Avs:
Kessel (6.8x4)
Hagelin (4x1)
Hunwick (2.25x1)

Pens:
Avs 1st round Pick (16 OA)
Ghetto
Warsofsky

Avs can afford to take on two badish contracts from the Pens to help them free up some cap space and both expire after this season. Hagelin is still an OK player, but at 4 million he is a bit to rich for his numbers in Pitt. Hunwick may or may not actually make the NHL roster, but the Avs know he is a good lockroom guy and in a worst case plays in the AHL. He probably becomes the teams 7/8 D and eats nachos all year. Maybe you can flip Hunwick for a bag of pucks after the deal goes down.

Pens free a boatload of cap space. The return for Kessel himself is not amazing, but it is decent, Pens really do this to escape cap hell and give them a chance to make some real changes. A middle 1st round pick is either trade bait or a chance to start a minor re-tool in the draft. Ghetto CAN be a 25 goal scorer in the right situation and healthy, cheap depth option. Warsofsky basically is a cheaper version of Hunwick. Pens go into UFA/Trade market with about 12 million in free cap space to use however they wish.

Big question though. Kessel wants to play with Malkin, which might be some of the reasoning behind him wanting out. Is he OK playing with Jost and Kerfoot? Or, is the Mac line ok with being split up?

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Avs:
Kessel (6.8x4)
Hagelin (4x1)
Hunwick (2.25x1)

Pens:
Ghetto
Warsofsky

Avs can afford to take on two badish contracts from the Pens to help them free up some cap space and both expire after this season. Hagelin is still an OK player, but at 4 million he is a bit to rich for his numbers in Pitt. Hunwick may or may not actually make the NHL roster, but the Avs know he is a good lockroom guy and in a worst case plays in the AHL. He probably becomes the teams 7/8 D and eats nachos all year. Maybe you can flip Hunwick for a bag of pucks after the deal goes down.

Pens free a boatload of cap space. The return for Kessel himself is not amazing, but it is decent, Pens really do this to escape cap hell and give them a chance to make some real changes. A middle 1st round pick is either trade bait or a chance to start a minor re-tool in the draft. Ghetto CAN be a 25 goal scorer in the right situation and healthy, cheap depth option. Warsofsky basically is a cheaper version of Hunwick. Pens go into UFA/Trade market with about 12 million in free cap space to use however they wish.

Big question though. Kessel wants to play with Malkin, which might be some of the reasoning behind him wanting out. Is he OK playing with Jost and Kerfoot? Or, is the Mac line ok with being split up?

I don’t see this one happening. Two lateral moves with the benefit of cap relief going to Pitt, then the 16th for Kessel. Soda would be scary on the Pens, though, as an addition to the above, slotting in as the 3rd line C, cap space notwithstanding

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Avs:
Kessel (6.8x4)
Hagelin (4x1)
Hunwick (2.25x1)

Pens:
Ghetto
Warsofsky

Doubt this would be enough, the Pens gave up much more for Brassard and other teams can easily beat this offer.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
There's such thing as planning and contract length, which is why I mentioned a 3-4 years window. So some of you would rather not spend the money on the team at all than overpaying a guy like Roussel 500k-1M a year for the next couple of years. Ok then. Maybe Kroenke could use that extra million as a down payment for a golf course or something.

Or maybe it gets spent on scouting and coaching. This team was too cheap to hire a full time goalie coach before... Better support staff should be a priority. Maybe if they spend $1 million on masseuses they could sign some russian ufas

Reactions: McMetal

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If we’re trading for a winger it should be Skinner. Hes a better fit and I think Carolina would be more receptive to a futures heavy package. I hope Sakic is at least making the call. If the response is 1st+Makar, thanks but no thanks.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If we’re trading for a winger it should be Skinner. Hes a better fit and I think Carolina would be more receptive to a futures heavy package. I hope Sakic is at least making the call. If the response is 1st+Makar, thanks but no thanks.

He'd cost less too. But he isn't Kessel. I understand though that most people wouldn't want to trade for Kess.

I wish we trade for one of those. I like both players a lot. We need proven talent to 2nd line.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I would love to have Kessel on the team, but the guy is a 1st line talent not a 2nd line talent, so he's going to cost way more to acquire and we really dont need him when we already have an entire 1st line.

Skinner makes more sense to go after.

Reactions: Murzu

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He'd cost less too. But he isn't Kessel. I understand though that most people wouldn't want to trade for Kess.

I wish we trade for one of those. I like both players a lot. We need proven talent to 2nd line.

He isn’t but the gap isn’t as nearly big as it currently appears. The value play is Skinner right now given the seasons each had.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The fact that Skinner is nearly 5 years younger makes all the difference in the world. We won't compete for the cup while Kessell is still in his prime (he's turning 31 in october) and he'd cost a lot more to acquire.

Reactions: Hmmm and CobraAcesS

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Reading the last few pages of this thread makes me a bit dizzy. Signing all the dudes (Tavares/Stastny/Carlson/DeHaan), and if not then trading for all the dudes (Skinner/Kessel/Drais). Or even better let's do both :)

Going from the worst team in decades to a Stanley Cup fav in only 2 years - only on hfboard. That's why i love this place. A lot of nonsens - but like always it's fun to dream big.

member 116861

Reading the last few pages of this thread makes me a bit dizzy. Signing all the dudes (Tavares/Stastny/Carlson/DeHaan), and if not then trading for all the dudes (Skinner/Kessel/Drais). Or even better let's do both :)

Going from the worst team in decades to a Stanley Cup fav in only 2 years - only on hfboard. That's why i love this place. A lot of nonsens - but like always it's fun to dream big.

Vegas did it in one year.

#WhyNotUs

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Forget all of that, let's just trade for McDavid. He's gonna waste his career in Edmonton anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad