the potential of our guys but the key will be Johnson and Barrie staying healthy.

Varlamov
Bernier

I see no reason why that wouldn't be a playoff team.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Because why overpay a marginal player? Why make stupid decisions just because you have the ability to be stupid?

Stupid is subjective, that money wouldn't be in use anyway. I rather have Roussel on the ice than more money in the owner's pockets.

I really don't understand your logic here, that's like getting pissed that the neighbor overpaid for his car. It's not our money.

Last edited:

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
just seen Kessel's name on the main boards, would he be better than Statsney for us? younger but more $$ and we would have to give something for him

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Stupid is subjective, that money wouldn't be in use anyway. I rather have Roussel on the ice than more money in the owner's pockets.

I really don't understand your logic here, that's like getting pissed that the neighbor overpaid for his car. It's not our money.
You don't understand my logic, yet you use the "it's the owner's money" logic?

You realize we are fans of this hockey team, right? Why overpay Antoine Roussel when that money can be better used elsewhere? Be it now, or later on.

Just because one has an ability to be stupid with money doesn't mean you have the go-ahead to be stupid.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You don't understand my logic, yet you use the "it's the owner's money" logic?

You realize we are fans of this hockey team, right? Why overpay Antoine Roussel when that money can be better used elsewhere? Be it now, or later on.

Just because one has an ability to be stupid with money doesn't mean you have the go-ahead to be stupid.

But it's not "Roussel vs a better use of the money elsewhere", it's "Roussel vs not spending that money on the hockey club".

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sakic has now signed 3 pending UFAs(Alt, Barberio, Bourque) well before free agency starts.

Avs pending UFAs:

Comeau
Bernier
Grimaldi
Colborne(lol)
Hammond
Cannata
Vogelhuber

Do you think he will sign any others?

I say let them all walk.

Compher needs to improve defensively but I'd like to see him take Comeau's spot at RW on the 3rd line. Making the playoffs again and improving on this season is obviously the goal but continuing to develop these young guys is also important. I don't think you're helping Compher now or for the future if you bury him on the 4th line in favour of a 32 year old Comeau.

The 2nd line RW spot is the big question mark because I don't see anyone currently good enough for that role. That's where I'd like to see them go outside the organization and try to acquire one of the guys we've talked about often (Silfverberg/Skinner) or someone else via trade/free agency.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No, it's option 1.

Nope, not true at all. We had 8M of cap space last year and that money simply wasn't spent. If we'd have overpaid for a guy like Roussel, we'd have had 6M of cap space instead and it wouldn't have changed a damn thing for anyone except for the person writing the paycheks.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Nope, not true at all. We had 8M of cap space last year and that money simply wasn't spent. If we'd have overpaid for a guy like Roussel, we'd have had 6M of cap space instead and it wouldn't have changed a damn thing for anyone except for the person writing the paycheks.
I don’t understand.

Are you assuming we’re just signing the guy for a year or 2?

Reactions: McMetal

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You realize that not everything works on a year-to-year basis, right?

If you want Antoine Roussel, you aren't signing him for one season. He's going to want term, and there is no sense being stupid and overpaying him for a few years.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t understand.

Are you assuming we’re just signing the guy for a year or 2?
I'm saying that people shouldn't worry about overpaying a player as long as that money wouldn't be used anyway.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You realize that not everything works on a year-to-year basis, right?

If you want Antoine Roussel, you aren't signing him for one season. He's going to want term, and there is no sense being stupid and overpaying him for a few years.

Unless we land a Tavares or Carlson, we have a 3-4 years window where we can spend without worrying too much about the cap.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The only reason to spend to the cap just because you can is because you're trying to win the cup and don't care about the future. Let's not just shovel money into the fire just because we aren't using it right now, there is nothing at all wrong with being close to the floor for a team in our position right now. These ELCs will end quicker than you think.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
If tampa management thinks TJ is as useless as their fanbase think I think he'd be an interesting target

Or trade Mikko for Kuch because he's apparently the most unclutch player ever:sarcasm:

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
We are basically missing a top 6 LW and a 3rd line winger if Comeau leaves but otherwise our lines are looking good.

Im a big fan of Kerfoot. He works hard, isn't afraid to get dirty and had a fantastic rookie season with 19 goals and 43 points. I would expect him to put up at least 50 this coming season and is only 23 years old.

I like Stastny but 16 goals and 37 assists for 53 points and at least a 4 year deal for 6 mil plus isn't worth it to me. Sure Stastny is a better defensive centerman and on faceoffs but I'd rather have a 10 years younger Kerfoot than spend on Stastny.

I'd rather us target a big left winger like:

James Neal
James Van Riemsdyk
Patrick Maroon

And if we don't re-sign Blake Comeau, Antoine Rousell would be my #1 target for the 3rd line. Hell, I think I'd prefer Rousell.

I also like Andrighetto but he shouldn't be on the top 6 IMO.

Why not? Have you seen him play on IIHF championships? He is proper top-six player, easily good enough for second line. AFAIK was the most productive swiss player and he was certainly visible on ice, scoring and assisting important points, even against bigger teams like Swedes, Canada or Czechs... IMO he was actually better than Niederreiter, who would be no doubt considered by most posters here to be good enough for our second line, if we had a choice to get him. So why not Andrighetto.

Surely i would prefer bigger names on our roster too, but not really sure any of the names you mentioned are all that.

Agreed about Kerfoot though - but he needs another season to prove he can score consistently at those rates, cause they were fairly above average.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm saying that people shouldn't worry about overpaying a player as long as that money wouldn't be used anyway.
Very bad way of looking at this. Overpaying a player also sets precedent and that player can then be use as a comparable which means you now have to overpay that other player as well and so on. That's how you eventually get into cap trouble. The only time I agree to overpay a player is when that player is the final piece to go for the cup.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Very bad way of looking at this. Overpaying a player also sets precedent and that player can then be use as a comparable which means you now have to overpay that other player as well and so on. That's how you eventually get into cap trouble. The only time I agree to overpay a player is when that player is the final piece to go for the cup.

Like Hossa for Hawks. IMHO Tavares could be that piece for Avs. Not saying that final one, but perhaps the rest could come from our own sources (Kamenev, Makar, Timmins, Bowers, this year 1st, next year 1st and Ottawa´s 1st, etc...).

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Why not? Have you seen him play on IIHF championships? He is proper top-six player, easily good enough for second line. AFAIK was the most productive swiss player and he was certainly visible on ice, scoring and assisting important points, even against bigger teams like Swedes, Canada or Czechs... IMO he was actually better than Niederreiter, who would be no doubt considered by most posters here to be good enough for our second line, if we had a choice to get him. So why not Andrighetto.

Surely i would prefer bigger names on our roster too, but not really sure any of the names you mentioned are all that.

Agreed about Kerfoot though - but he needs another season to prove he can score consistently at those rates, cause they were fairly above average.

Like I said, I like Andrighetto but unless we want to move Soderberg up to the 2nd line center I'd be extremely wary of a 2nd line Jost - Kerfoot - Andrighetto because they lack a physical presence and are all under-sized.

In my scenario I'd like us to sign a scoring LW like James Neal so maybe that would work better and Jost could be moved to the 3rd line replacing Comeau.

Alpha line
Neal - Kerfoot - Andrighetto
Nieto - Soderberg - Jost
Wilson - Compher - Bourque

That would work.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The only reason to spend to the cap just because you can is because you're trying to win the cup and don't care about the future. Let's not just shovel money into the fire just because we aren't using it right now, there is nothing at all wrong with being close to the floor for a team in our position right now. These ELCs will end quicker than you think.
There's such thing as planning and contract length, which is why I mentioned a 3-4 years window. So some of you would rather not spend the money on the team at all than overpaying a guy like Roussel 500k-1M a year for the next couple of years. Ok then. Maybe Kroenke could use that extra million as a down payment for a golf course or something.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
There's such thing as planning and contract length, which is why I mentioned a 3-4 years window. So some of you would rather not spend the money on the team at all than overpaying a guy like Roussel 500k-1M a year for the next couple of years. Ok then. Maybe Kroenke could use that extra million as a down payment for a golf course or something.
Overpaying for a middle six guy is about the last thing we should be doing.

It’s not just about spending money, it’s about making sure you spend money in the right areas. Because a 5M signing of Roussel this year, possible affects your ability to sign, other more important holes a year or 2 down the line.

Now if the contracts are very short term, 2 years, no problem, spend. But once you start approaching 4 and 5 years, it needs to be properly spent.

It’s almost never a good idea to spend money just because you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad