Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn't know where to put this but I took a look at MacK's gamelogs and it's crazy the way things line up with the duchene trade...and the rumoured knowledge that the trade was almost done in the locker-room a week or two prior to the trade actually happening.

Looking at MacK's pointless games he had 6 in 14 games pre trade...4 multi-point games, all coming in the 4 games preceding the trade; in that 10 day window that the players supposedly knew it was happening...1 pointless game in 2 they played in Sweden right after the trade, and only 3 in the 12 games they've played since getting back from Sweden (5 multi-point games). All of MacK's multi point games have come since the players supposedly found out and he's producing with much more regularity. It really seems like getting to really "be the man" for this team is jiving with MacK right now. If he keeps playing like this...even if the production cools off some...we've got a legit franchise player on our hands; not just a top line star.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
@cgf I agree. At first, I thought it would be cool to maybe take a run at Duchene when he's a UFA if he gets homesick and realizes how good he had it here, and despite me missing seeing him in an Avs sweater, I now want zero part of that. This was always Duchene's team until this year, and now it unquestionably belongs to MacKinnon. Getting Duchene out was the best thing that could have happened. Pains me to say it, and I hope Duchene rips it up on another team, but MacKinnon finally scraping his ceiling is way, way more important.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd rather get Stastny back as a free agent this coming summer than Duchene two summers from now.
I'm a little hesitant to mess with the locker room chemistry now that it looks better by adding a guy back who, in a way, also bailed on the team 4 years ago. On ice yeah, he's a great 2C, but I wonder how he would be received after going UFA to a division rival after a promising season that sputtered out when he left.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm a little hesitant to mess with the locker room chemistry now that it looks better by adding a guy back who, in a way, also bailed on the team 4 years ago. On ice yeah, he's a great 2C, but I wonder how he would be received after going UFA to a division rival after a promising season that sputtered out when he left.
The guys love Staz.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd love to have Stastny back, I've mentioned that a few times though. Plus we have more than enough cap space, we can afford a short term over payment.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Everyone knows Stastny leaving was just business. Stastny got a stupidly good offer from St. Louis, nobody is going to blame him for taking the money when it potentially earns you an extra 10+ mil while staying in the playoff picture. St. Louis is in the division, but they are by no means our divisional rival. That title belongs to Minnesota, but the Avs have been so bad in recent years you can hardly call it that.

Locker room chemistry is a thing, but adding a guy like Stastny isn't going to make it worse... I mean his twitter handle is PaulyWalnuts. He'll fit right back in with the young crowd if he wanted to come back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Probably that the trade was a while ago and the discussions have mostly spread out to their normals spots. The only consistent topic here is Duchene, the only part that hasn’t migrated to the appropriate thread.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is there a reason why it's impossible to keep this thread on topic?
It was a trade that included 9 moving parts. It's integral to the future of this team and also brings up major parts of the past. When somebody says they'd like to bring Duchene back as a UFA I'm not going to message them and say "I'd rather bring somebody else back, move to the rumors thread to find out who it is".

I get as frustrated as anyone when it comes to posts being put in the wrong thread. In this case it's going to be pretty tough to keep it completely related to the trade itself though.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Lol, what’s up with you guys wanting old Avs players back? Can’t we find someone new to fill our needs?

Sure, Stastny fit great on our team and would be an awesome 1-2 punch again but I have never cared for bringing an ex player back once they’ve left.

I also am not stoked with the way in which he left. He essentially led us to believe we could resign him and then dipped leaving us with nothing.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Are you all hoping the Sens pick ends up being top 10 because I am? I'll take my chances that the Sens continue to blow up and sell off pieces resulting in a top 5 pick in '19 since that is supposed to be a good draft as well. Just wondering if that is the consensus around here.

My attempt to get the thread back on topic.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Are you all hoping the Sens pick ends up being top 10 because I am? I'll take my chances that the Sens continue to blow up and sell off pieces resulting in a top 5 pick in '19 since that is supposed to be a good draft as well. Just wondering if that is the consensus around here.
I don't really care. I'm of the opinion that their 2019 will probably be higher than 11th overall so I'm cool with waiting.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol, what’s up with you guys wanting old Avs players back? Can’t we find someone new to fill our needs?

Sure, Stastny fit great on our team and would be an awesome 1-2 punch again but I have never cared for bringing an ex player back once they’ve left.

I also am not stoked with the way in which he left. He essentially led us to believe we could resign him and then dipped leaving us with nothing.

I agree with the first part, don't at all agree with the 2nd. He didn't lead "us" to believe anything. Dude put up amazing numbers in a contract year. He's allowed to get what he thinks he's worth, and based on what has been reported, the Avs didn't really try that hard. He had an opportunity to go back and play in the town he grew up in and for big money. I don't blame him one bit for taking it, nor do I blame the Avs for not paying him that, as I think it is indeed an overpayment (his previous contract, however, was not). The error was not in letting him go, it was when they took the cap space savings and used it on a washed-up superstar winger who couldn't play defense.

But yes, I think the Avs should kick the tires on a variety of options, and while I still have a Stazz jersey hanging in my closet, I'll admit I kinda chafe at what would likely be required to bring him back. In a year where the cap is moving WAY up and Stastny may very well be the best center available in a relatively weak free agent class, he's likely going to get a very inflated deal. Good for him, but I don't want the Avs to pay that much for a guy they already walked away from once. And I seriously doubt he'll take the "hometown discount" seeing as how he didn't take a discount to play in his literal hometown.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

I would rather have it this year, assuming they miss the playoffs.

I'm not sure they do any worse than this year if they do blow it up. They won't take all futures with everybody. I would imagine Karlsson alone returns 2 or 3 immediate pieces. And they are really underperforming right now. I wouldn't bet on a top5 pick.

Plus, with MacK, Rantanen, Jost, Girard, Makar and two top15 2018 picks (I assume a D and a F) I think that gives us plenty of star power going forward. A top5 talent would be great, but I really don't see them being that bad.

And, I'm impatient. The sooner we can get this rebuild done the better.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I agree with the first part, don't at all agree with the 2nd. He didn't lead "us" to believe anything. Dude put up amazing numbers in a contract year. He's allowed to get what he thinks he's worth, and based on what has been reported, the Avs didn't really try that hard. He had an opportunity to go back and play in the town he grew up in and for big money. I don't blame him one bit for taking it, nor do I blame the Avs for not paying him that, as I think it is indeed an overpayment (his previous contract, however, was not). The error was not in letting him go, it was when they took the cap space savings and used it on a washed-up superstar winger who couldn't play defense.

But yes, I think the Avs should kick the tires on a variety of options, and while I still have a Stazz jersey hanging in my closet, I'll admit I kinda chafe at what would likely be required to bring him back. In a year where the cap is moving WAY up and Stastny may very well be the best center available in a relatively weak free agent class, he's likely going to get a very inflated deal. Good for him, but I don't want the Avs to pay that much for a guy they already walked away from once. And I seriously doubt he'll take the "hometown discount" seeing as how he didn't take a discount to play in his literal hometown.

He talked about hometown discounts, then signed a giant overpayment. That's misleading. Nobody has to be blamed or anything, but he was quite misleading about the subject during the season.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
A part of the reason why I'd like to have Stastny back is because I loved him when he played here, sure. But he's also a piece that we could use, a solid 2 way with proven chemistry with Landeskog and MacKinnon. I wouldn't want him on a 4-7 year deal but we have a lot of cap space so if we could overpay on a shorter 2-3 year deal I think he'd help a ton for our younger guys by not throwing them to the wolves.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He talked about hometown discounts, then signed a giant overpayment. That's misleading. Nobody has to be blamed or anything, but he was quite misleading about the subject during the season.

I don't remember reading that but I'll take your word for it. Given how badly the Sens are trying to gut Karlsson for his brutal honesty I guess I can't blame a player for saying anything to keep speculation from rising during the season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't remember reading that but I'll take your word for it. Given how badly the Sens are trying to gut Karlsson for his brutal honesty I guess I can't blame a player for saying anything to keep speculation from rising during the season.

I also remember the DP article where he was directly quoted talking about how important it is to take a home town discount. I personally thought he was staying for a similar salary as he made at the time, and didn't even think he was worth 6.6M long term.

Seeing him walk, and get drastically over paid all at once pissed me off. I'd be lying if I said I didn't hold a grudge there. I was one of the people who defended him constantly, and even wrote a pretty extensive blog about it on MHH that was some of my best work.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't really care. I'm of the opinion that their 2019 will probably be higher than 11th overall so I'm cool with waiting.

The problem isn't waiting, is that the 2018 pick would (in theory) join the team sooner. We're building this thing right now and IMO 2018 is the last draft where high picks are expected to be part of the current core.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad