Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire RyJo (@50%) for Chucky

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Indeed, he was seen as someone with fantastic talent.

The irony to me is that Avs management have tried to fill holes by acquiring over-the-hill veterans before, such as Brad Stuart, Beauchemin, and Iginla. Those experiments failed miserably. I also remember that they explicitly acknowledged that it was mistake.

So, why did they do it this time? Ryjo is a 30+ year-old guy with question marks about his work ethic. Maybe, it was hubris since players tend to have career years under Bednar. In any case, I think the experiment has run its course and they have to rectify their mistake.
At 31 you can still expect him to be just fine for the 2 years left in his contract. I don't remember the exact ages, but I think those guys you listed were around 35. I don't think age matters here, but they should have known about his lack of effort and not gone for the trade.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Johansen is so unfit that laughing turns him the same colour as an Avalanche jersey:

Not going to lie. I might not like RyJo being on the team, but I have really taken to him as a person. Everything I've read about him and every time I see him interacting with others, he just seems to be a solid, standup guy. The way he comforted Manson earlier and just the way he seems to always be engaging others around him, I can see why folks have said he's highly liked in locker rooms.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Like seeing RJ in a good mood, even though that was probably from the beginning of the season.

He hasn't played or fit in well, but on a human level he's a good dude, and he hasn't looked very happy in a while now. He knows he hasn't met expectations.

That's yet another thing that just makes me miss Gabe though. Please come back.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
How did the Avs pro scouts get it so wrong when they damn near been so good for a long time? They seriously looked at Ryjo skating and said, "YES give me that shit here in Denver . We need him!!!"
They might've given CMac a few options and added a caveat beside RyJo's name saying - 'last resort option if you're desperate and a gambling man'.

CMac probably just saw it would cost him nothing, the name was on the list and he was coming out a genius.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
CMac probably just saw it would cost him nothing, the name was on the list and he was coming out a genius.
or maybe he just got the scout reports when he was already a little bit too high, then mixed the "recommended" and "don't, just don't ffs!!!" lists and thought RyJo was the top recommendation. he did thought he was a freaking genius though after Preds accepted just Galchenyuk's rights for it. lol

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
How did the Avs pro scouts get it so wrong when they damn near been so good for a long time? They seriously looked at Ryjo skating and said, "YES give me that shit here in Denver . We need him!!!"
Honestly chances are CMac didn't even consult the scouts or Bednar. Just saw the price tag and decided to pull the trigger.

Turns out that even when something is free it still has a cost. Maybe the worst trade ever for the Avs considering expectations?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The obvious answer is the GM wanted a 2C under 5M AAV and without giving up any asset.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It was a pure gamble.

I mentioned this before but this move was made by a guy who seems to be half all in and half all future.

The guy had his 2023 1st round pick, 2024 1st, 2025 1st, Alex Newhook, Bo Byram, Sam Girard, Sean Behrens, Oskar Olausson, JL Foudy, AND 8M in cap space.

He seems intent on building 5 years from now while doing little things to "help" the team today without sacrificing his future vision.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, RyJo was probably all CMac’s decision. I’m not sure what would the pro scouts have seen when RyJo didn’t have a good season last year and had a serious injury

Yes..

Also if I was Hench I'd try to convince the mods to do whatever is needed so that my fkn avatar picture didn't come up next to this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad