Avengers: Infinity War *Spoilers* For those who have seen it. Stay away if you haven't!

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The point is overriding 14 million fates that make the one successful one come to pass. Everything Strange did and everything he allowed happen was to make that one scenario come true.

In 14 million possibilities I'm sure he saw some where he stopped Star Lord. Some where he used the time stone to stop Thanos. Those failed.

That's all well and good to say, but again, if Strange stops Star-Lord from hitting Thanos and they remove the glove, how does Thanos win if Strange immediately teleports away and gives the glove to Thor?

Or once the glove is removed, could Strange not just send Thanos falling indefinitely like he did with Loki in Ragnarok?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
That's all well and good to say, but again, if Strange stops Star-Lord from hitting Thanos and they remove the glove, how does Thanos win if Strange immediately teleports away and gives the glove to Thor?

Or once the glove is removed, could Strange not just send Thanos falling indefinitely like he did with Loki in Ragnarok?
Because, in all but one scenario, Thanos succeeds. Eventually he retrieves the gauntlet, gets all the stones and wipes out half the universe. Your scenario probably only delays him from doing it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally a Spoilers thread! thanks lol

Something I just thought about, don't you think it was convenient for Thanos to bring Gamora to the very planet where you need to kill a loved one to get the soul gem? Shouldn't the screen writers have at least have him get the time gem first for him to see the future and then bring in Gamora?

Furthmore, not unlike when Kylo Ren killed someone he loved his dad Han Solo or Anakin killing Mace Wondu, I'm beginning to be tired of this thrope. I'm not sure how much it works thematically. Sure it's an act of Evil but I don't know at a deeper level if it makes sense. I think it makes the bad guy too much go scott free as instead of the viewer hating the bad guy they go "oh it was bad but it makes sense, I understand the bad guy". Maybe i'm wrong but to me this is not the reaction you want to generate. You want for people to scream at the top of their lungs of how much they hate the guy.

And it's as if every writers in sci-fi have decided that it's the ultimate greatest idea and don't even try to come up with something new, right.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I didn't see the movie but heard about the ending. Are they even trying to be discreet about the finality of the deaths? I know it's a running thing in comic books that characters very rarely stay dead, and they have movies scheduled for characters that "died".

I don't think so and honestly I really like that. Trying to fool people for a bit and bringing guys back can get pretty tired, so being very transparent about it is a nice touch. We don't have to spend a year dwelling on it, we know it's going to get reversed. Also helps people cope with that ending, which was devastating enough in the moment but they'd probably significantly alter the perception of the movie if people believed it was going to be permanent.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Loved it. I saw it at the Imax and oh my... what a treat for the eyes. Best movie experience of my life. Arena seating with leather recliners... i don't know if i can go back to a normal theatre.

My last name in real life is Thanos and my friends have been on my case about the Spiderman scene like it was my fault lol. Well acted by that kid... and his last words were Mr Stark, I'm sorry?? Not a dry eye in the house. I cant wait to see this again.

Reactions: CPTN71

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't think so and honestly I really like that. Trying to fool people for a bit and bringing guys back can get pretty tired, so being very transparent about it is a nice touch. We don't have to spend a year dwelling on it, we know it's going to get reversed. Also helps people cope with that ending, which was devastating enough in the moment but they'd probably significantly alter the perception of the movie if people believed it was going to be permanent.

Yeah, I don’t think killing off all the newer Marvel characters would go over very well. Like you can’t just kill off Black Panther already, for example. If people thought that was permanent, I don’t think they’d be as happy. It does what a two part movie should do.. leaves you wondering what the heck is going to happen next, and what it’ll take to get those people back.

A “fake death” can still be emotional. I am holding back tears every single time at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, even though I know what happens. It’s not necessarily the death that makes you sad, but how others react in the moment of perceived death.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Absolutely incredible movie. I believe that Strange knew that they needed Tony to win against Thanos which is why he bartered Tony's life for the time stone.

That said, how can they defeat Thanos without Strange? Thor and World War Hulk?

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible movie. I believe that Strange knew that they needed Tony to win against Thanos which is why he bartered Tony's life for the time stone.

Well, spoiler alert for those who do not want to know the plot of the Avengers 4 - don't look under spoiler.
I think this movie set up a really clear basis for the next scenario: "Thanos regrets his decision to kill Gamora. He uses the Time stone to make her alive again, simultaneously erases everything that happens after her death." It is basically the only explanation why Dr.Strange gave up the Time stone and why Russo brothers spent so much time for Thanos character development and specifically his relationship with Gamora.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The stone gave that condition on the location of its hiding place. I don't think it's a catch-all condition of its use.

The guardian told them that there was always a price to use the stone. Your interpretation means that once the stone is found anyone can use it with no consequences. Does not make sense.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Well, spoiler alert for those who do not want to know the plot of the Avengers 4 - don't look under spoiler.
I think this movie set up a really clear basis for the next scenario: "Thanos regrets his decision to kill Gamora. He uses the Time stone to make her alive again, simultaneously erases everything that happens after her death." It is basically the only explanation why Dr.Strange gave up the Time stone and why Russo brothers spent so much time for Thanos character development and specifically his relationship with Gamora.
I could buy that. I also don't think Gamora is gone, entirely. I think she's part of the soul stone now. It's why Thanos got that vision after the snap, of a young Gamora.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Here is one for you all.

With Thanos gone from Titan along with Dr Strange and everyone else, how does Stark get back to Earth? What's your theory?

Does he jump on the Milano and figure out how to fly it? Got to be the only way.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Here is one for you all.

With Thanos gone from Titan along with Dr Strange and everyone else, how does Stark get back to Earth? What's your theory?

Does he jump on the Milano and figure out how to fly it? Got to be the only way.
Nebula is there with him. Presumably she can fly it.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Main characters who survived the snappening:

Iron Man
Cap
Hulk
Thor
War Machine
Black Widow
Rocket
Nebula

Fate unknown:

Ant-man
Hawkeye
Valkyrie
Shuri

The ones who died on-screen:

Loki
Heimdall
Vision
Gamora

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Real talk: Has a Drax one-liner/scene ever NOT landed? So much of the humor in the movie came from him, and it was the same in Guardians 1&2
Dave Bautista will never have a role more perfectly written for him again in his life. James Gunn gave him a movie career if he acts more after this (I know he was in a Bond movie I think).

Absolutely astonished at how good this movie was at such a grand scale. Literally my only complaints were that Spider-Man sort of seemed like Spider-Sidekick, but at this stage in his "career" and how they've set him up to be mentored by Stark, it makes sense. That and the Gamora/Thanos "sacrifice" but you know what, the more I think about it, I actually buy the "love" angle from his demented way of thinking. The Red Skull cameo was super cool.

I've seen comments online about "why didn't Strange stop Quill" and I truly think in the 14,000,000 outcomes he saw, the only one where they win is this one where Thanos gets all the stones.

Thor's arrival on Wakanda was the most hype moment I've experienced in these movies.

The only ones I potentially put above this are GOTG1, Cap2 and Thor: Ragnarok. It trumps the rest of them for sure.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
That ending was also surprisingly sad. Rocket watching Groot evaporate in front of him and then Peter dying in Tony's arms was something i did not expect (and i absolutely hate the new Spider-Man) to feel saddened by. Especially with Peter it really drives the point home fantastic abilities or not, these people are still human since he freaks out like the teenager he's supposed to be.

I think some have speculated that maybe his Spidey senses clued him in much earlier than the others so his body was going off telling him something wasn't right.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
My thoughts:

Great movie, with several buts:

--Anytime you bring time travel into the equation, you've basically invalidated the "seriousness" of the movie. Obviously the mass deaths at the end are going to be undone, considering several "dead" characters have upcoming movies already in the works. So there wasn't much emotion involved for me at all. Now, do I think Vision, Loki, Gamora, stay dead? Probably. But we'll see.

--I don't buy into at all the thought that the "old" Avengers will be whacked in the next one while the "new" ones return. I just can't see the sense from a merchandising perspective that you'll just kill off Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. Plus I hope they don't want to go the full-on DC Comics "let's be so dark everyone hates us" route. I think it's much more sensible that the rest retire in some way and hand the reigns to the younger bunch. Besides, I think Part II will be much more the Avengers kicking butt.

--I thought the post credit scene misfired. Probably 90% of the theater I was in was like huh? what? what's that? They didn't know what the logo was or what it meant, so it had little impact I thought. And on that score, if Captain Marvel is essentially the Superman of the Marvel world, if you're facing an apocalyptic villain that's wiping out billions of lives, wouldn't you make that call to your ultimate hero a little sooner?

Anyway, liked the movie a lot just didn't like the ending.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah I think comic book fans and those of us who are hardcore fans of these movies overestimate Captain Marvel's notoriety. The person I went with had NO IDEA what the symbol was a reference to, and even when I explained it was Captain Marvel she still had no idea who that is.

I don't think Fiege/Marvel Studios will have any problem getting Captain Marvel "over" with the crowds, but she is definitely not a known entity.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
My thoughts:

--Anytime you bring time travel into the equation, you've basically invalidated the "seriousness" of the movie. Obviously the mass deaths at the end are going to be undone, considering several "dead" characters have upcoming movies already in the works. So there wasn't much emotion involved for me at all. Now, do I think Vision, Loki, Gamora, stay dead? Probably. But we'll see.

--I don't buy into at all the thought that the "old" Avengers will be whacked in the next one while the "new" ones return. I just can't see the sense from a merchandising perspective that you'll just kill off Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. Plus I hope they don't want to go the full-on DC Comics "let's be so dark everyone hates us" route. I think it's much more sensible that the rest retire in some way and hand the reigns to the younger bunch. Besides, I think Part II will be much more the Avengers kicking butt.

--I thought the post credit scene misfired. Probably 90% of the theater I was in was like huh? what? what's that? They didn't know what the logo was or what it meant, so it had little impact I thought. And on that score, if Captain Marvel is essentially the Superman of the Marvel world, if you're facing an apocalyptic villain that's wiping out billions of lives, wouldn't you make that call to your ultimate hero a little sooner?

Anyway, liked the movie a lot just didn't like the ending.

That bugged me too. Why didn't call her during the battle of NY? I'd rather have her in that type of fight than Hawkeye or Black Widow. Seems like they just used that as a scene to promote Captain Marvel and give Fury some screen time but it doesn't really make sense in the Marvel Universe.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
My thoughts:

My thoughts exactly. I liked the movie a lot, but I wasn't as emotionally invested in everyone's deaths as a lot of others seemed to be, because I just didn't buy it.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Can't wait for chickenshit Hulk to finally come out in ultimate rage form when Black Widow dies or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00