Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire RyJo (@50%) for Chucky

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's interesting to me to compare RyJo and Drouin this season. Both of them started in the top six, and both were swiftly demoted for not trying hard enough on the defensive side. But from there the storylines diverge. Drouin started working his ass off, won back Bednar's trust, and is now back in the top 6. Meanwhile RyJo has responded to his demotion by getting even lazier and more disinterested. Bednar is only using him in an offensive role when he feels like he has no choice.

Just a real study in contrasts. Neither player has been known for their work ethic over their careers, but Bednar got through to one of them and the other one has flamed out.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's interesting to me to compare RyJo and Drouin this season. Both of them started in the top six, and both were swiftly demoted for not trying hard enough on the defensive side. But from there the storylines diverge. Drouin started working his ass off, won back Bednar's trust, and is now back in the top 6. Meanwhile RyJo has responded to his demotion by getting even lazier and more disinterested. Bednar is only using him in an offensive role when he feels like he has no choice.

Just a real study in contrasts. Neither player has been known for their work ethic over their careers, but Bednar got through to one of them and the other one has flamed out.
What is so curious to me is based on Evan's article, Johansen is loved by all his teammates for how he is in the locker room and the extra stuff he does (honouring Manson's mother, team DJ, etc).

Idk about you guys, but if I'm giving my all each shift and I have to watch this guy half ass it while getting paid 8M I would hate his f***ing guts. He is actively hurting the team and doesn't seem to care.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I like to think this speaks extremely well for Bednar's ability to manage to communicate with all sorts of different players. Even those that other head coaches have struggled with.

And also, that no matter how well you lead that horse to water, sometimes it just f***ing won't drink.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
To be fair I’m pretty sure at this point that he’s washed and in bad physical condition. It’s not laziness.
I mean it’s all 3. The laziness certainly hasn’t changed or else the dude would’ve been a consistently elite player throughout his career. That doesn’t change randomly at 30. But combine that with the injuries and stuff it’s an awful combo.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh, laziness is playing a part. Jaromir Jagr used to be lazy AF in his prime, later in his career he was a much harder worker both on and off the ice. Johansen hasn't changed anything about his game so we get to see him take shifts off all the time. The difference between now and his time in NSH and CLB is that when he actually tries, it's still not all that good.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Being in bad physical condition probably happens because hes lazy with his off ice training. The guy has more chins than a Chinese phone book.
In the back of my mind I always entertain the possibility that because he got a pretty serious heart issue in his early 20's it's possible that after that he refused to push his cardio to the limit out of fear.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What did Ryan do (earlier) to justify the 8 million salary/cap hit?
I mean dude was a near PPG player when scoring was wayyyy lower than it is now to start his career. There was some inconsistency issues, but as a 4OA pick there was always belief that those were going to iron out. Plus his big contract came after back to back good playoff runs from RyJo.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
What did Ryan do (earlier) to justify the 8 million salary/cap hit?
He was the Preds 1C that they had traded their star defenseman (Seth Jones) to get. At that time people were saying Seth Jones was better than MacKinnon, to put it all in perspective.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
He was the Preds 1C that they had traded their star defenseman (Seth Jones) to get. At that time people were saying Seth Jones was better than MacKinnon, to put it all in perspective.
Indeed, he was seen as someone with fantastic talent.

The irony to me is that Avs management have tried to fill holes by acquiring over-the-hill veterans before, such as Brad Stuart, Beauchemin, and Iginla. Those experiments failed miserably. I also remember that they explicitly acknowledged that it was mistake.

So, why did they do it this time? Ryjo is a 30+ year-old guy with question marks about his work ethic. Maybe, it was hubris since players tend to have career years under Bednar. In any case, I think the experiment has run its course and they have to rectify their mistake.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean at that point he was certainly better than Mack. Obviously was no longer the case after 17-18 though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Johansen has always been the same guy. He just hid it better earlier.

Do everything you can to move him in a deal for an upgrade. If not, think about attaching something to get rid of him in the offseason or go the buyout route and take the $1.33M cap hit, which you can't really afford. Preferably he's gone in the next month but at worst he can't be on this team after this season. He's the worst.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Johansen has always been the same guy. He just hid it better earlier.

Do everything you can to move him in a deal for an upgrade. If not, think about attaching something to get rid of him in the offseason or go the buyout route and take the $1.33M cap hit, which you can't really afford. Preferably he's gone in the next month but at worst he can't be on this team after this season. He's the worst.
Easily one of the worst players to wear an Avs uniform imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad