Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The problem isn't waiting, is that the 2018 pick would (in theory) join the team sooner. We're building this thing right now and IMO 2018 is the last draft where high picks are expected to be part of the current core.

Would you send them an extra asset for them to give it to us this year if it was something like 7 to 9? I don't think I would, but there is always a chance they turn things around enough in 2019 where it would be worth it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Would you send them an extra asset for them to give it to us this year if it was something like 7 to 9? I don't think I would, but there is always a chance they turn things around enough in 2019 where it would be worth it.

Sakic won't offer extra assets and if Dorion gets to keep his 1st pick in 2018 there will be no way we'd be able to pry it away from him anyway.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sakic won't offer extra assets and if Dorion gets to keep his 1st pick in 2018 they'll be no way we'd be able to pry it away from him anyway.

It is a weird situation for that team in general. You could argue all sorts of extremes for both sides. If this, if that I guess.

Watching this stuff post trade is like catching yourself watching a day time soap lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is a weird situation for that team in general. You could argue all sorts of extremes for both sides. If this, if that I guess.

Watching this stuff post trade is like catching yourself watching a day time soap lol.

Agreed. The fact that it's only gotten even MORE dramatic since the trade just blows my mind.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, the more I think about it the more I want Ottawa to finish bottom-10 this season and then outright tank next season. I'd much rather have, say, a top-3 pick in 2019 than I would a pick in the 11-20 range in 2018, even though I'm of the opinion that this team needs to start winning sooner than later.

The Sens don't have much cap space for next season and they have to re-sign Stone and Ceci. Couple that with the potential trade of Erik Karlsson, the declining play of Craig Anderson, and the soon-to-be tuning out of Guy Boucher and you've got a potentially messy situation.

Youngsters coming into the lineup may alleviate some of the pressure but I honestly think they're going to be bad next season. Very bad. And that is very good for us if the pick gets delayed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can't see Ottawa tanking in 2019 no matter what. They might just naturally be a bad team, but they will go all-in to try to convince Karlsson that Ottawa is the place to stay long-term. As a franchise, they really can't afford to lose their franchise player, so they will take the whole risk on convincing him. They very well could make some really bad decisions in order to try to paint the best picture to Karlsson July 1, 2019.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What if Karlsson lets it be known that he isn't signing for less than, say, 11M per season? I really don't think Melnyk is willing to pony up that kind of money for one player, even if it is Erik Karlsson. I could see them seeking out a trade this summer if they realize that he isn't going to be taking any sort of discount. Not saying it'd be smart, but when has Melnyk ever been smart?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ottawa has financial issues now... how bad would it be if they traded Karlsson? How bad would their attendance be? I don't think they can survive trading Karlsson.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The problem isn't waiting, is that the 2018 pick would (in theory) join the team sooner. We're building this thing right now and IMO 2018 is the last draft where high picks are expected to be part of the current core.

A 2019 top 3-5 pick can probably step in at the same time or sooner than a 2018 #11-15 draft pick. I wouldn't mind a draft pick this draft but he probably won't be on the roster for 2018-19 if he's outside the top 10 range.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A 2019 top 3-5 pick can probably step in at the same time or sooner than a 2018 #11-15 draft pick. I wouldn't mind a draft pick this draft but he probably won't be on the roster for 2018-19 if he's outside the top 10 range.
With no 1st pick in 2019 Sens will do everything they can to make the playoffs. We're not getting the 1st of a rebuilding team.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ottawa has financial issues now... how bad would it be if they traded Karlsson? How bad would their attendance be? I don't think they can survive trading Karlsson.
Quebec city's last hope. Small market Canadian team moving to another small market Canadian team. Wouldn't hurt Bettman's feelings as much as moving Carolina, Phoenix or Florida.

Then later expand to a 2nd team in Toronto so Ontario can have 2 teams.

Edit: yeah I know off topic

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ottawa would rather screw themselves over for the next five years than give us a top 5 pick in 2019. I can see Dorion doing some very stupid things to make sure that pick is late even if it means the Sens will be bottom feeders for 2020. Not just for Karlsson, but just for the sake of not having to be the guy who traded a lottery pick+++ for two years of Duchene. It will be as much about pride as business.

The Sens are in a very bad spot here, but ultimately I think we get the 2018 pick because it will be 11-16 range. There's lots of hockey left to play and they will drag themselves out of this slump somehow. As flukey as their postseason run last year was they're not this bad.

So given the choice between a pick in an amazing draft and a similar pick in a lesser one next year, I would rather have the 2018 pick, because a 2019 lottery pick is just not happening.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Melnyk would strip the team bare and live off revenue sharing, except for the fact that he wants that downtown rink. Not sure how hard he's trying though.

I think Melnyk is Jeffrey Loria-level shifty. The sooner he's out of hockey the better it'll be for everyone.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

It definitely will survive without him. He's not Alfie, which also survived without.

When hasn't Ottawa had financial issues though?

When Melynk first took over the team. He was loved here in the city. I actually liked him too. Gave the team everything and was really part of the city.

Then got a divorce and made the sens pay for it.

That's why they want that downtown arena. Having it 22 miles away in Kanata has been an ongoing issue.

That aint happening any time soon. I think.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

To be fair, pre trade was like watching a day time soap as well, so this is just more of the same :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It definitely will survive without him. He's not Alfie, which also survived without.

Alfie was at the very end of his career... Karlsson is only a step down from a generational player in the midst of his prime. I'm not saying they'd fold and move the next day... I'm saying attendance would plummet and might never recover. To the point where Melnyk moves the team.

Reactions: Foppberg

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Alfie was at the very end of his career... Karlsson is only a step down from a generational player in the midst of his prime. I'm not saying they'd fold and move the next day... I'm saying attendance would plummet and might never recover. To the point where Melnyk moves the team.

Disagree, this city is not a hockey town. People will come for the sake of coming. The attendance already isn't that great, probably will dip a bit after he's gone but nothing drastic.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Quebec city's last hope. Small market Canadian team moving to another small market Canadian team. Wouldn't hurt Bettman's feelings as much as moving Carolina, Phoenix or Florida.

Then later expand to a 2nd team in Toronto so Ontario can have 2 teams.

Edit: yeah I know off topic
Toronto won't allow a 2nd team

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oilers fan coming in peace. You guys made out like bandits in that deal. I'm very glad it's working out for you guys. Not very often do these type of deals pan out.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I agree with the first part, don't at all agree with the 2nd. He didn't lead "us" to believe anything. Dude put up amazing numbers in a contract year. He's allowed to get what he thinks he's worth, and based on what has been reported, the Avs didn't really try that hard. He had an opportunity to go back and play in the town he grew up in and for big money. I don't blame him one bit for taking it, nor do I blame the Avs for not paying him that, as I think it is indeed an overpayment (his previous contract, however, was not). The error was not in letting him go, it was when they took the cap space savings and used it on a washed-up superstar winger who couldn't play defense.

But yes, I think the Avs should kick the tires on a variety of options, and while I still have a Stazz jersey hanging in my closet, I'll admit I kinda chafe at what would likely be required to bring him back. In a year where the cap is moving WAY up and Stastny may very well be the best center available in a relatively weak free agent class, he's likely going to get a very inflated deal. Good for him, but I don't want the Avs to pay that much for a guy they already walked away from once. And I seriously doubt he'll take the "hometown discount" seeing as how he didn't take a discount to play in his literal hometown.

I honestly think Stastny will end up with the Blues or the Avs at a 4-5 year/5 mil contract (most likely Blues based off their center depth and playoff window). Dude has made 60 million so far, I don't see Stastny wanting to move to another new city to earn an extra few mil.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I honestly think Stastny will end up with the Blues or the Avs at a 4-5 year/5 mil contract (most likely Blues based off their center depth and playoff window). Dude has made 60 million so far, I don't see Stastny wanting to move to another new city to earn an extra few mil.

It all depends I guess. He'd be the best free agent center available if Tavares re-signs. I don't think he passes up that chance. It could be substantially more than an extra few mil. I wouldn't rule out him staying, especially if he wants that Cup, but I wouldn't blame him if he hit the market either.

Valar Morghulis

Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa is a hockey town. The two major problems are that there are a lot of habs and leafs fans, and the arena is way too far (traffic takes me more than an hour to get home, without snow). Karlsson is also every fans favorite player, the fans won't accept a trade unless he wants out. Lots of rumors that Melnyk might be selling the team to the 2nd place bidder for the downtown development plan. Once that arena is downtown, sales wont be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad