Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire RyJo (@50%) for Chucky

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I was probably the most optimistic about it. I really thought RyJo was gonna have like a 60 point season for this team playing 2C. I’ve been wrong before, but man was I wrong about this one
Props to those who hated this move in the offseason

I'd like to use this occasion to offer my sincere apology to @dahrougem2 for the post below:

f4Tek1E.png

LouCifer

Feb 11, 2024
Hey avs fans, I posted a trade proposal on another board to get RyJo off your hands for a 2C, and just wondered what your take would be on it.

To Avs:
Nazem Kadri - $7M @ 6 years (including this one)

To Flames:
RyJo - $4M @ 2 years (incl. this one)
Byram - $3.85 @ 2 years (incl. this one)

Salary change:
Salaries almost match perfectly ($7M vs $7.85M).
CGY takes on an additional $850k, COL reduces salary by $850k

Why?
- Kadri is performing well for the flames, but given that they're "retooling" I don't see Kadri's skillset being maximized
- COL is looking for a short (current season) and long-term solution for 2C
- it's anticipated CGY is trading away Tanev for sure, and sources say Hanifin is likely as well. As such, Flames will need Defence to replace the losses of Tanev and Hanifin
- Byram fits the retool in CGY, Kadri already has established chemistry with the Avs, and RyJo has negative trade value
- COL gets $850k additional TDL flexibility to acquire a G?

Essentially, Byram covers the cost of 2 transactions: acquiring Kadri + removing RyJo and his cap hit. No other picks or prospects in the trade, no salary retention (retaining on Kadri for 6 years would usually come at an additional cost).

*Worth mentioning: Salary Cap is going up $4.2M next season.

Is this too slanted in Colorado's favor? CGY's favor? What would you do if you were the GM of the Avs when presented with this? Have at it.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hey avs fans, I posted a trade proposal on another board to get RyJo off your hands for a 2C, and just wondered what your take would be on it.

To Avs:

To Flames:

Salary change:

Why?
- Kadri is performing well for the flames, but given that they're "retooling" I don't see Kadri's skillset being maximized
- it's anticipated CGY is trading away Tanev for sure, and sources say Hanifin is likely as well. As such, Flames will need Defence to replace the losses of Tanev and Hanifin
- Byram fits the retool in CGY, Kadri already has established chemistry with the Avs, and RyJo has negative trade value

Essentially, Byram covers the cost of 2 transactions: acquiring Kadri + removing RyJo and his cap hit. No other picks or prospects in the trade, no salary retention (retaining on Kadri for 6 years would usually come at an additional cost).

Is this too slanted in Colorado's favor? CGY's favor? What would you do if you were the GM of the Avs when presented with this? Have at it.
Colorado could have kept Kadri for a lesser AAV and decided not to. Now you're offering him back with his the 2 best years on his contract missing and want Byram in return.

That's like selling your old car for $4000, having seller remorse and buying it back for $10,000 after the new owner has put 50 000 miles on it.

You understand that regardless of the fit it doesn't make sense for the Avs to trade for Kadri unless there's a significant retention.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Colorado could have kept Kadri for a lesser AAV and decided not to. Now you're offering him back with his the 2 best years on his contract missing and want Byram in return.

That's like selling your old car for $4000, having seller remorse and buying it back for $10,000 after the new owner has put 50 000 miles on it.

You understand that regardless of the fit it doesn't make sense for the Avs to trade for Kadri unless there's a significant retention.
Actually it is more like leaving your car on the side of the road for somebody to take for free and then buy back.

LouCifer

Feb 11, 2024

You understand that regardless of the fit it doesn't make sense for the Avs to trade for Kadri.

Using your analogy, I'd say it's more like
- You didn't want to spend the $7,000 to keep the car at the end of the lease, and someone else did
- You bought a different car for $4,000 but you don't like it, it's broken
- The dealership is willing to trade-in your $4,000 one at full value for similar to the $7,000 one along with something additional to match the cost of the vehicle.
(tongue firmly in cheek) 😂

Analogy aside, it sounds like Kadri isn't the fit you're looking for given my cost proposal.
Thanks for your input Bal!

LouCifer

Feb 11, 2024
I would happily take Kadri back.

I would not use Byram to do it.
Thanks Dahrougem2. I appreciate the response.

I was using Byram because he's a position of need for CGY and I see him so far down your depth chart because the Avs are stacked at LD. Also, I'm getting the sense that you guys are more comfortable with RyJo than I thought... my whole proposal is based on getting rid of him and his salary so that you can compete better for a cup this season and the next bunch. Sure, you could get rid of RyJo elsewhere, maybe for a first round pick or something, but then you still have to pay a price for his replacement too... if not Byram, who helps you start a convo with a rival GM for a 2C? I thought of my proposal like a "2-for-1" or "1 stop shop" to get your 2C and get rid of RyJo, with an appropriate price tag that was aimed at a position of strength (and thus, wouldn't hurt you too much).

Are there any counter offers out there? Just trying to gauge what the fanbase is thinking (I have read previous posts as well)

Cheers everyone! Happy Super Bowl!

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Thanks Dahrougem2. I appreciate the response.

I was using Byram because he's a position of need for CGY and I see him so far down your depth chart because the Avs are stacked at LD. Also, I'm getting the sense that you guys are more comfortable with RyJo than I thought... my whole proposal is based on getting rid of him and his salary so that you can compete better for a cup this season and the next bunch. Sure, you could get rid of RyJo elsewhere, maybe for a first round pick or something, but then you still have to pay a price for his replacement too... if not Byram, who helps you start a convo with a rival GM for a 2C? I thought of my proposal like a "2-for-1" or "1 stop shop" to get your 2C and get rid of RyJo, with an appropriate price tag that was aimed at a position of strength (and thus, wouldn't hurt you too much).

Are there any counter offers out there? Just trying to gauge what the fanbase is thinking (I have read previous posts as well)

Cheers everyone! Happy Super Bowl!
By "comfortable," do you mean comfortable with shooting him into the sun? Because I think that's where most of us are at. He's appalling.

Anyways, I'd say you're getting "no's" to Byram for Kadri for two reasons:

- if we move Byram, most would prefer it's in a package for a younger center. Kadri is great; he's also 33.
- From an optics perspective it just won't happen. CMac let Kadri walk for nothing; imagine if two years later he trades one of the Avs' top young players to get him back...?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Laziest player in Avs history. Seriously, this guy makes Arnason and Wolski look like they have Forsbergs determination. Its unacceptable that Jared plays this guy. Enough already. Earlier in the season Jared said something along the lines of "theres nothing that says Johansen has to be the 2C" Theres also nothing that says you have to play the guy so stop it.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

To Avs:

To Flames:

Salary change:

Why?

Sold

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Earlier in the season Jared said something along the lines of "theres nothing that says Johansen has to be the 2C"
Close, he said "there's nothing that says that Johansen should play more than Colton"...and that was early in the season still.

:laugh:

Reactions: The Moops

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
By "comfortable," do you mean comfortable with shooting him into the sun? Because I think that's where most of us are at. He's appalling.

- if we move Byram, most would prefer it's in a package for a younger center. Kadri is great; he's also 33.
- From an optics perspective it just won't happen. CMac let Kadri walk for nothing; imagine if two years later he trades one of the Avs' top young players to get him back...?
I like it cause gets rid of ryjo solves one hole leaves us assets to possibly get a goalie. Gives us a 2c not perfect but I’d do it. And the front office shouldn’t give two shots about optics right now

Reactions: LouCifer

LouCifer

Feb 11, 2024

Well put Avs44. Nice number by the way, that's my hockey number :)
And thanks for your input too LionsDen!

OK, so, ideally Byram for a young center. Byram makes $3.85M, so a young center capable of 2C at that salary. The only player I've heard that's available and might fit the bill is Mittelstadt out of BUF. He's listed as both C and LW, makes only $2.5M this year, and will be getting a hefty raise next season (one of the reasons BUF is offering him). Also, I've heard BUF is dangling him for a goalie they could move forward with this season. I've made the CGY connection to Mittelstadt with Markstrom. Does BUF need another D in Byram? They seem pretty set at D. Additionally, how do you get rid of RyJo and his salary? Trade? I'm not sure there's a team out there for him without heavy compensation. Buyout? How much would that cost the Avs and for how long? Wouldn't that have to be in the summer as well? So, go into this year's playoffs with RyJo at 2C? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Snow Arc

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Close, he said "there's nothing that says that Johansen should play more than Colton"...and that was early in the season still.

:laugh:
Hes pretty much saying what i said then since Colton is a 3C lol but yah. Jared doesnt need to play Johansen at all if he didnt wanna. Better players have been scratched before.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Laziest player in Avs history. Seriously, this guy makes Arnason and Wolski look like they have Forsbergs determination. Its unacceptable that Jared plays this guy. Enough already. Earlier in the season Jared said something along the lines of "theres nothing that says Johansen has to be the 2C" Theres also nothing that says you have to play the guy so stop it.
He simply can't move. He looks like a beer league player with pros all around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad