Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ottawa has financial issues now... how bad would it be if they traded Karlsson? How bad would their attendance be? I don't think they can survive trading Karlsson.
Even though I agree, Friedman (or it was Kyperos) said something really interesting about the Senators. On the other side of the spectrum, why pay Karlsson 12 to 14 million when you don't have the funds to surround him with the support he needs? He might demand a trade if that's the case.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not saying Ottawa can't survive without Karlsson, I'm saying they may not survive a pre-emptive trade. Attendance would plummet and I doubt a downtown arena is happening before 2021... more likely 2023.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not saying Ottawa can't survive without Karlsson, I'm saying they may not survive a pre-emptive trade. Attendance would plummet and I doubt a downtown arena is happening before 2021... more likely 2023.

If indeed the Senators are wiped off the face of the NHL (again) it won't be because of attendance. It'll be because Eugene Melnyk is an overly-coiffed, corrupt, spiteful, immature, shifty, penny-pinching piece of shit.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If indeed the Senators are wiped off the face of the NHL (again) it won't be because of attendance. It'll be because Eugene Melnyk is an overly-coiffed, corrupt, spiteful, immature, shifty, penny-pinching piece of ****.
Please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
the worst third jerseys of the modern era.

Are you talking about these? Because these are quite nice, better than both their current jerseys imo

Ottawa-Senators-Reebok-Premier-Replica-Alternate-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-N10811_XL.jpg

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Are you talking about these?

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope, talkin' about these.

Senators13.png

And it's seriously frustrating to watch. The original 90s-era Sens sweaters were perfection.

Senators02.png

Then they screwed everything up with this abomination.

78d4e4e0c23c33a0.jpg

...and it's more or less been downhill ever since.

I agree though, the "O" jersey is amazing. That was the result of an organization doing what it should do more often--listen directly to its fans.

And I'm told that if you pay attention to the way they're branding themselves (take a look at their Twitter hashtag, for instance) it's going to become the full-time jersey very soon. So I suppose they may be a dumpster fire on the ice but at least they'll look good.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ottawa is a hockey town. The two major problems are that there are a lot of habs and leafs fans, and the arena is way too far (traffic takes me more than an hour to get home, without snow). Karlsson is also every fans favorite player, the fans won't accept a trade unless he wants out. Lots of rumors that Melnyk might be selling the team to the 2nd place bidder for the downtown development plan. Once that arena is downtown, sales wont be an issue.

Ottawa is definitely not a hockey town. In the playoffs there's a buzz but if they're not in... its crickets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I'm not even a Sens fan by any means, I still absolutely hate Melnyk with a passion.

Every time I look at the guy and listen to him speak he always comes off as a sleazy guy who doesn't actually care about anything but the money.

Like last year when he made that public complaint about Sens fans not attending games. And then the media actually grabbed onto and sided with him basically calling out Sens fans not to attend? Like f*** off, Melnyk went on about how the fans should be showing support for the team in playoffs and being true fans going out to the games instead of watching from home. You know damn well his sole motivation behind that was to fill his pockets with more money. He didn't actually give a f*** about the experience at the game, the success of the team, etc. etc. Just about putting $$$ in his pockets.

Then you get the stuff about him dabbling in the trade/free agent negotiations and not letting his GMs do the work. It just makes it even worse. Especially the fact he would have the audacity to be angry at Karlsson for saying he wants to get paid what he deserves and doesn't want to take a discount. And then requesting his no-trade list as if to try and show that he's the one running the show type of power move...

Yeah, I f***ing hate him. Makes me very much appreciative that we have owners with a tonne of money, and dont get involved in the day-to-day and major operations of the team.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If indeed the Senators are wiped off the face of the NHL (again) it won't be because of attendance. It'll be because Eugene Melnyk is an overly-coiffed, corrupt, spiteful, immature, shifty, penny-pinching piece of ****.

"Did you see what they want for Matt Duchene? White? Chabeau? Those guys are gonna be superstars!" :laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How Girard's play ?
Uneven lately. The coaches have seemingly asked him to play a simpler game and it hurts him, because being dynamic and unpredictable is his #1 asset on the ice. Hopefully there will be a new coaching staff at the end of the season that will let him fly free.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How Girard's play ?

Up and down, certainly to be expected from a 19-year-old who was getting top-pairing minutes until recently. I thought his game last night against Tampa was the best he’s had in a while. The point production is not there but that’s more the result of everyone not named MacKinnon and Landeskog not scoring.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Sorry to bump this topic, but I'm curious everyone's outlook on the 1st rounder in light of the rumours for a blow up in Ottawa including Karlsson. Albeit these "rumours" likely just Canadian sports media needing something else to write about besides what Auston Matthews put in his Chipotle taco bowl.

Would we arguably WANT the pick from this year land in the top 10 seeing as how an implosion would potentially be an even better pick next year?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
We'll get a good pick either way me thinks. Hard to see that team get better next year with Anderson being a year older.

True, and for a team that has an unfairly deep prospect pool they don't have much of anyone coming up between the pipes to my knowledge. Could be a simple trade away from having one mind you.

member 116861

I'm lazy and don't want to research so what happens if Ottawa ends up something like 8th or 9th? Does that mean they have the choice to give us that pick instead of next years, if they think they will suck next year? Or is it protected to the point where any top 10 pick is locked and theirs?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm lazy and don't want to research so what happens if Ottawa ends up something like 8th or 9th? Does that mean they have the choice to give us that pick instead of next years, if they think they will suck next year? Or is it protected to the point where any top 10 pick is locked and theirs?

From what I understand, is that if It’s in the top 10 they get to choose whether to give up their pick or not for this year.

Reactions: BrickAHL

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They can defer either way, it's their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad